Tire widths for 700x28 clinchers
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010

Tire widths for 700x28 clinchers

My bike came with Clement Strada LGG 700x28 (28.3mm) but I replaced one tire with a Continental Grand Race 700x28. My Continental tire did not have enough clearance causing it to rub against the frame. I was told by my local LBS that Continental's run slighter larger in width than my Clements. Didn't get a lot of wear out of my Clements. Any other options out there that do not exceed the width of my Clements? I do not want to go to 25's but I have to be careful because frame clearance is tight. Thx.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Just get yourself a gravel bike. Problem solved.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Seems there was a thread a few years ago about tire/rim combinations and width. would be great if that was resurrected to help with these types of questions which aren't uncommon.

What was the width of the continental you tried on your rims and why don't you want to use a 25mm?
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

"The Spirit of the Party "serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection

xxl
    IIRC, that old thread mentioned that tire sizes varied within makers, even year-by-year.

Also IIRC, I thought Michelins and Vittorias ran a touch narrow. My guess is that if the OP's bike is working such close tolerances, rolling "28s" that aren't actually that big will be a trial-and-error process.

Disclaimer: I have been known to recall things incorrectly, so....
    Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Donald Trump has never won a popular vote in a governmental election.

There are over 13 million covid cases in the United States (as of Thanksgiving), eleven months after Donald Trump said it was "totally under control," and that "it's gonna be just fine."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    If you don't do any burnouts before your ride, you will get more miles from the rear tire.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010

700x28 tires

The Continental's were also 28's but my LBS told me they run a little larger than others and he has had that problem before with bikes in his shop. I want to stay with 28's for comfort.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010

700x28 tires

I'll see if I can locate that older IRC site and will check out the two other brands. Thx for that info.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hartley1 View Post
    The Continental's were also 28's but my LBS told me they run a little larger than others and he has had that problem before with bikes in his shop. I want to stay with 28's for comfort.
    When I asked what width the continenals were, I meant the actual width not the manufacturers claimed size.

Manufacturer marked size doesn't drive comfort really, it's the actual mounted width and volume of the tire. If you have a 25mm tire in one brand, with about the same width as another brand, you're probably not going to notice the difference.

Something else to consider, most people overinflate tires too, dropping pressure by 5psi would likely make the difference negligible as well, or Latex tubes maybe.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

"The Spirit of the Party "serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection

RoadBikeReview Member
    I never heard of the Conti Grand Race but I had GP 4000's in 28 that measured 31.5mm after a couple of rides. The GP 4k in 700x25 will probably get pretty close to 28 if you can still find them although the GP 5k (current version) is true to size and is a great tire.
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

Banned Sock Puppet
    Why not just get another set of Clements - now Donnelly Tires:

https://www.donnellycycling.com/collections/road
    "Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital." - Aaron Levenstein.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I do not want to go to 25's

Tires measure what the measure regardless of what number is printed on the side.
    It makes no sense to stay away from tires with 25 printed on the side. Just like you have recently found out by using 28 and finding out they are too big you may find that 25, from certain brands, are just right.

But if that's what you want Veloflex tires are very narrow relative to the number printed on the side and they make a 28 now.

And it sounds like Conti 25 would be about right.

dcb
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    This site has some listed and actual width info: https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...d-bike-reviews

They measure with a 17.8mm inside diameter rim at 60 psi. So, probably lower pressure than most run with < 30mm width tires. It looks like most tires end up at 1-2mm wider than specified width at 60 psi.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010

tire width

Unfortunately, the site you suggested doesn't have listings above 25's. Thx anyway.

dcb
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    You know what I didn't even notice that. Sorry. Given the interest in wider tires now it's kinda' odd that they've stuck with 25mm and below in that segment.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Unfortunately, the site you suggested doesn't have listings above 25's. Thx anyway.
    They do have charts for touring and gravel tires too:

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/tour-reviews

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...gravel-reviews
    "Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital." - Aaron Levenstein.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010

tire width

Thx again. I'll check these out as well.