RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005

Tandem rear dropout spacing?

I just bought a 97 co-motion tandem and the rear dropouts are spaced at 145mm.I also have a couple of road wheels that are spaced at 130mm. One is a Vuelta 30mm aero 36spoke wheel that has a sealed bearing,which i'm told cannot take an axle to get it to fit the 145mm dropouts. So I think that idea is done. I also have a Mavic (Cosmic Elite)30mm aero wheel that also is 130mm. Is it possible that this wheel also has a sealed bearing which leaves it out of the equation also? The bike came with original Mavic 227 40H rims laced to very nice Phil Wood hubs. I think I know the right answer here...get another 40H aero rim and relace it IMO. Any wheel people that have input would be appreciated....Thx's

'brifter' is a lame word.
    What's wrong w/ the Mavic rim? If you need to replace it keep the Phil hub and build w/ that. The reason the spacing is so wide is because you need very strong wheels on tandems. You can't get that w/ 130mm spacing wheels. You can't just throw a longer axle and some spacers at a 130 road wheel and be on your way. The tandem hubs have flanges that are much further apart and greatly increase the bracing angle of the spokes.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    Well thatís odd. Maybe I just didnít get the idea of the wide spread of the flanges on the Phil Wood hub...the rear hub flange width is 50mm. That is narrower than any of my other road bikes,so you are saying a wider hub is better for 130mm road wheel?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinman View Post
    Well thatís odd. Maybe I just didnít get the idea of the wide spread of the flanges on the Phil Wood hub...the rear hub flange width is 50mm. That is narrower than any of my other road bikes,so you are saying a wider hub is better for 130mm road wheel?
    Wider flange spacing always makes for a stronger wheel, but the realities are that you can only make it so wide and still have room for the cassette. Moving the non-drive side flange further out than "normal" doesn't accomplish much but lower the NDS spoke tension. This can be an issue if the tension gets too low. So there is a sweet spot for the NDS flange, and the DS flange is fixed due to the width of the cassette.