Tires for Bontrager race X Lites
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003

Tires for Bontrager race X Lites

I have an older Madone with Bontrager Race X Lite wheels and I need new tires. Where I've moved to the roads are really rough, pavement is terrible. Will 28mm tires work with my current Dura Ace set up?

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    Sure, they'll work on those wheels. Chances are good they'll fit inside the D/A brake calipers but you'll have to try to know for sure. It will definitely depend on the tire make/model as they're all different. Chances are also good that the tire will be so much wider than the rims that you'll have to let air out to get the tire between the brake pads for install/removal of the wheel. You also won't be able to fully take advantage of the wider tires because your rims are so narrow...you won't be able to go down in pressure as far as you could with wider rims.
    #promechaniclife

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Bigger question... will they fit in your frame?
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    Thanks guys, what is the largest that would work with those problems? I'm running 700X23 now maybe I shoul go with a gatorskin or something similar

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    Dunno, you'll have to try some tires and see what works. You might only get a 25mm tire in the frame as tlg posted.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Gatorskins or something similar would be a poor choice for terrible pavement. Unless by terrible you meant getting flats.

I have no idea if 28mm tires will fit on a older Madone. Try a search. Very popular frame so I'd guess someone has asked the same question and others have reported experience somewhere on the internet.

Keep in mind not all 28mm (or any MM) tires are the same width.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    and to add, even if a 28mm tire will fit at riding psi, it may still rub your chainstays in a flat situation. This happened to me when I once put in a 28mm tire that barely had room to spare at the chainstays.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Keep in mind different tire brands labelled 28mm will measure different. Continentals run on the high side. Vittorias run true to even slightly low.

Maybe what you could do is buy one Vittoria Rubino Pro 28mm and try it on the rear where the chain stay will be the limiting factor. If there is at least 3mm on each side, buy the other one. If not, you will need to go down to a 25mm.

Also keep in mind that even if there is clearance, if it is minimal, the tire will rub on climbs as the wheel flexes. And those wheels you have are like noodles. Enough of that will eat your stays.
    "COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL - VOTE in November." - System Shock.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.