thoughts on wider rims for 25-30mm tires
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006

thoughts on wider rims for 25-30mm tires

I am building up a wheelset for my Waterford using Phil Wood road hubs. I'll be running mostly 28mm tires (Challenge Parigi-Roubaix or other) and need some advice choosing the correct rim. I am thinking of using the new Velocity A23 front and rear to take advantage of a wider profile the tire will take. But I have seen graphs where 19mm wide rims like the Velocity Aerohead where up to 32mm tires can be used. I would consider the Aerohead because I could get the OC version for the rear making a strong wheel. I am 155 lbs and would not be racing. This wheelset will be for fast club rides and leisurely centuries. If I could save some weight to offset the Phil Woods would be a plus. Ditching the Phil's for CK or WI is not an option.

So, for a 32h 3X wheel using a 28mm tire for my 155lb weight:
    1) Velocity A23
    2) Velocity Aerohead OC
    3) Velocity Synergy
    4) Other?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to post.

Dan

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    My 'cross bike has the usual 15mm inside width rims, and 35mm tires. I run a little higher pressure than I'd like to to keep things stable and not pinch-flatting, though. So, I think I see where you're coming from. Although, I gotta say I weigh 2 lb less than you and I'm pretty happy with 23mm for road use. Even like them better than 25mm. (Flame suit donned. But seriously - not the same for a light person.)

If you want to do a little wider and you want to do an off-center build, and the theory of why that's better certainly makes sense to me, why not go Synergy and Synergy O/C? It's not an either/or thing in this case...

EDIT: And if you're being weight-conscious... narrow tires and rims are lighter. At least, when they're otherwise comparable.

RoadBikeReview Member
    You should have no trouble running 28-32 mm tires on Aeroheads or Open Pros. I had some wheels built with Velocity Dyads to accommodate wider tires and wish I had just stuck with OPs or Aeroheads because they're lighter. The main problem with the wider rims is you can't swap wheels with other road bikes without readjusting the brakes.

Here is a photo of my Salsa Casseroll with Open Pro wheels and 32 mm Ritchey Cross-Max Pro tires. They fit the rims just fine with no problems.

However, if you are deadset on wider rims, the Velocity A23s are getting great reviews and they weigh about the same as Aeroheads.
    Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    That's a beautiful bike Tarwheel2

I fling Poo
    A23 front and Synergy rear should be fine. With a 32 3x the A23 will be plenty strong enough for the rear and the listed weight is not that much heavier than the aerohead. I am not sure how much stronger the OC is going to make it anyhow. I have checked the spoke tension and it does make it a little closer to the drive side but I am not sure that it makes a drastic difference in spoke life on the non-drive side. If you were to use a synergy OC it would be a little heavier, I see contradicting numbers to how much. The weight of the wider tires is going to be more significant than the 40 or so grams the rear rim would make.
    From what I have seen so far, some bigger guys have been delivering a beating to the A23's and I haven't seen a disaster yet. I have seen 2 spokes pull thru on Aeroheads OC's but thats a really popular rim and both of those guys were better than 240 on 32 spoke wheels.
    At 155 I don't think any of them would be the wrong choice

Sweet setup Tarwheel
    "Batteries not included
    May contain traces of nuts
    Your mileage may vary

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Thanks for your advice bradXism. Right now I am leaning towards A23s front and rear.

I fling Poo
    Rereading your post, Heavy Phil wood hubs will make no noticeable difference in your bike performance. All of the weight is in the middle of the wheel where it makes no difference at all. Plus you can get them in 'Oh so sweet colours' that are nice to stare at when you are off the bike. Its just that I am cheap and Novotecs are almost free.
    I have been riding A23's 32 hole 3x on the rear for a while on my cross bike with 28's. This is what I do most of my solo time on. Like you I prefer to have a 32 on the rear. Drive side spokes seem to last significantly longer before I hear that 'ping'.

I really came back to the post to gawk at Tarwheels bike a little more. That mirror is the same as mine and I would not give it up for my middle testicle. Not having it on my other bike made me feel vulnerable and I advise everyone to put up with the crap they may get from others and get one.
    "Batteries not included
    Your mileage may vary

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Is that mirror, The Italian Road Mirror?

I fling Poo
    Quote Originally Posted by dantheviking View Post
    Is that mirror, The Italian Road Mirror?
    Mine is a sprintech.
    "Batteries not included
    Your mileage may vary

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sprintech mirror. It gets out of adjustment every time I hit a bump, but otherwise it's a good mirror.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dantheviking View Post
    I am building up a wheelset for my Waterford using Phil Wood road hubs. I'll be running mostly 28mm tires (Challenge Parigi-Roubaix or other) and need some advice choosing the correct rim. I am thinking of using the new Velocity A23 front and rear to take advantage of a wider profile the tire will take. But I have seen graphs where 19mm wide rims like the Velocity Aerohead where up to 32mm tires can be used. I would consider the Aerohead because I could get the OC version for the rear making a strong wheel. I am 155 lbs and would not be racing. This wheelset will be for fast club rides and leisurely centuries. If I could save some weight to offset the Phil Woods would be a plus. Ditching the Phil's for CK or WI is not an option.

So, for a 32h 3X wheel using a 28mm tire for my 155lb weight:
    1) Velocity A23
    2) Velocity Aerohead OC
    3) Velocity Synergy
    4) Other?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to post.

Dan
    Using a wider rim will make the tires profile wider, but shallower. You'll have to use higher pressure to avoid pinch flats. For more stable and sure cornering, you want a round profile provided by narrower rims.
    Last edited by Jesse D Smith; 08-30-2011 at 06:17 PM.

I fling Poo
    Quote Originally Posted by tarwheel2 View Post
    Sprintech mirror. It gets out of adjustment every time I hit a bump, but otherwise it's a good mirror.
    I had the same problem, popped it out, wrapped 2 layers of electrical tape around the knob and put it back in. Perfect. The mirror got popped out a couple times putting it in/out of the car trunk and the tape got bunched up but I just redid the tape. One of mine is scratched up now, I can see fine but I have been too lazy to get a new one. One of the times it popped out I didn't realize until I started riding. Didn't think it would be an issue, but was constantly looking for it on my ride.
    The Italian one seemed too small.
    "Batteries not included
    Your mileage may vary

A guy from Norway
    H+SON TB14

Sidewalls are machined before anodizing
    Not the lightest around, but beautiful
    I have a few of the hard anodized in..