Studs on dry roads?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005

Studs on dry roads?

I was wondering if anyone has experience using studded tires on dry or wet (no ice) roads? The marketing blurb says if inflated fully, they can be used in normal conditions as the studs are on the edges, (I've just ordered some schwalbe snow studded tires) but I was wondering what cornering is like on asphalt with the studs. I have snow and ice periodicaly (in Geneva Switzerland) and rely on my bike to get to work as does my GF. She wiped out this morning when rain froze-over unexpectedly so studs have become a priority, but I was just wondering if you really have to watch out cornering on dry any way cause of the studs slipping?
    Thanks for any advice,
    Robin

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Lean angle

Studs are NOT going to give you excellent traction in the corners, simple as that. You just need to back off the speed because you are putting metal on the road (in addition to rubber) and that will reduce the grip going around corners. It's not like you have to "cat walk" around every turn, but you sure don't want to be leaning the bike over at speed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005
    I suppose its winter and I'm going to work, not out for fun, so I'll have to keep that in mind and ease off a little. Best to get there in one piece (but I always seem to run a little late).
    Thanks for the advice.