Super Team Carbon wheels. Anyone have experience??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2016

Super Team Carbon wheels. Anyone have experience??

Hello all. I have been checking out a carbon set from China called Super Team. They can be found on eBay and alibaba. Does anyone here have any experience ordering them? Anyone have a set? I weigh 200lbs and they say the max limit is something like 220lbs. Would this be an issue? I believe they are 20/24 spoked. They run about $350-450 shipped. I think they look great but don't know a lot about them at this point. Thanks for any help!

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Cheap chinese wheels. Join date. Post count. eBay and Ali. If you buy them I get dibs on all your bike stuff not destroyed in the fiery crash when your wheels fail.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2016
    Yes, well that was helpful. Thank you, cxwrench.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    Spend more money and get a name brand or custom built wheel set with parts of known quality and the correct spoke count for your weight (rear wheel no less than 28 spokes and front wheel no less than 24 spokes).

Quote Originally Posted by Semtorq View Post
    Maybe if you'd bothered to do a little research on this forum and discovered what experienced members have found regarding cheap chinese wheels you would have received a different reply. My advice is exactly the same as @tvad: buy quality name brand wheels that have US distribution and support. They're designded, engineered, and tested by people that actually care about your life, not just your $$$. If you can't afford that either take your chances w/ unknown quality or buy some nice alloy wheels from one of the reputable builders that are recommended on this site all the time.

I still have dibs on your stuff.

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles

Buy Team America and win!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2016
    Thank you for the info!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Check out the sticky's on Ebay and Chinese carbon 2.0 and 3.0. Lot of good info and those wheels may have been mentioned.
    2014 Felt F2 w Williams System 45/60 carbon clinchers

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by FeltF75rider View Post
    Check out the sticky's on Ebay and Chinese carbon 2.0 and 3.0. Lot of good info and those wheels may have been mentioned.
    Thank you!

RoadBikeReview Member
    It's been a while. What did you end up getting?
    At my age, it's all uphill!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldbikah View Post
    It's been a while. What did you end up getting?
    Hello. I got a set of Easton metal wheels. I figured the carbon was not a good thing from the guys I was looking at gettingbthem from. I'm quite fine now on these wheels. Thanks for asking again after all this time!

RoadBikeReview Member
    At my age, it's all uphill!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Reviving this thread...for your entertainment!!

I am buying a set of Superteam all carbon 24mm profile clincher climbing/light wheels with the carbon R36 Hubs from "PrincessBike123" on ebay.

My normal weight is 195LBS with my triathlon racing weight around 180-185 @ 5ft 10in. My road bike size is 54-56cm. I am a very serious rider/racer and ultra distance racer. I normally identify as a triathlete, but have raced invitational ultra distance (multi-day) cycling solo events.
    These are NOT for my Time Trial (TT) bike.

LINK:
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F202171713694

This vendor appears to have a good rating (99.7%) and customer service from their online reviews.

They are going on my Litespeed Ultimate with dura ace/FSA build as my hill climbing rig to replace a set of Spinergy XAero Lite aluminum PBO rims. The Spinergy aluminum PBO spoke wheels have been great, but after 10s of thousands of miles on them and being a little heavy going up...it is time.

I mostly use this bike for epic-long (5-6000ft vertical), steep hill road climbs in the Sierras...Onion Valley, Sherman Pass, Horshoe Meadows Road, Mt Charleston (Las Vegas), etc...and regular hills training.

I'm going to risk life, limb, and my wallet for you guys, so stay tuned!!

Feel free to post recent experiences with Superteam products....especially the 24mm.

I'd say experiences from 2 years ago may not be a true reflection of present situation with this company, but I certainly don't control this page.

Let the games begin.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Semtorq View Post
    He can be cranky, but he's correct. You'd have to be crazy as hell to trust a set of bo-bo Chinese wheels of zero testing pedigree and zero liability when something happens. Get a nice set of American made aluminum wheels for a little more.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Well, the wheels finally arrived...the day before a hilly cycling leg of Rage Triathlon in Las Vegas. I had wanted to run them some miles before the event, but I just said screw it and tossed them on. Stayed up later than planned the night before the race to get them installed.

