RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012

Trouble with Tires on Trainer

OK, I mistakenly placed this post in the general forum. My apologies. Let's try this again.

I've been riding an indoor Kurt Kinetic trainer for about 5 years. I recently switched over to a Wahoo Snap.

Here's the problem: With the Kurt, I had an older bike with Vredestein TriComps, 700x25 that lasted YEARS both on and off the trainer. No punctures (can you believe that one) and rubber surface still good.

Recently, I had to retire the old bike, got a Synapse 11-speed last August fitted with Schwalbe Luganos, 700x25. For the autumn, I rode outside and inside on the Kurt. No problem - yet. I picked up a Wahoo Snap smart trainer in February, riding maybe 4 - 6 hours total a week.

The Luganos are now TOAST! Rubber delaminating all over the place!

OK, OK, I know, there are trainer-specific tires out there, but, but, what about the TriComps and the terrific longevity?

So, my question is do the Luganos just suck, or is the Wahoo tough on tires?

Another question is, short of buying a spare wheel equipped with a trainer-specific tire, is there a decent tire out there, clincher 700x25 (no tubeless please), that can go either road or trainer? My LBS recommended Challenge, but they seem to be puncture-prone.

I'm tempted to put on the Vredesteins, but they have pretty high rolling resistance and might meet the same fate on the Wahoo.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

wheelbuilder
    Not sure about the tires you mention, but I can say the Cyclops trainer tire sucks. I gave it a go and they start off nice. Then casing falls apart and one I had a blowout. The other I stopped using when there was a large deformation. I'm currently using a Schwalbe Durano I had laying around. So far so good.

PS - On a Tacx Bushido (also smart trainer)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gmvgmvgmv View Post
    Another question is, short of buying a spare wheel equipped with a trainer-specific tire, is there a decent tire out there, clincher 700x25 (no tubeless please), that can go either road or trainer? My LBS recommended Challenge, but they seem to be puncture-prone.
    I would not say that all Challenge tires are puncture prone. Their hand made open tubulars have a reputation for problems such as delaminations, but their vulcanized tires seem to have good reviews. Right now, I'm running the vulcanized version of their Gravel Grinder 120 TPI tire on my gravel bike. So far, no problems. Some people I know rave about the Challenge Strada Bianca, but I believe their skinniest tire is 30mm. Here again, I would avoid any open tubular versions and go with their vulcanized version.

The bottom line is the faster and more comfy the tire, the more puncture prone it will be. At one end of the spectrum, the Maxxis ReFuse is nearly bomb proof, but rides rather harsh. At the other end of the spectrum, the Vittoria Open Corsa has a reputation for riding smooth as silk, but there isn't much puncture resistance.

Right now, I'm running a pair of Vittoria Rubino Pro G+s which so far, are a nice compromise between comfort and puncture resistance. I don't know how they would hold up on the trainer though.

BTW, you said you had to retire your old bike. Is it still good enough to make it a dedicated trainer bike? If so, why not just use some cheap bombproof rubber on it for the trainer?
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I've had the same Conti GP4000 on the trainer for like 5 years now and it's fine. Maybe 1000 trainer miles per year.

I used to use that same bike/tires on the road and trainer and that was fine too. Personally I had side-wall problems on the road with those so never again but they are decent for traditional puncture type flats and lots of people have had better luck with the sidewalls. I think I read they'd since beefed up the sidewalls too.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Since the OP is using a different trainer is there any chance that it's adjusted so there is more pressure against the tire...causing more flex, which results in more heat, thus killing the tire?
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Since the OP is using a different trainer is there any chance that it's adjusted so there is more pressure against the tire...causing more flex, which results in more heat, thus killing the tire?
    Now that you mention it, possibly.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I've had good luck with Vittoria Zaffiro Pro Home Trainer tires using KK Road Machine. I got two winters and there's plenty more left.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    To OP - did you do the complete calibration on the Wahoo snap, including spindown time to adjust pressure of rear drum on tire? You may have too much pressure, which BTW also can affect accurate power readings.
    The best tire I've found for trainers is the GP4000S, by far the best for both mixed indoor trainer and outside use. Much better than a couple of old Rubino Pros, which wore out relatively fast in comparison.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Z'mer, I did a calibration/spindown test on both the Wahoo app and Zwift when I first got the unit back in February, but have not done so since. Perhaps that's the problem. I'm kinda lazy when it comes to this sort of stuff, being more interested in just getting on the bike and riding.

