Super Team Carbon wheels. Anyone have experience?? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Knocked out a hilly 70 miler the other day along with numerous shorter rides...still riding along with no reportable issues.

I've started using my TT bike with 808 aero wheels, so haven't been doing longer stuff on the Super Team 24mm carnon wheels lately.

You can basically stress-relieve your wheels riding them and re-tension/re-true after some miles and essentially do the same thing.

I know high-end builders like Mavic use a computer controlled stress relief machine and spoke stress gauges to re-tension their wheels at the factory after that process. If their wheels don't tension up evenly after the process, they reject them from service.

I'm pretty sure Super Team doesn't do that whole stress-relieving process...but not 100% sure of that, though!

I'm using the carbon hubs and wonder if I'd gotten the DT Swiss option hubs, if things might have built differently? The hub/rim offset could also be a factor here with loosening spokes and hub design could influence that too.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

'brifter' is a lame word.
    You might want to lower that front derailleur at some point.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    You might want to lower that front derailleur at some point.
    If you're talking about my litespeed, unfortunately it's as low as it can go in its welded-lug mount. Good eye, though. I really need to be careful when I shift down so as not to drop the chain.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by frostbite36 View Post
    You can basically stress-relieve your wheels riding them and re-tension/re-true after some miles and essentially do the same thing.
    You can do this, yes. But why not just do the job right the first time? Just stress relieve them when you build them and never have to touch them again.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

Or you can do it the correct way.

[REDACTED]
    Exactly. My take is that any new wheel instructions that state that you should have them re-trued after 100-200 miles tell me one thing - the wheel builder is LAZY. Even good machine built wheels are stress relieved. I have owned a few Shimano factory wheels and never had to re-true any of them.

Edit: And anybody who uses Loctite to keep wheels true has no idea what they are doing. PROPER and EVEN tension and PROPER STRESS RELIEVING keeps wheels true.
    Last edited by Lombard; 1 Week Ago at 04:22 AM.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Exactly. My take is that any new wheel instructions that state that you should have them re-trued after 100-200 miles tell me one thing - the wheel builder is LAZY. Even good machine built wheels are stress relieved. I have owned a few Shimano factory wheels and never had to re-true any of them.
    Exactly. The wheel is not finished if the builder is telling the buyer he needs to stress relieve it by riding.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Oh, true that...I'm not making any excuses for Super Team wheels or any shortcuts they may or may not take. I have been having troubles with the spokes coming loose, as I have reported. Otherwise, they have been good so far. It's complete conjecture as to what they do at their factory.

I have a 5.5 hour mountains ride scheduled tomorrow. Will let you know how they survive.

Oh, true that...I'm not making any excuses for Super Team wheels or any shortcuts they may or may not take. I have been having troubles with the spokes coming loose, as I have reported. Otherwise, they have been good so far. It's complete conjecture as to what they do at their factory.

I have a 5.5 hour mountains ride scheduled tomorrow. Will let you know how they survive.

So basically they're trying to self destruct...but other than that...

[REDACTED]

A 5.5 hour mountain ride on wheels that were never stress relieved? Good luck with that. Also, if spokes continue to come loose, chances are the builder trued the wheel, but didn't equalize the spoke tensions. If spoke tensions are unequal, the wheel will not hold up. It also sounds like there wasn't sufficient tension to begin with.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Ended up doing 85 miles today with only 3600 feet climbing. It was kinda hot today topping out at 100 degrees by the end of the ride, so I was going kinda slowish. They stayed true and didn't self destruct.

I'm still trying to figure out why you guys appear to have an axe to grind with me reporting my experience. I'm just riding them and trying to trash the wheels to see if they'll survive. Not everyone has the ability to true and retention their wheels like I do, so that alone could be a deal breaker. For me, it hasn't been the end of the world considering the LOW cost of purchase for some junk training wheels.

If all y'all want to do is troll, I get it. If you think you're doing some public service by steering others away from inexpensive wheels for safety reasons, I get that too. If you have specific and unbiased feedback or experience on these wheels or this company, I'm sure others could benefit, but I'm not really expecting that either.

[REDACTED]
    That's interesting that you bought a pair of cheap wheels "trying to trash them to see if they'll survive".

The fact that you know how to true and tension is a good thing. Stress relieving is pretty easy to do too, but get a pair of heavy leather work gloves.

What can I say? If they work for your purpose, so be it. But I have my doubts about these standing up to a lot of miles. I hope I'm wrong for your sake. Just because they didn't assplode on this ride doesn't mean they will last you 10K miles. Numerous red flags remain.

Nobody is trolling you. The trolls left this thread back in April. CXWrench can seem rough at times, but he's very knowledgible and has seen a lot in the bike world.

Troll? You've got to be pretty confused if you think I'm trolling. I'm sure you're talking about someone else, right?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    We're good! I'm not sure these wheels won't make 10K miles or 100 miles, but we'll see. That's the beauty of actually testing them rather than guessing on performance/longetivity based of our concept of Chinese-made.

When I went online before I picked these up, I was very disappointed in little first hand experience sharing about these wheels. There were lots and lots of folks poo pooing with no specific first hand knowledge, one or two guys who returned a set which the supplier replaced, and one guy who blew a bunch of $$ trying to fix a set at a bike shop. The guy who was trying to re-band/fix them via a bike shop appeared to spend twice as much as the original purchase price...which doesn't make any sense either! You gotta question his judgement as well.

As a general rule, when people have real and repeating issues (exploding wheels, etc.), the first thing they do after getting out of the ER, is go online and flame and complain. What I didn't find was reams of people doing that with specific complaints about this wheelset again and again. They (Superteam) certainly have sold hundreds if not thousands of sets. Where are the people with negative first hand knowledge, in the cemetary? ;)

BTW, this 24mm set are also super light weight and I am NOT super light weight, so their life span is questionable anyway, right? I'm probably pushing the envelope with my "fat" butt as it is @ 188LBS as of the end of this last ride.

Last edited by frostbite36; 1 Week Ago at 06:43 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12