I ended up running Michelin Pro4 Tires, a dura ace 11-23 cassette, and some titanium Airborne scewers I had laying around. Didn't weigh them, but they are light by feel.

Ended up coming off the bike leg in 1st in my age group. I felt like they rode well on the hilly and windy course. I had one downhill clocked at 42 MPH in windy conditions and they felt stable. Pretty much didn't touch the brakes except coming into transition, so no long or hard braking tests yet.

The rear wheel had a spoke loosen a hair causing a very small untrue condition which I fixed on Monday at home before a fun ride with the wife. I'll let y'all know if this continues to be a problem. Also tossed on a 11-28 cassette for longer hill climbs.

My take away...they felt stiff anf light in climbing and descending in the Sprint Tri. Still paranoid about braking/heated conditions on hard sustained downhills, so I'll ease into those. The loose spoke condition will be closely monitored.

Now I'll move into a longer term test phase will longer hill climbs.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Thank you, Mr. Spambot for your update. I'm expecting an absolutely GLOWING review, with a hyperlink so that we can buy some through you within a week..........
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2014
    owned superteam carbon wheels for well over 2K miles! love mine...they never "exploded" never "fell apart" stayed more tru than the over priced wheels that came with my bikes.

Whats funny is that i see these comments on how these reputable "manufactures" do all this R&D testing...but little that they know, these wheels are manufactured at very similar, or the very same manufacturing facilities LOL! none of these wheels are made in the USA (very few are) all will say "made in china" or "made in Taiwan"

the R&D... they slap these wheels on some paid riders bike, wheel breaks, they send back to china and have them fixed/ (up spoke count, different hubs/spokes). They also at times add their own hubs and spokes..which by the way you can have them "up" the spoke count if necessary, or even suggest a hub you want..or just build yourself. Carbon wheels are generally more stiff than their aluminum counterparts, so i rarely have to tru my carbon wheels.

The bike manufacturing business is most of the time, marked up 400%! Specialized, Yeti, Cannondale, Easton...you name it, its made in China. Their design specifications, i.e. bike frames, wheel sets are what's exclusive with these over seas manufactures...however they aren't held to U.S. Patents, so this is why you will see certain carbon bike frames for sale on eBay from china, and of course, carbon wheels.

This isn't rocket science, and to have a fictitious belief "named" brand wheels are worth the extra 1500 dollars..sorry, but you are full of ****. Take that carbon wheel, replace the hub, and even the spokes, be the same exact wheel set, you will still be 1000 less and use that money for a Di2 groupset LOL

Bikes are grossly marked up, most by 400% at times. The amount it costs for these components/fames/wheels to get made at these over seas facilities is less than what we pay on EBAY! they purchase in bulk, slap their own stickers, paint..and design the bikes/wheels to their own specs. they turn said bikes on the showroom floor and sell them for 10 grand...meanwhile "actual" cost is less than a grand. Us as the consumer believes the sale price of said bikes is actual, when in fact it's not.
    Last edited by jesse101; 04-20-2019 at 07:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jesse101 View Post
    owned superteam carbon wheels for well over 2K miles! love mine...they never "exploded" never "fell apart" stayed more tru than the over priced wheels that came with my bikes.

Whats funny is that i see these comments on how these reputable "manufactures" do all this R&D testing...but little that they know, these wheels are manufactured at very similar, or the very same manufacturing facilities LOL! none of these wheels are made in the USA (very few are) all will say "made in china" or "made in Taiwan"

the R&D... they slap these wheels on some paid riders bike, wheel breaks, they send back to china and have them fixed. They also at times add their own hubs and spokes..which by the way you can have them "up" the spoke count if necessary. Carbon wheels are generally more stiff than their aluminum counterparts, so i rarely have to tru my carbon wheels.

