Which tube to use as spare when riding zipp 404?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

Which tube to use as spare when riding zipp 404?

I am looking for a long stem presta tube to carry with me as a spare in case I flat on the 404. I don't want to carry a tool to change the valve extender over do the make presta tubes with stems that long?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    Yes, most make tubes with longer stems.

80mm should do it. I use Bontrager ones with my 58mm carbon rims.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I must say I have been lucky with latex tubes and often do not even carry a spare tube; instead I have a small bottle of sealant and RVC tool. But Schwalbe SV20 X-light XX-long with 80mm valve stem (RVC) is not a bad butyl tube at less than 80 grams.
    Tiremaniacs
    Continental - Schwalbe - Vittoria
    Racing and Training Cycling Tires

RoadBikeReview Member
    Lots of good tubes on the market. Specialized makes a really nice light weight butyl tube that weights less then 70 grams with the 80mm presta called the Turbo tube. I haven't had any problems with their tubes.

I've never tried sealants except for Slime and it doesn't work above 70psi. I know that Specialized makes a sealant called Airlock (they also make a tube called Airlock with the sealant already in it), but since I never used it nor known anyone who has I can't vouch for it. But the instructions say a 8 ounce bottle will fill two tubes thus you have 4 ounces of sealant in each tube, that's 113 grams in addition to the tube, why not just buy a better tire with better flat protection? After all you best line of defense against flats is your first line of defense...the tires. No sealant will stop a leak larger then a pin hole but a tire can prevent it in the first place.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I use Tufo Extreme and used it once and successfully. It was not even a puncture but a split 'seam' of the tube near the valve - some 1.5mm long and Extreme sealed it perfectly. I tend not to ride and race with the sealant in (proactively); why spend $$$ on a light bike and then make it heavier; for racing it actually might be a good call but .... fingers crossed
    Tiremaniacs
    Continental - Schwalbe - Vittoria
    Racing and Training Cycling Tires

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have found the 80mm valvestems from various names including Bontrager that are of a normal weight, Sunlight tubes also of normal weight, and Conti of "race" weight.