Is this tire no good?

Printable View

• 07-18-2019
    Soaring Vulture
    1 Attachment(s)
    Is this tire no good?
    I have Continental Grand Prix 4 season tires. I noticed that a piece of the mesh that covers both sidewalls was torn off:
    https://forums.roadbikereview.com/at...d=325517&stc=1
    Does this damage the tire and make it unsafe to ride? It doesn't look like anything under the mesh was damaged.
  • 07-18-2019
    duriel
    If it starts bulging, then it's a problem. I don't run those tires but all those outside cords are just for show, the real cords are in the black rubber.
  • 07-19-2019
    SPlKE
    Just don't go down any hills, or over 5 mph and you should be fine.

Seriously, though, why put your life in danger to save a few bucks?

I strongly recommend replacing it before your next ride.
  • 07-19-2019
    Kerry Irons
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    Just don't go down any hills, or over 5 mph and you should be fine.

Seriously, though, why put your life in danger to save a few bucks?

I strongly recommend replacing it before your next ride.

If there is no bulge in the side wall, then the tire casing is not compromised. Concern is one thing, but it doesn't have to be irrational concern.
  • 07-19-2019
    SPlKE
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    If there is no bulge in the side wall, then the tire casing is not compromised. Concern is one thing, but it doesn't have to be irrational concern.

I'd err on the side of caution, given the GP series' poor reputation for sidewall failures.

I trash any tire that has any part of its structure compromised, beyond simple punctures in the tread area. I hate surprises when I'm on long rides, and especially when barreling down a hefty descent where a tire failure could be lethal.
  • 07-19-2019
    duriel
    If your worried about those cords on those tires, I would not buy those or ride them.

But why would a tire manf put structural cords on the outside of the tire, unprotected by anything?
  • 07-19-2019
    SPlKE
    Quote:

Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    If your worried about those cores on those tires, I would not buy those or ride them.

But why would a tire manf put structural cords on the outside of the tire, unprotected by anything?

Probably because people were beefing about all the GP sidewall blowouts.
  • 07-19-2019
    mfdemicco
    If you are worried, put it on the back wheel. Safer if you have a flat in terms of being able to control the bike. Doesn't look bad to me.
  • 07-19-2019
    Jay Strongbow
    Quote:

Originally Posted by duriel View Post

So they are structural now? What happened to 'just for show' like you said?

Anyway, it's either bulging and a problem or not and not. Sticking a boot in there, even if not needed, wouldn't hurt.
  • 07-20-2019
    Lombard
    Do you have dental insurance?
  • 07-20-2019
    velodog
    It's a sidewall scuff, I'd ride it. If something like that is a concern on those tires it's time for a different brand tire. I agree that the structural cords are inside.

Next time don't park so close to the curb.
  • 07-20-2019
    SPlKE
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Do you have dental insurance?

Dammit!

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Lombard again.