too many flats with Grand Prix 4 Season, any alternatives with similar performance?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2002

too many flats with Grand Prix 4 Season, any alternatives with similar performance?

About 6 flats the past two months. 25c and 28c. All tiny thorns getting through tread, not sidewall, not like gashes, holes or rips. Tires only have about 2500 miles. 75kg rider, 75 to 85 psi, 17mm ID rim, if it matters.
    Under impression they are arguably the best performance clincher with puncture resistance. Anything similar in a training tire that doesn't feel wooden or weigh a lot more?

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    That was my experience too. I switched to a new brand when I'd finally had enough of the GP series, having been a GP-series aficionado/evangelist for years. Best rolling resistance! Great reviews! Etc.!

After doing a lot of research, I switched to various iterations of Vredestein tires. I've been happy with the weight, performance, longevity and flat resistance relative to the GP series tires.

When I was riding GP series tires, I always carried TWO spare tubes and a patch kit. I recall needing both tubes on some long rides.

Since I switched over to vreds a few years ago, I began carrying one tube and a patch kit. I only needed the spare tube once after a snakebite flat from running over a large stick (small log?) in low light conditions when I was hammering hard to get home before dark.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    That was my experience too. I switched to a new brand when I'd finally had enough of the GP series, having been a GP-series aficionado/evangelist for years. Best rolling resistance! Great reviews! Etc.!

After doing a lot of research, I switched to various iterations of Vredestein tires. I've been happy with the weight, performance, longevity and flat resistance relative to the GP series tires.

When I was riding GP series tires, I always carried TWO spare tubes and a patch kit. I recall needing both tubes on some long rides.

Since I switched over to vreds a few years ago, I began carrying one tube and a patch kit. I only needed the spare tube once after a snakebite flat from running over a large stick (small log?) in low light conditions when I was hammering hard to get home before dark.
    I'm carrying two tubes and a park glueless patch kit, too.
    Which vred training tire you recommend I look at for late winter spring training?

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by bikewriter View Post
    I'm carrying two tubes and a park glueless patch kit, too.
    Which vred training tire you recommend I look at for late winter spring training?
    I like the tricomp. I forget which kinds I've ridden on. I usually go for the lightest ones that are on sale.

One caveat: some of the lightest vreds, like tricomp slicks, don't last as long as other tire brands. But they're a joy to ride.

All the vreds I've ridden take corners noticeably better than the best GP-series tires I've ridden on, including raceday-only GP Supersonics.

A lot of "recovering GP riders" here like Schwalbe tires.

I'm game to try a new brand this season.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    I like the Rubino Pro tires, having had very few flats with them. But then, I get very few flats in general.

I generally run the Rubino in the winter and the Corsa in the summer.

Excel Sports has some great prices on tires. Rubino Pro IV for $22 and the Panaracer EVO3 for $24

RoadBikeReview Member
    I used to run Conti GP 4Seasons but have switched to Vittorias. My tire of choice. Rubino Pro Control G+. They are excellent in against flats, roll very well, and are long lasting. Corsas are great for racing but they wear out fast in my experience. Compared to Corsas, GP4000/GP5000s do last longer even if they aren't as light.

BTW, the Black Chili Compound used by Continental is actually the same as the G+ compound used in Vittoria's.... Graphene. Same guy that developed the Contis compound left Conti and went to work for Vittoria- hence the tires using the same compound.
    Last edited by terbennett; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:31 PM.

Banned Sock Puppet
    I've been using Vittoria Rubino Pro G+'s for a couple of years now. Only flat I had was when the rear tire was approaching the end of its life. Speaking of which, I generally get 3000 miles out of a rear road tire, so the 2500 miles on your tires is approaching end of life for the rear.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bikewriter View Post
    About 6 flats the past two months. 25c and 28c. All tiny thorns getting through tread, not sidewall, not like gashes, holes or rips. Tires only have about 2500 miles. 75kg rider, 75 to 85 psi, 17mm ID rim, if it matters.
    Under impression they are arguably the best performance clincher with puncture resistance. Anything similar in a training tire that doesn't feel wooden or weigh a lot more?
    When you say tiny thorns, do you mean like goat-heads? If so, there's no tire that alone will keep those out. You're better off going tubeless if you can't avoid riding where these are prevalent (and I'm no fan of tubeless). GP4Seasons are pretty bombproof if you avoid things like thorns. I don't think I've ever had a flat with one. Until now having said that
    Well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man. - The Dude

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yeah, I was going to say tubeless also with the number of flats you are having. I never had issue with the 4 seasons tires other than they didn't last very long, Great traction in cold/wet weather. But it's been a could years since I've ridden on them - I use a trainer now instead this time of year.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett