Interesting interview of Josh Poertner.

Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Interesting video, thx for posting.
    Liars often accuse you of lying. - Steve Maraboli
    The word of the week = racist.

What the what???
    Is there a tl;dr summary?
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy you better leave something in the tank for the turn...

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    Not really, but it's definitely worth the time if you're interested in things like rolling resistance, tire materials, pressure, vibration, etc.

The guy's an engineer who started Silca. Engineers, in my experience, are not usually tl;dr-able when they're explaining stuff.

What the what???
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    Not really, but it's definitely worth the time if you're interested in things like rolling resistance, tire materials, pressure, vibration, etc.

The guy's an engineer who started Silca. Engineers, in my experience, are not usually tl;dr-able when they're explaining stuff.
    Ah. Okay. I'll check it out in a bit. Thanks.
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy you better leave something in the tank for the turn...

RoadBikeReview Member
    all I learned is that 140 psi is too high.

already knew that...
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2003
    The guy's an engineer who started Silca.
    You're only off by about 100 years.

Russian Troll Farmer
    ..... Engineers, in my experience, are not usually tl;dr-able when they're explaining stuff.
    Hey! I resemble that remark!
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by asgelle View Post
    You're only off by about 100 years.
    Opps. He's the owner and president. I thought he looked too young to have started such an old company.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Yup. Many people ride with too much pressure because their tires "feel faster" when they are hard. High pressure results in faster tire wear, higher suspension losses, reduced traction, and less comfort. And with gravel riding, there is an argument that casings under higher stress (from higher pressures) cut more easily.

This is the essence of the argument being made for the past decade or more by Jan Heine at Bicycle Quarterly (backed up by extensive testing). It's only taken the bike industry a decade to catch on.

δanned
    The obvious: Most people run tire pressure that is too high.

The not so obvious:

--If you can hear high frequency sounds as you cruise down the road, that is not synonymous with fast. Humans are terrible at gauging speed via sound, which is why we still get hit by trains (he literally says this in the video). Generally speaking, the quieter you roll the faster you're going.
    --To find ideal pressure you should work your way down in small increments until you feel the most comfortable smoothness. If you start bobbing when pedaling, you've gone a few PSI too low.
    --Wider tires are still generally faster, but not all tires are made equally. Material (i.e. latex vs butyl) can have drastic consequences on efficiency.
    --Asphalt road which appear smooth aren't always smooth because of the "negative spaces" (gaps). They cause your tire's flat spot to deform as badly as protruding bumps.
    Ghurarmu shirkush’ agh azgushu. Zant ya apakurizak. Gűl-n’ anakhizak.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by SauronHimself View Post
    The obvious: Most people run tire pressure that is too high.

The not so obvious:

--If you can hear high frequency sounds as you cruise down the road, that is not synonymous with fast. Humans are terrible at gauging speed via sound, which is why we still get hit by trains (he literally says this in the video). Generally speaking, the quieter you roll the faster you're going.
    --To find ideal pressure you should work your way down in small increments until you feel the most comfortable smoothness. If you start bobbing when pedaling, you've gone a few PSI too low.
    --Wider tires are still generally faster, but not all tires are made equally. Material (i.e. latex vs butyl) can have drastic consequences on efficiency.
    --Asphalt road which appear smooth aren't always smooth because of the "negative spaces" (gaps). They cause your tire's flat spot to deform as badly as protruding bumps.
    Good tl;dr.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by SauronHimself View Post
    not all tires are made equally. Material (i.e. latex vs butyl) can have drastic consequences on efficiency.
    I think you are talking about tubes, not tires. For tires, the thing that has the biggest effect is how supple the casing is, followed by rubber compounds and thickness.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    I think you are talking about tubes, not tires. For tires, the thing that has the biggest effect is how supple the casing is, followed by rubber compounds and thickness.
    When the tech gets worked out, graphene doped tread on a synthetic/biotech sourced spider silk casing should make for incredible tires.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Bremerradkurier View Post
    When the tech gets worked out, graphene doped tread on a synthetic/biotech sourced spider silk casing should make for incredible tires.
    Personally I have my eye on PFM (Pure F#@$ing Magic TM) technology to take tires to the next level. Combine PFM with a solid grounding in Business Physics and you have a world beating situation.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    He also did an interview with Jan Heine that has very similar content. That video is also worth a watch...