Thanks for the suggestion. I guess I'll have to be more conscientious going forward.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Z'mer, I did a calibration/spindown test on both the Wahoo app and Zwift when I first got the unit back in February, but have not done so since. Perhaps that's the problem. I'm kinda lazy when it comes to this sort of stuff, being more interested in just getting on the bike and riding.

Thanks for the suggestion. I guess I'll have to be more conscientious going forward.
    My friend has one of these Snaps, and was having problems believing the power readings. He also did an initial calibration, once, but re-mounted the bike many times after that. We then read the instructions, and found out you need to do the calibration every time you mount the bike...but that may only be essential for accurate power readings (they say 3% accuracy now).

Also there have been a few Kickr Snap software updates, he needed to get the latest.
    Not sure why the difference in tire wear from the old trainer, except maybe the programmed increase in load to simulate hills is the issue?

I use a Kinetic Road myself, and no issues now with the GP4000S on the rear. Other softer tires were wearing more quickly, so I stick with the Contis now for the trainer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Z'mer, do you have any experience with the Contis on the road? I've narrowed down my choice of replacement tires for the crappy Luganos currently in use to the Continental Grand Prix 4000S II 2014 and the Schwalbe One V-Guard 2014. It would be nice to have a tire that can withstand Snap-trainer use and also be pressed into service on the road. Living in the bowels of the megalopolis here in NYC, I spend as much time on the trainer as on the road, even in the warmer months.

I've heard great things about both tires, particularly on bicyclerollingresistance.com. I really hate flats though, and the Contis have a slightly lower puncture resistance with pretty much the same rolling resistance as the Schwalbes.

Any thoughts on this? I appreciate your input, and thanks for everything so far.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Z'mer, do you have any experience with the Contis on the road? I've narrowed down my choice of replacement tires for the crappy Luganos currently in use to the Continental Grand Prix 4000S II 2014 and the Schwalbe One V-Guard 2014. It would be nice to have a tire that can withstand Snap-trainer use and also be pressed into service on the road. Living in the bowels of the megalopolis here in NYC, I spend as much time on the trainer as on the road, even in the warmer months.

I've heard great things about both tires, particularly on bicyclerollingresistance.com. I really hate flats though, and the Contis have a slightly lower puncture resistance with pretty much the same rolling resistance as the Schwalbes.

Any thoughts on this? I appreciate your input, and thanks for everything so far.
    I have tons of road experience outdoors with the 4000SII. They are great road tires, probably the most popular tire in the 25c size for high mileage road use. However...

If they have one weakness, it's sidewall cuts. I'm not 100% sure it has been resolved if this is due to extra supple (=thin) sidewalls, or an that occasional manufacturing defect slips through.

In the past, there have been occasional reports of sidewall cuts/blowouts on low mileage 4000S tires. And yes, I saw one a few years ago myself, but not since, and have gone though maybe 5 or 6 tires since, no problems.

Personally, no problem at all with tread punctures / flats. They are for sure the longest wearing tire I have ever used, especially in the back which is where tires wear fastest.

No experience with any Schwalbes. I use mostly Conti and Vittoria.
    some amazon reviews
    https://www.amazon.com/Continental-G...5M1QZYZP0RAFKM

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Z'mer View Post
    In the past, there have been occasional reports of sidewall cuts/blowouts on low mileage 4000S tires. And yes, I saw one a few years ago myself, but not since, and have gone though maybe 5 or 6 tires since, no problems.
    I think the sidewall failure reports are a little overblown. The only way to make a tire more comfortable is to give it flex somewhere. The only reasonable way to do this is to make the sidewalls thinner and more supple. Naturally, this will mean they will be more vulnerable to cuts and punctures.

In the grand scheme of things, tread puncture resistance is the primary concern for road riding. Sidewall cuts are rare for road riding. But sooner or later, there will be a road hazard you simply will not be able to avoid for whatever reason. I remember riding with someone who hit an unavoidable bad pothole due to passing traffic. I hit the same hole. My tires survived unharmed, both his tires were sliced.

While I am not a fan of Conti tires, I don't have anything against them either. IMO, there are less expensive offerings from Vittoria that are just as good.