Tubeless tire recommendation?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009

Tubeless tire recommendation?

Greetings -

I'm considering going tubeless on a set of HED Ardennes +LT wheels (rim brakes) on my 2015 Ridley Fenix. Doing mostly 40 mile rides on smooth blacktop in the Arizona desert. Running Continental Gatorskins (25mm) now. Looking for 25-26mm tires ... frame clearance doesn't really suit 28mm. Former amateur road racer, well back in the previous century, looking for a decent, lively ride. High puncture resistance is important here ... lots of little prickly things growing near the roads. Oh, and I'm a tightwad ... not looking for a $$$$ tire.

Any recommendations, thoughts, suggestions, cautions?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by hidesert47; 04-19-2020 at 04:52 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2020
    Well, since road tubeless is relatively new it's going to be hard to reconcile that with "tightwad". But sometimes you can find them on sale somewhere (merlincycles has good prices and a pretty good selection) which might get them below $$$$ territory. Alternatively add sealant to your inner tube.

Also, about puncture resistance. That's no better in tubeless, but puncture resilience is (I picked up something like 40 goathead sticker things once, didn't even notice until I came to a stop -- and pulled a bunch out without rotating the wheel. On the plus side I'm not going to do that again.) They're great against sharp things that puncture, long things that slice still benefit from stronger carcasses. If punctures are the problem then all but the superlight tubeless should be fine, if you need the stronger carcass, only Pirelli's Cinturato comes to mind, and as that's a new tire, see point 1.

Also, what's max pressure for tubeless on the Ardennes? Might (or might not) be an issue. Personally, I'm not convinced by high-pressure tubeless on road, but I'm willing to keep an open mind.

Hmm, not a lot in the way of suggestions, sorry!

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    I have a brand new Schwalbe Pro 1 in a 25mm for $35.00 shipped, if you are interested. Great tire.

changingleaf
    Apparently you missed the other threads on this exact subject and I'll post the same reply here.
    I recommend this tire:
    IRC Formula Pro Tire - 700 x 25, Tubeless, Folding, Black, X-Guard
    25 measures closer to 24 wide.

It's been very flat resistant and rolls good enough. It will easily outlast a Schwlabe pro one or Continental GP5000 TL. Note, a piece of metal in the road will still cut the tire.

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    I was gonna go tubeless but changed my mind this past weekend. I was looking at Vittoria Corsa g2.0 tires.

Why not stick with your Gatorskins?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by il sogno View Post
    I suspect I might just do that ...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    well dude if you're gonna go tubeless, and you want better protection than the Gatorskin, then, you need to go with a the sort of tubeless tires that are "thick and heavy", and not waste time with the lighter and racier light tubeless tires (like Schable Pro One, Conti 5000). Thick and heavy tubeless tires will give you great protection against goatheads and they will last you a long time (which is great for the "tightwad" factor). And thick and heavy tubeless tires also tend to be cheaper than the lighter ones.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by changingleaf View Post
    Apparently you missed the other threads on this exact subject and I'll post the same reply here.
    I recommend this tire:
    IRC Formula Pro Tire - 700 x 25, Tubeless, Folding, Black, X-Guard
    25 measures closer to 24 wide.

It's been very flat resistant and rolls good enough. It will easily outlast a Schwlabe pro one or Continental GP5000 TL. Note, a piece of metal in the road will still cut the tire.
    I hear that the Conti tubeless tires are a ***** to mount.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    well dude if you're gonna go tubeless, and you want better protection than the Gatorskin, then, you need to go with a the sort of tubeless tires that are "thick and heavy", and not waste time with the lighter and racier light tubeless tires (like Schable Pro One, Conti 5000). Thick and heavy tubeless tires will give you great protection against goatheads and they will last you a long time (which is great for the "tightwad" factor). And thick and heavy tubeless tires also tend to be cheaper than the lighter ones.
    Sealant takes care of goatheads without the need for heavy, thick, treaded tires.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by il sogno View Post
    My wife wanted gatorskin protection in a tubeless, so I went for the Hutchison Sector 28. But if you want something that rolls faster, try the Conti 4000 4-Season. I use them on my commuter/cross bike.

As for mounting the 5000s, just did that yesterday on Ican Aero 40s. Not easy, but not the horror story I've hard many times. So far, I'm a cautious convert if only because they roll so much smoother at lower pressure and I ride a lot of chip seal.
    Bradley

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mfdemicco View Post
    Sealant takes care of goatheads without the need for heavy, thick, treaded tires.
    OP also wanna go tightwad. Pro Ones don't last long, they ain't for tightwad

changingleaf
    I've had the Sector 28 and in my experience it is not at all flat resistant at least for spring riding when the roads are dirty in the northeast us. Keep the pressure low and sealant topped off.

I replaced mine with the IRC Formula Pro X-guard Tubeless and it is much better for preventing flats.