Is Sram red 22 compatible with old 9/10 speed mavic wheels?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004

Is Sram red 22 compatible with old 9/10 speed mavic wheels?

Hi all, I'm building up a new frame w/ sram red 22 speed components and I was wondering if the mavic kyserium elite sl wheels free hub body is compatible or should I go ahead and order some new wheels ASAP. I tried doing a little research online but compatibility was mostly talking about shimano/sram derailleurs, chains and shifters. Any info is appreciated. (I recall hearing that it wasn't compatible but I wanted to double check). Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    After 5 seconds of Internet searching (Google: sram red 22 freehub; answer in very first hit). No.

SRAM 22 Unveiled: All New RED, Force 11-Speed Road Groups ? Tech, Weights & First Rides!

"Both will fit on any 11-speed compatible hub/freehub body, so they’ll work on any wheel that fits Shimano’s 11-speed cassettes. They will not fit on 10-speed hubs/freehub".

banned
    Jan 2011
    ^ perhaps you should have done 10 seconds of internet searching then.....

Glory Cycles Product Reviews: Converting to Shimano 11 Some Considertations

Mavic wheels since 2001 are able to lose the spacer and accept the 11 Speed Shimano cassette. No change to 2013 Mavic wheels

I have a set of mavic kyserium elite wheels and the Sram 11-speed fits without the spacer as indicated. I was also able to have my Reynolds Assault converted with a kit from Reynolds, no dishing need

RoadBikeReview Member
    FWIW: I have a defunct (cracked rim) Mavic rear from 2000 or 2001 and it has a spacer that goes behind the 9/10 speed cassette. That makes the hub 11 sp compatible?
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by crit_boy View Post
    After 5 seconds of Internet searching (Google: sram red 22 freehub; answer in very first hit). No.

SRAM 22 Unveiled: All New RED, Force 11-Speed Road Groups ? Tech, Weights & First Rides!

"Both will fit on any 11-speed compatible hub/freehub body, so they’ll work on any wheel that fits Shimano’s 11-speed cassettes. They will not fit on 10-speed hubs/freehub".
    You should really only offer advice when you know what you're talking about. Mavic free hubs have been compatible w/ 11spd Shimano/SRAM cassettes all along. All one has to do is remove the Mavic spacer that has been required w/ Shimano and SRAM 10spd cassettes and install the new 11spd cassette.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    You should really only offer advice when you know what you're talking about. Mavic free hubs have been compatible w/ 11spd Shimano/SRAM cassettes all along. All one has to do is remove the Mavic spacer that has been required w/ Shimano and SRAM 10spd cassettes and install the new 11spd cassette.
    I think the post after mine caught that - without being an arse about it. Although, I know you enjoy piling on. I did forget about the mavic spacer. My bad.

T2K in 6XC; XDM 5.25; USST 10/22 w/KIDD, VQ bolt and CF barrel - mine are cooler
    Last edited by crit_boy; 02-27-2014 at 01:25 PM.

I think the post after mine caught that - without being an arse about it. Although, I know you enjoy piling on. I did forget about the mavic spacer. My bad.

T2K in 6XC
    Don't get too worked up about it, I'm like that to lots of people. I just complimented your advice in another thread.

And you were quite snippy yourself in post # 2 of this thread.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    sweet! so you're saying I didn't need to buy new wheels then? Doh! thanks a lot Crit Boy! asdfjk;djf;akdj!

Edit:
    I bought these (carbon 50mm wheel road bike 700c clincher Light-Bicycle) last night before reading all of your replies so it's partially my fault. I am trying to see if they'll cancel the order now but if they won't, I guess I'll just use them for racing only. So it's a win-win!
    Last edited by Chainslap; 02-28-2014 at 08:44 AM.

T2K in 6XC; XDM 5.25; USST 10/22 w/KIDD, VQ bolt and CF barrel - mine are cooler
    Seriously...you're bragging that your guns are 'cooler' than mine? Like anyone cares?
    #promechaniclife