Tubeless tire pressure drops to nearly zero when I connect the pump
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2015

Tubeless tire pressure drops to nearly zero when I connect the pump

I just got my first set of tubeless wheels/tires for any of my road bikes. I have a lot of experience with MTB/CX/gravel tubeless but never road.

Anyway, if I connect my pump to the valve, air starts hissing out of the valve stem/rim interface area until the tire is basically flat. In previous experience, this means that there is a flaw in the tape job but this time I used Roval rim strips so there's less chance for an imperfect seal like with tape. If I pump the tire back up, it holds air for days at a time but I'm wondering why it basically goes flat just by connecting the pump.

All of the equipment that I think matters--Light Bicycle AR56 rims, Roval rim strips, Orange Seal valve stems

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Do you have the nut installed and tight? My guess is when you put the pump head on, you're pushing the valve stem up and letting air escape. Once it's inflated, there's enough pressure to keep it seated and sealed.

Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    What TLG said.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

"The Spirit of the Party "serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2015
    I put it on as tight as I have in the past for other setups but I'll try tighter. The Orange Seal valve stems came with o-rings to put under the nut (not something I've seen before) so maybe that's causing friction that makes it feel more torqued than they really are.

edit: that worked. I had to go tighter than I usually would but sure enough that fixed it.
    Last edited by thisisthebeave; 3 Weeks Ago at 12:37 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    The pump is leaking the air, not the tire or valve. I have a pump, it just leaks, you have to pump fast and remove the connector fast.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    The pump is leaking the air, not the tire or valve. I have a pump, it just leaks, you have to pump fast and remove the connector fast.

It ended up being the valve nut. I had it tight but when I cranked it as hard as I could with my fingers instead of the usual "snug", the issue stopped.

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    Once again you claim to know what the problem is with big time confidence...once again you're wrong. If wouldn't give you **** if you just said "Good chance it could be the pump, it's happened to me" but you always claim to know exactly what the problem is because you can only see your own experiences. "My pump leaks air, therefore eveyone else's must too so that's the problem". If I were that narrow minded I'd never get anything fixed, nor would I ever learn anything.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Well, he did say he was really experienced, I guess he wasn't either, ... your right it's all my fault.
    BANNED