Tire Pressure Apps
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014

Tire Pressure Apps

Anyone have any real world experience with the tire pressure apps that are out there? Basically these calculators work with rider weight or rider plus bicycle weight, tire size and width, and weight distribution between front and rear wheels.

Found there are several apps for IOS and Androde while there are calculator websites for Vittoria and Silca.

MDM
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by GKSki View Post
    Anyone have any real world experience with the tire pressure apps that are out there? Basically these calculators work with rider weight or rider plus bicycle weight, tire size and width, and weight distribution between front and rear wheels.

Found there are several apps for IOS and Androde while there are calculator websites for Vittoria and Silca.
    There's an Excel spreadsheet out there that's based on the 15% tire drop criteria and testing that Frank Berto developed some years ago. That has worked pretty well for me for road and gravel bikes. My mountain bike pressures have been determined by trial and error.

Banned Sock Puppet
    A website, not an app, this one is pretty good, has been around for quite some time and uses the 15% drop method:

Bicycle tire pressure calculator

Enter your numbers in the 2nd box and use 45%/55% weight distribution. 40%/60 will give you too much difference between front and rear pressures.
    "COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL - VOTE in November." - System Shock.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by GKSki View Post
    No app can tell you what the right tire pressure is for you. The depends on you, your bike, your tires, your roads, and your style of riding. They're all equally good at providing a starting point, but from there, you'll have to decide what's best for your individual priorities.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2015
    The Vittoria app doesn't even allow for tire width. And it says at my weight I should run 130/135 psi on front/rear.

What I do run is 60/80 psi on 28mm tires.

I don't trust any app, other than taking the 15% drop method as a good starting suggestion. In fact it's what got me away from running hard-as-a-rock psi. My bike changed from a brick to a sports car.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by bobf View Post
    The Vittoria app doesn't even allow for tire width. And it says at my weight I should run 130/135 psi on front/rear.

What I do run is 60/80 psi on 28mm tires.

I don't trust any app, other than taking the 15% drop method as a good starting suggestion. In fact it's what got me away from running hard-as-a-rock psi. My bike changed from a brick to a sports car.
    I agree that these are starting points and you need to tweak pressures to what works for you. The link I sent comes pretty close to what I use.

130/135??? That doesn't sound right unless you weigh north of 300lbs.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by asgelle View Post
    No app can tell you what the right tire pressure is for you. The depends on you, your bike, your tires, your roads, and your style of riding. They're all equally good at providing a starting point, but from there, you'll have to decide what's best for your individual priorities.
    This is it. For "narrow" tires, start with 90 psi (6.2 bar) front and 100 psi (6.9 bar) rear. It will be too high unless your tires are very narrow or you are quite heavy. Drop the pressure a few psi and see how you like it. You'll probably end up closer to 80/90. For "wide" tires start with 70/80 and go from there. Usually lower is better but if you are not a careful rider and just can't seem to avoid pinch flat situations, you'll be at the higher end.

Whatever you do don't get sucked into the "feels faster" sensation you get from high pressures. The data do NOT support it. The "feels faster" mind set led us to 19 mm tires. Insanity.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    130/135??? That doesn't sound right unless you weigh north of 300lbs.
    Agreed. You'll have to try the app. I weigh 190 (86kg), and I entered a total weight of 95kg for me and my bike.

What the what???
    The calculator suggested 208psi. I'm no expert, but that seems a bit high to me...
    Given his penchant for nicknames, and his aversion to reading, I've decided to shorten Donald J. Trump to it's essence: Dump*

I was "social distancing" before it was cool.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobf View Post
    Agreed. You'll have to try the app. I weigh 190 (86kg), and I entered a total weight of 95kg for me and my bike.
    OMG that app is beyond horrible.
    There's not even an option for tire size. 130psi in a 23mm or a 28mm

But what do ya expect. They can't even draw a bicycle correctly.

Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    Whatever you do don't get sucked into the "feels faster" sensation you get from high pressures. The data do NOT support it. The "feels faster" mind set led us to 19 mm tires. Insanity.
    ^This.^ A harsh ride will feel faster even though it isn't.

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    The calculator suggested 208psi. I'm no expert, but that seems a bit high to me...
    I think I know what's going on here. Your app must be weight per tire. Take 55% and 45% of that weight and you will get what you should have in each tire...........roughly.

Again, this one is pretty good And again, use the 2nd box:

Bicycle tire pressure calculator

I use 75 front/90 rear in my 28mm tires. I could use less, but I'm lazy and only pump up once a week.

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

MDM
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2020
    What do you think about the Silca tire pressure calculator? I think it's based on a survey of what the pros use. The front tire pressure seems too high. I could also care less about what pressure the pros use.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MDM View Post
    What do you think about the Silca tire pressure calculator?
    It's a complete turd. One of the worst. Recommends 20psi over what I run.

I think it's based on a survey of what the pros use.
    The Silca Professional Pressure Calculator
    Silca has spent the past few years amassing what is considered by most to be the largest collection of data in the world of tire size, pressure, rider weight, and course. From this data, the team at Silca has developed a tire pressure algorithm which fits more than 4000 optimal pressure data points from more than 100 athletes on more than 90 ProTour, Triathlon, CX and Gravel races worldwide.

What a completely ridiculous method to amass data. Cyclists are notorious for doing things based on habit or history, not based on what works best. And of course, almost ALL pros are riding tubulars. I don't give a $#it what pressure pros run their tubular tires.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

MDM
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    It's a complete turd. One of the worst. Recommends 20psi over what I run.

The Silca Professional Pressure Calculator
    Silca has spent the past few years amassing what is considered by most to be the largest collection of data in the world of tire size, pressure, rider weight, and course. From this data, the team at Silca has developed a tire pressure algorithm which fits more than 4000 optimal pressure data points from more than 100 athletes on more than 90 ProTour, Triathlon, CX and Gravel races worldwide.

What a completely ridiculous method to amass data. Cyclists are notorious for doing things based on habit or history, not based on what works best. And of course, almost ALL pros are riding tubulars. I don't give a $#it what pressure pros run their tubular tires.
    Agreed.