The bike manufacturing business is most of the time, marked up 400%! Specialized, Yeti, Easton...you name it, its made in China. Their design specifications, i.e. bike frames, wheel sets are what's exclusive with these over seas manufactures...however they aren't help to U.S. Patents, so this is why you will see certain carbon bike frames for sale on eBay from china, and of course, carbon wheels.

This isn't rocket science, and to have a fictitious belief "named" brand wheels are worth the extra 1500 dollars..sorry, but you are full of ****. Take that carbon wheel, replace the hub, and even the spokes, you will still be 1000 less and use that money for a Di2 groupset LOL

Bikes are grossly marked up, most by 400% at times. The amount it costs for these components/fames/wheels to get made at these over seas facilities is less than what we pay on EBAY! they purchase in bulk, slap their own stickers, paint..and design the bikes/wheels to their own specs. they turn said bikes on the showroom floor and sell them for 10 grand...meanwhile "actual" cost is less than a grand. Us as the consumer believes the sale price of said bikes is actual, when in fact it's not.
    You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. You're wrong on nearly every point.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2014

Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. You're wrong on nearly every point.

Yea ok....i guess i am not supposed to provide my great experience with these wheels? i guess i am supposed to drink the koolaid and lie? for who?? lol

Oh and the "made in china" or "made in taiwan" just magically appear on the same wheels and frames they just dropped 1500-5K for??? do you really think they manufacture the named brand wheels here in the USA??? very FEW actually do...MOST do not!

and the R&D is a joke, im sorry, not worth a 400% markup! especially when they are sourcing their product from china and taiwan. But i guess its ok to keep lying to the masses so we can dump money into what income?

bike parts and bike manufacturers is a bigger scam than the auto business. There are no "safety standards" to where ANY company has to build their (bike, wheels, parts) specifications to...in the auto business there is...

so to come on a public forum and spew BS on how a wheel that is built in the same country/manufacturing facility as most other wheels, will automatically fail and "explode" because they didn't t slap an Easton sticker on the side...is complete BS.

Last edited by jesse101; 04-21-2019 at 03:18 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    You Sir, have no idea what you're talking about in reference to me. I bought a pair out of my own funds and am riding & racing them. I'm not associated, paid or assisted by ANY manufacturer. I don't sell any bike parts. I call it as I ride it. If they shatter and I crash, you'll hear it too.

I've also broken a pair of the Ritchie WCS race wheels in the past, so brand does not guarantee anything. BTW, they didn't come running with a new pair or stroke my head and whisper calming words during my Furnace-508 ultra distance race when they did fail. We slapped on my spares and I kept pedding for another 18 hours of the non-stop 46 hilly hours it took me to finish that year...508 miles and 29K feet climbed in a non-stop effort. I just might know a thing or two from EXPERIENCE.

I started my 13 week countdown to Ironman Switzerland, occurring July...week-1 of my training plan started this week. Though I'll race my Ridley Dean Time Trial (TT) bike at that event with different wheels, I'll be doing the bulk of my training rides on these wheels and the Litespeed pictured. About 2/3s of the way through my training, I'll exclusively start using the TT bike. Lots of hill climbing miles at Mt Charleston and Lake Mead are in store during this time for my new "junk carbon" Super Team wheels.

I did knock out a hilly 48 mile/3 hour long ride this week and the wheels performed fine. They seem stiffer than my old Spinergy PBO Xaero Lite wheels in that they seem to transmit every little bump compared with the same tire pressures.

Something else I forgot to mention, they are a slightly wider rim profile from my old wheels too, which goes with recent race wheels trends. My older 7800 Dura ace brakes barely opened wide enough to accommodate the profile!

Last edited by frostbite36; 05-19-2019 at 06:09 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Wheels update time....

I've rode two long rides with the 24mm Superteam wheels with carbon hubs since my last post. I've done a number of shorter rides, including interval sets/rides, but I'll concentrate on the longer rides in my report.

Week-2 of 13 of my Ironman training called for a moderate hilly easy effort 3.5 Hour ride...which ended up at 52 miles and 1600 feet climbed.

https://strava.app.link/gWAVroeNOW

Again, after 52 miles, some of the non-drive side spokes on the rear wheel came loose and caused an untrue condition, which I needed to fix on the road with my multi-tool.

