Tubeless Tire Pressure - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2019
    Admins please close this thread.

The post was about preferred tubeless pressures. Not people’s personal opinion about using tubeless or the archaic tubes from the 80’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    lol someone is hurt by the internet

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by golfnbike13 View Post

The post was about preferred tubeless pressures. Not people’s personal opinion about using tubeless or the archaic tubes from the 80’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Stop reading is another option.

It wasn't a thread about getting a little sealant peeling off between the tire and rim either but that didn't seem to stop you.

[REDACTED]

Welcome to RBR, Golfnbike13!
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member

Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Ooo! Ooo! It's about time somebody fixed the Internet! Props to you for sorting this out.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm going to be doing a ride in Utah soon. As a clincher guy, I was concerned about goat heads, so I've decided to go tubeless for the ride. I'm a 210-215 pound clyde usually running 90/100 front and back on 28 clinchers, figured I can get away with around 10 less on each with tubeless. What say you?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wetworks View Post
    I'm going to be doing a ride in Utah soon. As a clincher guy, I was concerned about goat heads, so I've decided to go tubeless for the ride. I'm a 210-215 pound clyde usually running 90/100 front and back on 28 clinchers, figured I can get away with around 10 less on each with tubeless. What say you?
    At least 10 less, probably 20 less.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

'brifter' is a lame word.
    I'm w/ Srode...probably 20psi less. You should run your clinchers at that pressure too.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

changingleaf
    I agree, 10 to 20 less. Enjoy!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    I'm w/ Srode...probably 20psi less. You should run your clinchers at that pressure too.
    Yea? You think I can get away with that?! Music to my ears, I'll start experimenting. Thanks everyone!

Yea? You think I can get away with that?! Music to my ears, I'll start experimenting. Thanks everyone!
    Absolutely. I refuse to over-inflate a tire hoping to avoid a pinch flat. I keep my eyes open and if for some reason I miss a pothole or small animal and end up w/ a pinch flat every now and then so be it. The 99.999% of the time I'm not pinch flatting I'll have better traction and a nicer ride.

[REDACTED]
    Even at his weight? I'm 175lbs and run 70F/90R in my 28mm clinchers. Then again, keep in mind I usually carry 6-8lbs in my beam rack. I'm also lazy and don't pump up more than once a week.

CX, what pressures would you use in my position?
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Even at his weight? I'm 175lbs and run 70F/90R in my 28mm clinchers. Then again, keep in mind I usually carry 6-8lbs in my beam rack. I'm also lazy and don't pump up more than once a week.

CX, what pressures would you use in my position?
    I'm 170 so pressure would be about the same. Say you use 100psi in a 23mm tire and we agree that every tire size you go up you can drop roughly 10psi and maintain the same tire 'feel'. That would put you at 80ish for the rear. But...as you go up in tire size you're increasing air volume and that helps protect the rim even more, so you can usually drop the pressure a bit more to get better ride quality. I would inflate 28mm tires to around 70-75, and about 10psi less for the front. I have 44mm Rene Herse tire on my cx bike now, on my rims they measure 40mm. I'm inflating the rear to 40psi and the front 50 35 and I swear I could go lower.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I tried 80/95 today on the clinchers; what a world of difference! I'm riding Schwalbe 1s on Roval C38s and I am so much happier with how they feel on descents. Can't wait for my new bike to come to try out the tubeless.

I tried 80/95 today on the clinchers; what a world of difference! I'm riding Schwalbe 1s on Roval C38s and I am so much happier with how they feel on descents. Can't wait for my new bike to come to try out the tubeless.
    The tubeless isn't (or shouldn't be) going to be much different. The tubeless tires generally have a thicker/stiffer casing because they have to hold air w/ no tube. People shouldn't (but do) run tubeless at lower pressure than clinchers. I actually lowered my 44mm RH to 30/35 today and they felt a little better than 35/40. Tubes/clinchers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The tubeless isn't (or shouldn't be) going to be much different. The tubeless tires generally have a thicker/stiffer casing because they have to hold air w/ no tube. People shouldn't (but do) run tubeless at lower pressure than clinchers. I actually lowered my 44mm RH to 30/35 today and they felt a little better than 35/40. Tubes/clinchers.
    Understood, thank you. I'll continue to experiment with the clinchers for now. Can't believe I was so (wrongly) scared to do this sooner

