Tired into a Corner: Road Plus
    Who are you?

Tired into a Corner: Road Plus

I have the Surly Midnight special running 27.5 tubeless WTB Horizon 47 with Honjo Smooth 62 black fenders. The Horizons are nice, but are not worthy of snow. I’d like to get a set of tires with more tread for early winter, followed by a studded tire for MN winters.

The Horizons fit the fenders, so I’m thinking 47 is the upper end. Granted, tire manufacturers may not accurately represent the true size.

Any recommendations? Hopefully I can get this resolved before the snow flies.
    Instant gratification is not quick enough.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by theGliberal View Post
    I have the Surly Midnight special running 27.5 tubeless WTB Horizon 47 with Honjo Smooth 62 black fenders. The Horizons are nice, but are not worthy of snow. I’d like to get a set of tires with more tread for early winter, followed by a studded tire for MN winters.

The Horizons fit the fenders, so I’m thinking 47 is the upper end. Granted, tire manufacturers may not accurately represent the true size.

Any recommendations? Hopefully I can get this resolved before the snow flies.
    Have you looked at Rene Herse (formerly Compass)? They pretty much rule the high performance wide road & gravel tire market?

Who are you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    Have you looked at Rene Herse (formerly Compass)?
    Thanks for the recommendation. So many tires. So little time.
    Instant gratification is not quick enough.

[REDACTED]
    The WTB Horizon is a smooth tire with no tread. I'm guessing the tire you are looking for is for "nuisance snow". WTB does make a few other tires in your size with more of a tread. I have the Byways which are smooth in the center, but have light knobs at the edges:

https://www.wtb.com/collections/tires-1/products/byway

If you want something a little more aggressive, there is the Venture which would probably be a good choice for the conditions you describe:

https://www.wtb.com/collections/tire...oducts/venture
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein