Thinking of purchasing Rol D-Huez what do you think, or any other suggestions?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009

Thinking of purchasing Rol D-Huez what do you think, or any other suggestions?

I had recently purchased a new 2009 Cannondale Six 5 and I am planning on upgrading the wheels. I am currently looking at the Rol D-Huez. I have looked at reviews and they seem like a good choice and within my price range. Since they only sell from the website I do not have a chance to test them before buying. I was wondering if you think it is a good idea to get these or do you have any better suggestions. I am looking for a light weight racing/ climbing wheel that is stiff and durable that I plan do use for at least 230 miles of riding a week and possible racing .Thanks for your help.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2008
    I hear they're really nice, pretty much like a ksyrium sl. I test rode a pair briefly, but couldn't really get an impression, as it wasn't my bike. However, I have a friend who races a pair that can talk about how great they are all day and night. I'd probably think about getting a pair myself, but I have a 32 spoke White Industries/Fir ISIDRIS tubular setup. Every other wheel besides mine are for little girls.The Rols are also fairly inexpense and a great deal if you can get a pro deal.

Online Wheel Builder
    Quote Originally Posted by acctnut
    Every other wheel besides mine are for little girls.
    Best quote ever!!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by acctnut
    I hear they're really nice, pretty much like a ksyrium sl. I test rode a pair briefly, but couldn't really get an impression, as it wasn't my bike. However, I have a friend who races a pair that can talk about how great they are all day and night. I'd probably think about getting a pair myself, but I have a 32 spoke White Industries/Fir ISIDRIS tubular setup. Every other wheel besides mine are for little girls.The Rols are also fairly inexpense and a great deal if you can get a pro deal.
    Other than the fact that they are NOTHING like Ksyriums...

If you want a wheelset that's bombproof, that can be used as everyday wheels, AND do everything well, get the ROL Race SLs. They are 75 grams heavier than the Huez wheels.
    ROL builds great stuff.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009
    So you think the race are better, do you think the added weight would make much difference?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009
    I looked at the race sl as well as the d huez and I am having difficulty deciding which to choose.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The 75g won't make a difference
    He has a good time in the legs

cmg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    the d'Huez has a 27mm rim, if your under 185lbs these would be fine as everyday wheels. they both use the same hubs, similar amount of spokes and both use Aerolite spokes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    In order to say if a wheel is good for you or not, one must know your weight. We already know you want them for climbing. At 200# I looked at the ROLs, but passed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by lovetranquillity
    So you think the race are better, do you think the added weight would make much difference?
    As was said below, the 75g, especially between 1475 and 1550 gram wheelsets, won't make a world of difference. I think the 30mm deep SL rims (Kinlin Niobium 30) are likely a bit tougher. You are also dealing with slightly shorter spokes.

At 180, the SLs are plenty stiff for me. They roll well and aren't at all harsh on rough roads.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009
    I am still undecided. I am leaning towards the race sl though. I am pretty much looking for the fastest wheels with no flex for a good price. I weigh around 145 by the way.

RoadBikeReview Member
    In that price range you could probably go custom and get exactly what you want.

Online Wheel Builder
    I agree a good set of custom wheels would be perfect. Why get a set of wheels that is made to appeal to as many people as possible when you could get a set that is specifically tailored for you?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen Cyclery
    I agree a good set of custom wheels would be perfect. Why get a set of wheels that is made to appeal to as many people as possible when you could get a set that is specifically tailored for you?
    Any idea where he could get some? (light, custom wheels that is) j/k

Online Wheel Builder
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue CheeseHead
    Any idea where he could get some? (light, custom wheels that is) j/k
    Well...

cmg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    "Any idea where he could get some? (light, custom wheels that is)"

Flit wheels has something similar in a 27mm rim. http://www.flitwheels.com/cone-a.html and they have something lighter...........