When I got home, I trued the wheels yet again on the stand, but this time used a bit of locktight blue on the affected spokes. I've had to do this before on problem spokes on other wheelsets...with success. Let's see how it works this time?

Week-3 Had me going out for 4 hours easy effort, but a bit hillier with 2900 feet climbed.

https://strava.app.link/tlmtIf6NOW

This time, the wheels performed admirably and stayed perfectly true...finally.

So far, no other issues. They are stopping well on descents with no signs of cracks or abnormal wear on the braking surfaces.

I'm going to move them over to a new to me carbon bike I just picked up...a 52cm Masi Evolutione with all dura ace and carbon parts. Curious how this combo will work? This is an exceedingly light bike and hopefully be a good climbing combination.

Last edited by frostbite36; 05-19-2019 at 06:18 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I know four people that have Super Team wheels and none of them have had any issues... not even truing issues. In fact, two of them race and train on their wheels and they are holding up better than my Mavic Cosmic Pro SLs, which are my Sunday ride/race day wheels. Then again, I have Mavics, which isn't saying much.

Yea ok....i guess i am not supposed to provide my great experience with these wheels? i guess i am supposed to drink the koolaid and lie? for who?? lol

Oh and the "made in china" or "made in taiwan" just magically appear on the same wheels and frames they just dropped 1500-5K for??? do you really think they manufacture the named brand wheels here in the USA??? very FEW actually do...MOST do not!

and the R&D is a joke, im sorry, not worth a 400% markup! especially when they are sourcing their product from china and taiwan. But i guess its ok to keep lying to the masses so we can dump money into what income?

bike parts and bike manufacturers is a bigger scam than the auto business. There are no "safety standards" to where ANY company has to build their (bike, wheels, parts) specifications to...in the auto business there is...

so to come on a public forum and spew BS on how a wheel that is built in the same country/manufacturing facility as most other wheels, will automatically fail and "explode" because they didn't t slap an Easton sticker on the side...is complete BS.

You still have no clue and I don't expect you'll be getting one any time soon. To say that 'name brand' wheels aren't worth any more than cheap Chinese wheels because they're made in the same country is the height of ignorance. I won't waste my time going any further than that.

[REDACTED]
    Carbon wheels are generally more stiff than their aluminum counterparts, so i rarely have to tru my carbon wheels.
    This is poppycock. Carbon rims are indeed stiffer than aluminum rims. However, stiff rims do not make for a stiffer wheelset, nor do they make for a wheelset that doesn't need to be re-trued as often. In fact, if you read the article below, you will see that a stiffer rim can paradoxically cause the wheel to flex more than a less stiff rim:

https://www.slowtwitch.com/Tech/Debu...ness_3449.html

I'm not even going to touch the rest of the BS in your posts. CXWrench has addressed them quite well already.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by frostbite36 View Post
    Wheels update time....

I've rode two long rides with the 24mm Superteam wheels with carbon hubs since my last post. I've done a number of shorter rides, including interval sets/rides, but I'll concentrate on the longer rides in my report.

Week-2 of 13 of my Ironman training called for a moderate hilly easy effort 3.5 Hour ride...which ended up at 52 miles and 1600 feet climbed.

Again, after 52 miles, some of the non-drive side spokes on the rear wheel came loose and caused an untrue condition, which I needed to fix on the road with my multi-tool.

When I got home, I trued the wheels yet again on the stand, but this time used a bit of locktight blue on the affected spokes. I've had to do this before on problem spokes on other wheelsets...with success. Let's see how it works this time?

This time, the wheels performed admirably and stayed perfectly true...finally.
    If wheels are coming out of true, it is probably because they weren't stress relieved properly when they were built. That's not hard to believe. Loctite? No, stress relieve the wheels properly like they didn't do in the factory.

Also, let us all know how these wheels hold up after 5K+ miles or so. My guess is they won't.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast