Tire recs for how I ride
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008

Tire recs for how I ride

My good bike (spec rbx) came with roubaix pro tires on it, which are now done after 1500 miles or so. The rear has a hole in it and the tube protrudes (looks like a zit). My riding is basically on good roads, in nice weather (ride a cross check when it gets nasty or for commuting). One thing I did like about the tires was that they were 23-25, and I was thinking of putting 25s on there. Am willing to spend 50-60 per tire. For now, no more than one trainer session per week, and likely less since the weather's good. (I'm replacing them both, as if the front one had gone I'd be writing from a hospital bed).

The only racing that I do so far is in triathlons. Otherwise, it's pure recreation/see how fast I can go, get in shape, and keep the weight off. I did think the rbx tires were pretty smooth, but had no basis for comparison. For those of you who are local, I ride mostly in the DC area (out macarthur to potomac and points west). These rides are "my time" so calling for spousal SAG support is a bummer on many levels.

Looking for best ride (Clincher) with flat protection, realizing that there are not too many places where the quality of the road is going to be an issue.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    conti GP4000's might be a good choice.

banned
    Dec 2009
    another vote for continental tires, If u want to save a few bucks and still get amazing flat protection at the cost of a little grip, Conti Gatorskins for ~$45

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Front tire replacement?

Quote Originally Posted by hrumpole
    I'm replacing them both, as if the front one had gone I'd be writing from a hospital bed.
    Unless the front tire is all cut up, you will likely find no real reason to replace it. Tires wear due to power dissipation, and front braking doesn't usually scrub much rubber off. Get a new tire for the front and move the old tire to the back. It'll save you a bunch of $$.

Adventure Seeker
    I've heard the Vittoria's with the higher tpi's are very nice riding. I've used the Conti's before, and they were OK, but mine were red, and people say (which I can't confirm) that the black ones are nicer.
    I was thinking about Conti, but decided to give the Schwalbe tires a go. I like unique! The only reason I didn't get the Vittoria's is because the 25's are said to be 24's, and I really want larger for ride quality. Maybe I should have gotten them anyway...
    I have a single track mind