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cmg
    "Any idea where he could get some? (light, custom wheels that is)"

Flit wheels has something similar in a 27mm rim. http://www.flitwheels.com/cone-a.html and they have something lighter...........
    Thanks for the suggestion. I am also wondering where I could find those light custom wheels he was referring to.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by lovetranquillity
    Thanks for the suggestion. I am also wondering where I could find those light custom wheels he was referring to.
    For $589? Good luck with that...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by backinthesaddle
    For $589? Good luck with that...
    Not sure about that. I have a quote from one of our resident builders for a set of wheels that is within less than $100 of the Rols, shipped, with at least a 100 gram weight savings (mid to low 1400 gram range). And they would be built specifically for my weight and riding style/usage.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by krisdrum
    Not sure about that. I have a quote from one of our resident builders for a set of wheels that is within less than $100 of the Rols, shipped, with at least a 100 gram weight savings (mid to low 1400 gram range). And they would be built specifically for my weight and riding style/usage.
    Retail to retail comparison. I used the DT Swiss 340 hubs as they are VERY similar to the ROL hubs in weight and appearance. If you ordered the stuff online and had your LBS build the wheels, here's how it breaks out:

Kinlin Nio30 rims (from IRC) x 2 = $160 plus shipping
    DT Aerolite spokes (from wheelbuilder.com) x 44 = $121 plus shipping
    DT Swiss 340 Front hub (bikeparts.com) = $148 (+ship)
    DT Swiss 340 Rear hub (universalcycles.com) = $262 (+ship)
    Labor (average is $35 per wheel)) x2 = $ 70

Total = $761 plus whatever shipping one would pay to get the parts.

You can have lighter wheels built, but they will likely cost a bit more. Use WI or DT Swiss 240 or 190 hubs, and the price goes up.
    Some builders discount their prices to hold a tight margin, but for comparison's sake, I did retail vs. retail.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Retail to retail comparison. I used the DT Swiss 340 hubs as they are VERY similar to the ROL hubs in weight and appearance. If you ordered the stuff online and had your LBS build the wheels, here's how it breaks out:

Kinlin Nio30 rims (from IRC) x 2 = $160 plus shipping
    DT Aerolite spokes (from wheelbuilder.com) x 44 = $121 plus shipping
    DT Swiss 340 Front hub (bikeparts.com) = $148 (+ship)
    DT Swiss 340 Rear hub (universalcycles.com) = $262 (+ship)
    Labor (average is $35 per wheel)) x2 = $ 70

Total = $761 plus whatever shipping one would pay to get the parts.

You can have lighter wheels built, but they will likely cost a bit more. Use WI or DT Swiss 240 or 190 hubs, and the price goes up.
    Some builders discount their prices to hold a tight margin, but for comparison's sake, I did retail vs. retail.
    Many builders are able to get items at wholesale or dealer costs. Is they are running a business, they should not be paying retail. Just like I'm sure Rol is making a margin on their stuff compared to raw material costs and labor. So, I'm not sure that is an entirely fair comparison.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by krisdrum
    Many builders are able to get items at wholesale or dealer costs. Is they are running a business, they should not be paying retail. Just like I'm sure Rol is making a margin on their stuff compared to raw material costs and labor. So, I'm not sure that is an entirely fair comparison.
    No, it's an entirely fair comparison. $589 is ROL's retail price. The $761 for the built wheels is a retail price. Of course builders get their stuff at wholesale. That's beyond obvious. My comparison was apples to apples for what an average consumer would spend, out of pocket, for both wheels.

RoadBikeReview Member
    No, it's an entirely fair comparison. $589 is ROL's retail price. The $761 for the built wheels is a retail price. Of course builders get their stuff at wholesale. That's beyond obvious. My comparison was apples to apples for what an average consumer would spend, out of pocket, for both wheels.
    Ok, I just know that there are custom builders out there that will get much closer to the $600 range for a build with better specs than you outlined that would be lighter than the Rols and specifically speced for the buyer.

And to be honest, and I'm not looking to get into an argument here, but I'm not entirely convinced it is apples to apples unless you were going to build the wheels yourself (not really a valid comparison to someone who builds for a living or serious hobby for additional income) or collect all the parts and have your lbs build the wheels for you (again, paying full retail + shipping is doubtful since the lbs would likely be getting a break of some sort through the distributor(s) for the needed parts, making you collecting them really a waste of money). If you want the biggest bang for your buck, there are other routes to explore.

Online Wheel Builder
    Kinlin Xr 270 rims
    Sapim Cxray spokes
    White Industries hubs
    1449 grams
    695.00$ shipped

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen Cyclery
    Kinlin Xr 270 rims
    Sapim Cxray spokes
    White Industries hubs
    1449 grams
    695.00$ shipped
    And there are others in a similar price range, shipped.

I've yet to take the plunge and go custom, but I have done a decent amount of research. If/when the finances turn around a bit, it will be my next big upgrade.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast