Tubeless Tire Pressure
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2019

Tubeless Tire Pressure

For those with road tubeless what psi do you run?

Iím riding a new Roubaix with Roval C38 wheels and went tubeless with S-Works Turbo Pro tires 28mm. First set of road tubeless for me and looking for suggestions on psi to run. Iím approx 170 lbs. and so far been riding somewhere between 70-80.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'brifter' is a lame word.
    I refuse to use road tubeless anymore but when I did I used the exact same pressure as my clinchers because I didn't over-inflate the clinchers. I weigh the same as you and would be around 70 rear/60 front w/ 28mm tires. Depends on the width of the rim to some degree IMO. Narrower rims I'd bump up a little, wider I feel like I can run a little less pressure. Mess around with the pressure and see what you like. Go down really low so you know what they ride/handle like.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    CX, just out of curiosity, are there any technical advancements that would have you try tubeless again in the future?
    I have been happy with it, and refuse to ride tubes on my gravel bike, which I ride on some gnarly terrain.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by golfnbike13 View Post
    For those with road tubeless what psi do you run?

Iím riding a new Roubaix with Roval C38 wheels and went tubeless with S-Works Turbo Pro tires 28mm. First set of road tubeless for me and looking for suggestions on psi to run. Iím approx 170 lbs. and so far been riding somewhere between 70-80.

I weigh about 180 and have been running 60 front 65 rear on 28mm tires which measure 30mm on the rims which have 21mm internal width. I've tried 70 front 75 rear and noticed a difference in the ride but not handling so settled on the lower pressures. I think you can run lower if you want a smoother ride. Here's a link to recommended tire pressure starting points from Enve for tubeless on their rims. (see the bottom of the page) https://www.enve.com/en/products/new-ses-3-4/

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    refuse to ride tubes on my gravel bike, which I ride on some gnarly terrain.
    Why? That's the perfect place for tubeless tires. I know lots of people that ride / race gravel and nobody I know rolls tubes.
    Last edited by Srode; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:19 AM.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

changingleaf
    If the pump is accurate I think 60/70 would be better.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by changingleaf View Post
    If the pump is accurate I think 60/70 would be better.
    This is the point. I've pumped up tires to 50lbs on a pump and they were "right" and I've inflated tires on another pump to 50lbs and they were rock hard. One needs to find the ride that suits them and pump to that pressure on that pump.
    Too old to ride plastic

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    I weigh about 180 and have been running 60 front 65 rear on 28mm tires which measure 30mm on the rims which have 21mm internal width. I've tried 70 front 75 rear and noticed a difference in the ride but not handling so settled on the lower pressures. I think you can run lower if you want a smoother ride. Here's a link to recommended tire pressure starting points from Enve for tubeless on their rims. (see the bottom of the page) https://www.enve.com/en/products/new-ses-3-4/

Why? That's the perfect place for tubeless tires. I know lots of people that ride / race gravel and nobody I know rolls tubes.
    I think you misconstrued...I refuse to ride tubes on the gravel, not the other way around. I ride tubeless on all of my bikes, even the commuter.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have 25mm in my road bike, and run around 60f 70r, I weigh 175 lb.
    "The American people elected Donald Trump as the President of the United States, and not Hillary. I don't think the left is taking this loss as well as they could have"...

RoadBikeReview Member
    I think you misconstrued...I refuse to ride tubes on the gravel, not the other way around. I ride tubeless on all of my bikes, even the commuter.
    yep, I missread it, not enough coffee this morning before I started reading I think!
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

CX, just out of curiosity, are there any technical advancements that would have you try tubeless again in the future?
    I have been happy with it, and refuse to ride tubes on my gravel bike, which I ride on some gnarly terrain.
    Probably not. The thing that really pissed me off was getting a big cut in a tire. Tight tires, sealant, booting the tire...a big mess. If I'd cut a clincher it would have been easier to take the tire off/remount it and I wouldn't have had to deal w/ sealant getting all over everything on the side of the road. I'd also given up some ride quality going tubeless as the tires are by necessity thicker to hold air. There are some tubeless tires available now that have a pretty good ride but I'm sure they give up some durability. There is no change to lower pressure when using tubeless for me as I never over-inflated clinchers to 'avoid pinch flats'. I don't do any riding on really rough terrain w/ my cx/gravel bike so pinch flats are unlikely. If I'm going to do a mtb ride I'm going to do it on a real mtb.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2019
    Is getting a little sealant peeling off between the tire and rim any issue?
    Iím assuming thatís what this gum like stuff is.

Tires are holding air fine.

Nope.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Probably not. The thing that really pissed me off was getting a big cut in a tire. Tight tires, sealant, booting the tire...a big mess. If I'd cut a clincher it would have been easier to take the tire off/remount it and I wouldn't have had to deal w/ sealant getting all over everything on the side of the road. I'd also given up some ride quality going tubeless as the tires are by necessity thicker to hold air. There are some tubeless tires available now that have a pretty good ride but I'm sure they give up some durability. There is no change to lower pressure when using tubeless for me as I never over-inflated clinchers to 'avoid pinch flats'. I don't do any riding on really rough terrain w/ my cx/gravel bike so pinch flats are unlikely. If I'm going to do a mtb ride I'm going to do it on a real mtb.
    Have to agree with this. I have less flats but when I had one it really was difficult getting tire off of rim. Bead was on there. Almost gave up.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm living on the edge... have tubeless tires that I KNOW I won't be able to get off the rim out on the road. It'll be an Uber/wife/kid rescue call.
    Over the weekend, a friend and I worked on a tire for 20 min. in the garage trying to unseat a tubeless tire. The beads were so perfectly seated in perfectly matched grooves, it took a butter knife, two metal-core tire levers and four hands to get that tire lose. We were taking that tire off because of a sidewall cut.

I'm with ya cxwrench... the risk and hassle is outweighing the fewer flats.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2013
    What works good if you are home is a vice. Squeeze tire in a vice right at rim. Crank down tight and twist rim. Pops right off. Did this the other night with a tire that would not come off. Had plastic jaw covers and made sure I didn't touch rim. Plus side is if you get a flat probably have a better chance off tire not coming off and screwing up expensive rim.

RoadBikeReview Member
    sasquatch16 I will definitely give that a shot next time. Thanks for the tip!

It does seem the tire engineers are 100% laser focused on 1/2 of the tire use/process. The fact that we're using bead jacks (great tool fromm Kool Stop), butter knives and bench vices to mount and remove tires is a pretty sh|itty sign.

changingleaf
    What rim and tire combination are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post
    I'm living on the edge... have tubeless tires that I KNOW I won't be able to get off the rim out on the road. It'll be an Uber/wife/kid rescue call.
    Over the weekend, a friend and I worked on a tire for 20 min. in the garage trying to unseat a tubeless tire. The beads were so perfectly seated in perfectly matched grooves, it took a butter knife, two metal-core tire levers and four hands to get that tire lose. We were taking that tire off because of a sidewall cut.

I'm with ya cxwrench... the risk and hassle is outweighing the fewer flats.
    I had to use this knife, which I keep sharp enough to shave with, to get a couple Schwalbe tubeless tires off some Zipp rims that belong to a certain retired major leaguer who hit a great many HR's for the Giants. While he watched. Talk about pressure! Good thing the knife was so sharp. No way in hell I could've removed those tires on the road...no chance.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by changingleaf View Post
    What rim and tire combination are you using?
    Schwalbe Pro One on a Giant SLR1 wheel

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    I had to use this knife, which I keep sharp enough to shave with, to get a couple Schwalbe tubeless tires off some Zipp rims that belong to a certain retired major leaguer who hit a great many HR's for the Giants. While he watched. Talk about pressure! Good thing the knife was so sharp. No way in hell I could've removed those tires on the road...no chance.

Nice knife and Rifle

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch16 View Post
    Nice knife and Rifle
    Thanks! Those knives are an exceptional value.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch16 View Post
    Have to agree with this. I have less flats but when I had one it really was difficult getting tire off of rim. Bead was on there. Almost gave up.
    This has never happened to me, but what is the cause, I wonder? Some people just don't have the grip strength, but do some sealants glue the tire to the rim? I've only used Orange Seal and have never had this problem.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I've been running Schwalbe Pro Ones for a few years now. Never had a flat yet. I had one sidewall slice from hitting a rock. Booted the tire, put in a tube, and finished my ride.
    I've gotten Pro One's off several rims easily by hand or with one tire lever.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    i'm with CX, tubeless for road makes little sense, doesn't have the same benefits as on mtb.

One time I got a sidewall cut and it was a messy experience fixing on the road.

Second time was a puncture-seal that got popped open once the tire had worn down a bit more after some mileage, and the puncture would never seal again after putting in new sealant. Ended up putting in a tube for use (which now makes the tire a non-tubeless tire, so it's a bad investment since the tire had was not even half worn yet).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post
    I'm in the same boat, I have one wheel that I taped tubeless and I don't have any concerns removing that tire on the road, but my other wheel has a bontrager tubeless rim strip that is so tight there is no way I'll get that off. I'm guessing when it's time to remove/replace that tire, I'll be cutting it off.
    "The American people elected Donald Trump as the President of the United States, and not Hillary. I don't think the left is taking this loss as well as they could have"...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast