Tire recommendations
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2015

Tire recommendations

I'm looking for new tires, 700X28 preferred or 700X32 for my road bike and want something that will be safely inflated at 65 psi with tubes. Looking at manufacturer's recommendations I see max pressures listed but rarely minimum or recommended pressures.
    In the past I have found that when pressures get low tires can start to wobble at speeds above 35 mph so something with strong sidewalls is necessary. I'm 190#. This happened with Vittorias and Michelins but I don't remember which models.
    I just put on a set of Continental Ultra Sport II wire bead 700X32 and have them at 65 psi (recommended). I was using Continental Ultra Sport II folding 700X28 inflated to 80 psi (recommended minimum). The comfort level of the 32s is better than the 28s but the handling of the 28s is better in my opinion.
    Any recommendations or sources where I can find information?

JSR
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    I’m running 32mm Bontrager R3 clinchers at 60/65 psi. I like ‘em.

[REDACTED]
    Which Vittorias did you have? I have Rubinos and never felt any wobble.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Have you looked at Compass\Rene Herse tires?
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by jdsyachts View Post
    Looking at manufacturer's recommendations I see max pressures listed but rarely minimum or recommended pressures.
    Sometimes you will see a pressure range for a tire, but that is only meaningful for the max. There is no such thing as a recommended minimum because it depends heavily on the rim used. The only issue for too-low pressures is the tire bead coming off if the tire severely distorts (e.g. when cornering hard). Given that the tire company doesn't know how much you weigh, how could they offer a recommended pressure?

The primary guideline is that if you need over 100 psi or so to prevent pinch flats, get wider tires (and/or ride more carefully). Beyond that, go as low as you want for comfort and tire stability - distortion when cornering hard. Your weight, your riding skill, and the quality of your local road surfaces will determine whether 65 psi is OK at any given tire width.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Which Vittorias did you have? I have Rubinos and never felt any wobble.
    IIRC they were Rubino Pro Slicks in either 23 or 25 widths.

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by jdsyachts View Post
    IIRC they were Rubino Pro Slicks in either 23 or 25 widths.
    Well OK, if your tires were 23 or 25mm, at 190lbs, 65PSI would be too low and would explain the wobbly feeling. I doubt you would have the same feeling with a 28 or 32mm tire at the same pressure, regardless of the sidewall structure.
    Last edited by Lombard; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:22 AM.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    OP, What's printed on the label of many tires is one of the great mysteries of the world. It is a fact (not opinion) that the bottom range can be ignored. No one aside from track riders would ever get near the top but that may actually have meaning. I don't know.

For example, I just looked at my tires and the min. is 115. That would be insane as MAX for me at 145 pounds nevermind as a min.

Saying you want 28mm OR 32MM that can be inflated to 65PSI indicates you should learn about the relationship between size and PSI.
    28 at 65 is nothing like 32 at 65. Given the same rider weight PSI needs to go down as size goes up.

At 190 pounds 28 at 65 is probably too soft and you'd get pinch flats. 32 at 65 might be about right for you although for me at 145 pounds that would results in the tire being WAY TO HARD and 28 at 65 would be about right.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2015
    Well OK, if your tires were 23 or 25mm, at 190lbs, 65PSI would be too low and would explain the wobbly feeling. I doubt you would have the same feeling with a 28 or 32mm tire at the same pressure, regardless of the sidewall structure.
    At that time I was running higher pressures, normally 105-120. Occasionally pressure got to about 90-100 if I didn't pump up before a ride.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    OP, What's printed on the label of many tires is one of the great mysteries of the world. It is a fact (not opinion) that the bottom range can be ignored. No one aside from track riders would ever get near the top but that may actually have meaning. I don't know.

For example, I just looked at my tires and the min. is 115. That would be insane as MAX for me at 145 pounds nevermind as a min.

Saying you want 28mm OR 32MM that can be inflated to 65PSI indicates you should learn about the relationship between size and PSI.
    28 at 65 is nothing like 32 at 65. Given the same rider weight PSI needs to go down as size goes up.

At 190 pounds 28 at 65 is probably too soft and you'd get pinch flats. 32 at 65 might be about right for you although for me at 145 pounds that would results in the tire being WAY TO HARD and 28 at 65 would be about right.
    Yuppers. My graveling rig has Specialized Sawtooth 700x42mm tires on it. Label says 50PSIMin-80PSI max. I don't know what fool on earth would run 42mm tires at 80PSI. Only when bagged-touring do I only do even 50PSI. Absolute overkill.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Yuppers. My graveling rig has Specialized Sawtooth 700x42mm tires on it. Label says 50PSIMin-80PSI max. I don't know what fool on earth would run 42mm tires at 80PSI. Only when bagged-touring do I only do even 50PSI. Absolute overkill.
    Same here; with Schwalbe 50's on the bike, I've been riding 30 psig front, 35 psig rear with no problems...
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    [QUOTE=velodog;5341031]Have you looked at Compass\Rene Herse tires?[/QUOTE
    y

yes, got the r herse650b x 38 loup loup pass on my breadwinner b-road, great riding, durable, grip well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    [QUOTE=trumpetbiker;5341837]
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Have you looked at Compass\Rene Herse tires?[/QUOTE
    y

yes, got the r herse650b x 38 loup loup pass on my breadwinner b-road, great riding, durable, grip well.
    I'd like to see pics of that Breadwinner.
    Too old to ride plastic

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post

^^^This.^^^

Just for some perspective, I am around 175lbs and this is what I run on my bikes:

700c x 28mm: 70F/90R

700c x 36mm: 45F/55R

650b x 47mm: 25F/35R

The larger the tire volume and the less load on them, the less pressure you need.

Boyle's Law:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boyle%27s_law

As far as the min and max pressures listed on tire sidewalls, as Jay said, it's a mystery. Not sure if their law departments have anything to do with these figures.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Same here; with Schwalbe 50's on the bike, I've been riding 30 psig front, 35 psig rear with no problems...
    On my Schwalbe Marathon Mondials, 40mm width, I run them at 30psi rear and 27 front (tubeless).

Recommended is 50-85 and even at 40 they are really harsh. That was as low as I could run with tubes, though. I started off about 65 and worked my way down in pressure to find what worked best for me.

Russian Troll Farmer
    My personal rule-of-thumb is that each of my bikes gets (from being completely deflated) 13 full strokes from the floor pump on the front tire, and 15 full strokes on the rear.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I run my 28's at 60/65, when they get feeling low I checked them and they were 45/50 ish.
    Unless your doing freaky high speed hairpins, lower ride so much better.
    BANNED

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    I run my 28's at 60/65, when they get feeling low I checked them and they were 45/50 ish.
    Unless your doing freaky high speed hairpins, lower ride so much better.
    Interesting. How much do you weigh?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    I wonder what's with the trend of 28/32mm tires. 32mm tires are the width that cyclocross riders ride on. People ride 32mm slicks on the road?

Fine, you may say you literally ride on the worst roads on earth. They ride 25/27mm tires on Paris Roubaix.

At what point do u stop? Why not go mtb tires at 30 psi... Riding on clouds

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sramred View Post
    I wonder what's with the trend of 28/32mm tires. 32mm tires are the width that cyclocross riders ride on. People ride 32mm slicks on the road?

Fine, you may say you literally ride on the worst roads on earth. They ride 25/27mm tires on Paris Roubaix.

Paris Roubaix is a race, many people choose tires for reasons that include factors other than speed, like comfort and that's why the trend for wider tires. When I ride my gravel bike with slicks they are ReneHerse 35mm and it's a super smooth ride and I give up very little for rolling resistance vs 25mm conti 4000sII.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member

There is a lower weight limit imposed in professional races, yet there are those who go to great lengths to make their bikes lighter and lighter than those limits, at what point do you stop?
    Too old to ride plastic

Adorable Furry Hombre

A few annoying facts:

A) The UCI ProTour road peloton....basically exclusively race on virgin new blacktop. The kind of silk smooth roads virtually no amateur cyclist on Earth gets to ride on in real life

B) CX and road are *racing* and not just riding while doing it. They want the barest minimum eschewing comfort for speed. 32mm CX tires are even pushing it for conditions CX races ride in, particulaly in thaw or wet.

C) They have their own private SAG to fix all their flats all along the route.

D) Most people riding bikes are not the 130lb racer featherweights you see in races. They typically weigh 30-50% more minimum....that class needs to max-pressure clinchers just to not pinch flat on 20-25mm tires.

Personally, I prefer a smoother ride that is also faster when I'm riding. Who doesn't? Do you like having your fillings rattled out?

Personally #2, I don't like riding less than 38mm tires even on road. The roads are just absolute crap. Potholes, bad expansion joints, debris, you name it. Bigger tire at lower pressure means it is more comfortable and less flats. Win win.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010

-Cross riders use 33mm tires because it's a rule. They used 35 when that was the max allowed.

-The average pro racing Paris Roubaix is a heck of a lot lighter than the average person killing time on the internet talking about what tires work best for them.

You seem like a new cyclist who follows the "debate now, learn later" rule. Consider reversing that order.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Interesting. How much do you weigh?
    172-6-ish. Note: Where I ride the roads have rough chip seal sections plus my new bike has rims which are almost as wide as the tires, but POTHOLES and such are virtually non existant as we hardly have any freezing weather
    BANNED