[REDACTED]
    I'm 170 so pressure would be about the same. Say you use 100psi in a 23mm tire and we agree that every tire size you go up you can drop roughly 10psi and maintain the same tire 'feel'. That would put you at 80ish for the rear. But...as you go up in tire size you're increasing air volume and that helps protect the rim even more, so you can usually drop the pressure a bit more to get better ride quality. I would inflate 28mm tires to around 70-75, and about 10psi less for the front. I have 44mm Rene Herse tire on my cx bike now, on my rims they measure 40mm. I'm inflating the rear to 40psi and the front 50 35 and I swear I could go lower.
    Interesting, thanks! Only 10PSI less in front though?

One anecdote I have. As I said, I pump up about once a week. At that point, pressures are below 60F/80R. I noticed my Strava times were faster on the rides I did after letting pressures drop. Of course there are too many other factors which could have contributed, but just saying.

What pressures would you run on 700c x 36 and 650b x 47? Right now I'm running 50F/60R on the former and 30F/40R on the latter. I drop them lower if running on mostly dirt/gravel.

Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Interesting, thanks! Only 10PSI less in front though?

One anecdote I have. As I said, I pump up about once a week. At that point, pressures are below 60F/80R. I noticed my Strava times were faster on the rides I did after letting pressures drop. Of course there are too many other factors which could have contributed, but just saying.

What pressures would you run on 700c x 36 and 650b x 47? Right now I'm running 50F/60R on the former and 30F/40R on the latter. I drop them lower if running on mostly dirt/gravel.
    I go with 10 psi difference most of the time, especially at the lower pressures. I still have a fairly low bar position so I like to keep the pressures sorta close. For 700 x 6 I'd try your 50/60 to start, that sounds good. I dropped the pressure on my 44mm RH yesterday to 30/35 so I'd probably try that on the 47mm tires and maybe go down a bit from there.

[REDACTED]
    I go with 10 psi difference most of the time, especially at the lower pressures. I still have a fairly low bar position so I like to keep the pressures sorta close. For 700 x 6 I'd try your 50/60 to start, that sounds good. I dropped the pressure on my 44mm RH yesterday to 30/35 so I'd probably try that on the 47mm tires and maybe go down a bit from there.
    Thanks CX! Interestingly, I did a 2-day "loaded tour" where I was carrying probably about 30 extra pounds. However, I didn't adjust the pressures and stayed with 50/60 on my 700 x 36 tires. No issues and ride was nice. I recently lowered those same tires to 40/50 on a crushed cinder trail ride and still no issues, nice ride and no feeling of being "held back".

On a side note, when I did the loaded tour, the gearing up the hills left a bit to be desired. Rather than change the drive train, I think I'm going to use my 650b wheels with 42mm tires next time I do this in order to get a little lower low gearing. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe a 650b x 47 tire is about the same diameter as a 700c x 30 tire. So going to a 650b x 42 should be similar in diameter to a skinny road tire.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Got the new Schwalbe Pro 1 28s setup tubeless on the new Tarmac, running 75/85 and it's absolutely divine.

Got the new Schwalbe Pro 1 28s setup tubeless on the new Tarmac, running 75/85 and it's absolutely divine.

Nice bike! You could go lower...probably. I'm 170 and would be at 70ish rear/60ish front.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nice bike! You could go lower...probably. I'm 170 and would be at 70ish rear/60ish front.
    Thanks, over the top happy with it! I don't know, I'm scared lol. Maybe I'll give it a whirl around the block to see how 80 feels.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I checked my tire pressure today.. rode 2 days ago.. 28's, 170 + bike, the rear was 42psi, I could have rode it, but pumped it up to 60, 50 in the front.
    BANNED

Thanks, over the top happy with it! I don't know, I'm scared lol. Maybe I'll give it a whirl around the block to see how 80 feels.
    It's free, why wouldn't you try it? Just keep your eyes open for craters, curbs, small sharp animals, etc.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12