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    I used to be a high pressure tire guy.

I've been running lightweight Vredesteins for the past 5 or so years. Love 'em to death, being a former longtime Conti GP 3000 through 4000 series aficionado/evangelist who got tired of flats and suboptimal cornering. (But hey, that's a subject for a whole 'nother "spirited" "debate" thread! My debate position... Resolved: Conti GP series are overrated, overpriced flat magnets, regardless of the top-notch rolling resistance specs and eternally glowing reviews. Bam!)

Anyway, the Vreds I buy have manufacturer's recommended pressure something like 120-145 psi printed on the side.

So I would typically run them at around 120 f / 130 r. 700x23.

Now I run em at around 90 and all is well. I'm a heavy rider. When I'm particularly fat at the beginning of the season, I might run 90 f / 100 r, the extra lbs. to support the extra lbs. in my buttocks.

The transition to lower pressure all started in threads here on RBR... primarily with cx yelling at people about running too much pressure... in addition to yelling at people for asking about tire pressure in the non-Wheels and Tires subforums.

Now that I'm a convert to lower pressure, I'd gladly take the next step and go with a wider tire, but alas, my 1997 LeMond (which I still love and look forward to riding) hasn't got the clearance for anything wider than a 23.
    Last edited by SPlKE; 1 Week Ago at 07:21 PM.

'brifter' is a lame word.

I've been running lightweight Vredesteins for the past 5 or so years. Love 'em to death, being a former longtime Conti GP 3000 through 4000 series aficionado/evangelist who got tired of flats and suboptimal cornering. (But hey, that's a subject for a whole 'nother "spirited" "debate" thread! My debate position... Resolved: Conti GP series are overrated, overpriced flat magnets, regardless of the top-notch rolling resistance specs and eternally glowing reviews. Bam!)

Anyway, the Vreds I buy have manufacturer's recommended pressure something like 120-145 psi printed on the side.

Now I run em at around 90 and all is well. I'm a heavy rider. When I'm particularly fat at the beginning of the season, I might run 90 f / 100 r, the extra lbs. to support the extra lbs. in my buttocks.

The transition to lower pressure all started in threads here on RBR... primarily with cx yelling at people about running too much pressure... in addition to yelling at people for asking about tire pressure in the non-Wheels and Tires subforums.

Now that I'm a convert to lower pressure, I'd gladly take the next step and go with a wider tire, but alas, my 1997 LeMond (which I still love and look forward to riding) hasn't got the clearance for anything wider than a 23.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to SPlKE again.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    I tried to help you out, but I couldn't neither.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member

I've also been a fan of Vreds in 23's and 25's but been using Compass/Rene Herse since riding my 650b 42mm's. I like the Compass tires enough that when it comes time for tires for the other bikes I'm gonna try the Compass 700c 26mm. I'd like to compare them to the 25mm Vreds.

Sorry to hear that your bike is restricted to 23's, luckily I can fit at least 25's on my other bikes.
    Last edited by velodog; 5 Days Ago at 06:29 AM. Reason: spelling
    Too old to ride plastic

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Same here. Someone help us out, please!
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Same here. Someone help us out, please!
    I got him for you guys.

I was in a similar situation with an old Tarmac Pro frame I had, loved the fit but wanted a little more comfort. What I ended up doing was going to a tubeless 23mm with that old Stan's kit that included TL tires, valves, sealant, and rim tape to convert any rim to tubeless. I know some people don't like tubeless but it worked great for me in that situation.
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!