RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2018

Suggestions for new disc wheels

Hi. I just started 2 years ago with a Norco Threshold (https://www.norco.com/bike-archives/...eshold-a-sora/). Currently still riding on stock rims and looking for an upgrade with CAD$500 budget.

Any suggestions on wheelsets that I can simply plug and play?

As far as I could tell, the current setup is a 6-bolt disc brake with QR, 700c x 23 tires on the stock rims.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2015
    Is there any reason for the upgrade? Like a bent rim, broken spokes or maybe you want a wider rim?

$500 won't get you much in terms of an upgrade so you'd be better off saving the money.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2018
    Nothing wrong with them really. I been reading about first upgrades and a lot of places point to wheels as first choose, so putting some thoughts into it.

I'm not sure how much my stocks weight but maybe I could shave off a decent amount of weight off?

What price point would be considered a good upgrade starting point?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zerothe View Post
    Nothing wrong with them really. I been reading about first upgrades and a lot of places point to wheels as first choose, so putting some thoughts into it.

I'm not sure how much my stocks weight but maybe I could shave off a decent amount of weight off?

What price point would be considered a good upgrade starting point?
    My first question is what are the wheels that are on your bike now?

My second question is why do you want to upgrade? Are you looking to go faster, handle better or have you subscribed to the sheeple that say "wheels are the best place for an upgrade"? In other words, before you start throwing money at a wheel upgrade, what is it that you don't like about your existing wheels?

If it's speed you are after, you may want to read the following paragraphs from the following article. Yes, I know they are talking about tires, but the same applies for wheel weight:

"Spinning up
    Wider tires are a little heavier than narrow ones. The difference is smaller than many cyclists imagine – air doesn’t weigh anything – but a wide tire has a little more rubber and casing. Won’t this make the wider tires harder to accelerate? The answer is “No.” The reason is simple: Bicycles don’t accelerate very quickly. Even a professional bike racer’s power-to-weight ratio is far less than that of the slowest economy cars, and those don’t exactly push you back in the seat when you floor the throttle. Bikes don’t accelerate fast enough for small changes in wheel weight to make a difference. That is why professional sprinters can use relatively large wheels (which inherently are heavier) and still win races.
    The UCI requires a minimum wheel size of 55 cm, yet racers use 700C wheels that are 10 cm larger than required. If wheel weight mattered as much as most cyclists imagine, then pros using the smallest wheels would win every race. And yet, even though many have tried smaller wheels, all have returned to 700C wheels – probably because the larger wheels handle better due to their optimized rotational inertia. (But that is a topic for another post.)"

https://janheine.wordpress.com/2018/...es-are-slower/

You may also want to read through the FAQ sticky on the Wheels and Tires forum second post and answer those questions:

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/whe...ps-328429.html

Yes, I know a few of these questions are dated like rear hub width - yours is most likely 142mm.

Others are quite relevant like rider weight - very important when choosing wheels!

Oh BTW, you can get a very good wheel set for $500-700. Anything more than that is really fluff.

"With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    A wheel that has lighter rims will feel much snappier accelerating, stock rims normally are pretty heavy and unless your bike is in the $3500 and up price range, they are probably pretty crappy in my opinion. Serviceable yes for a while, performance wheels nope.

Snappier feeling wheels will make climbing feel easier and will help with acceleration but they aren't necessarily going to make you much faster, they are more fun to ride though because you feel faster. You do really need to decide what you want in a set of wheels different than what you have now to narrow the choices.

You can probably get a nice set of Custom wheels if you raise your price point a few hundred dollars. November Wheels is a builder I used for gravel disc wheels that has some nice builds for road disc.
    Last edited by Srode; 09-22-2018 at 12:42 PM.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

changingleaf
    For another $100 or so you can get wheels with much better hubs. I agree save up a little more if you want a good upgrade.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by changingleaf View Post
    For another $100 or so you can get wheels with much better hubs. I agree save up a little more if you want a good upgrade.
    Could we define "better hubs" and "good upgrade"?
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

changingleaf
    DT Swiss 350 hubs are one option that are very reliable from my experience and these are certainly an upgrade from hubs that come stock on most new bikes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2007
    DT Swiss 350 hubs are one option that are very reliable from my experience and these are certainly an upgrade from hubs that come stock on most new bikes.
    DT 350 hubs are super delightful, but let's keep in mind accuracy vs precision. If the stock whatever hubs spin freely and aren't terrible or falling apart then nicer hubs aren't going to change his experience.

On the other hand the bike comes with no-name 35c 'hybrid' tires with minimal information available. A pair of supple, grippy ~32c ~300g tires could have a much larger impact on the ride experience for 1/7th the cost.

I think if you get 8k out of a bike with a sora build and don't have to replace anything due to wear... you did good. Don't throw money at it. Ride it as it is, enjoy, and think about what you want on your next bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2018
    Thank you everyone, all very constructive suggestions.

I think I will pass on new wheels and invest that towards a 360 sports camera to use during rides and snowboarding.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by zerothe View Post
    Thank you everyone, all very constructive suggestions.

I think I will pass on new wheels and invest that towards a 360 sports camera to use during rides and snowboarding.
    Sensible. Your bike is well below 'enthusiast level,' where the quality of the bike justifies its cost and the improved ride experience is basically free if you maintain the bike and replace consumables. If you start wearing things out... get a nice, quality bike next time and ride the crap out of it.

Enjoy your bike. Upgrades are pitching money in to the wind.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bubble View Post
    A pair of supple, grippy ~32c ~300g tires could have a much larger impact on the ride experience for 1/7th the cost.
    This. Though I would emphasize the supple part with a smooth surface. Width difference not so much.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The two main problems I have with these hubs are:

1) Aluminum cassette carrier. If you are a hard or heavy rider, be prepared for some cassette gouging and even the possibility of the cassette being next to impossible to remove once the two "marry each other".

2) Noisy freehub. Some love it, some hate it. Just be forewarned.