Which tubeless tires - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    It doesn't really help you decide, but Hunt Wheels (who make a really great but affordable carbon wheel) in the UK have a website that has a pretty nice list of tubeless tire options.

https://www.huntbikewheels.cc/collections/tyres

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    I just had a very pleasant experience setting up a tubeless road tire on a Hunt rim, and thought I'd share the experience. Especially considering my last tubeless road experience was the polar opposite (Schwable Pro One on Enve AR4.5 - absolute nightmare).

Just a little background. The bike these wheels are on is an all around every day ride. It's mostly roads and rail trails (paved and unpaved), with a very rare foray into some fire roads in the nearby forest.

I have been running Schwalbe G-One Speeds (30mm) and Compass Stampede Pass (32mm) at 50 to 65psi depending on the road conditions, with tubes, but wanted to try a tubeless setup. Unfortunately, the Stampede Pass is not a tubeless tire, and the only set of G-One Speeds I own have small puncture and were showing some signs of wear. I decided to go shopping at the LBS's to see what I could find for this purpose.

I tried a couple of my favorite shops and didn't find anything close to what I was looking for. On a whim I stopped in a fairly new Trek shop in a nearby neighborhood and asked what they had for Tubeless road tires. They pointed me at a new Bontrager tire called the R3. It's a Tubeless Ready tire, and came in 32mm. The guys at the shop told me they were a breeze to set up, and the tread profile looked ideal for my purpose, so I snagged a pair and headed home. On the way home, I realized I needed some fresh sealant and made a pitstop at REI and found some sealant made by Muc-Off. It was new to me. I read a couple of favorable reviews online and decided to go for it.

Here is a product announcement for the tires showing some useful info (weights and tread pattern)
    https://bikerumor.com/2019/04/03/bon...-aero-saddles/

The reason for my interest in this tubeless project, was that I had just received a brand spanking new Hunt Carbon 30 "Aero" wheelset and wanted to try them tubeless.

The installation went super easy. I had no trouble mounting the tires by hand. And with the tire beads in the bead channel (and on the appropriate side of the provided valve stem), the tires seated with a few quick pumps with my trusty floor pump. I inflated them up to about 80psi (slightly over inflated) to make sure they were seated, then deflated them, removed the valve core, and squeezed in a few oz of sealant into each tire. Super simple. I honestly think this was as fast or faster than installing tubes. It sure felt that way.

I really hope this Muc Off sealant works out well. It comes in a pouch with a platic tube on the end that slides over your valve stem (with the core out). You just squeeze it and watch the visible guage on the side of the pouch to know how much you've installed.

Here is a quick review of the Muc Off sealant showing the install process.
    https://themtblab.com/2018/12/muc-of...nt-review.html

I have two 40 mile rides on them so far. I settled on about 48psi in the rear and 43psi in the front (based on my floor pump gauge). This is just enough to be comfortable but not feel like I need to baby it over bumps to prevent rim strikes.

The tire and wheel mate up perfectly. The tire shape is exactly how I like it (fairly rounded over but not light bulb shaped). As far as ride quality, I would say they are very similar in grip and handling to the G-One speeds and the Extralight Stampede Pass with tubes. Considering this tire has a (presumably) much more durable casing, I consider that a win.

My general impression is that the tread on these will be much longer wearing than the Compass (Rene Herse) offering, and that they will be a little more puncture resistant than the G-One Speeds were.

Time will tell. I'll report back on this setup once I have some time/miles on them.

Here is a picture of the tires mounted on the wheel. Looks pretty good to my eye.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Finx; 07-22-2019 at 10:11 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks for that! What bike do you have this setup on? I wish my domane would take 32mm.
    "The American people elected Donald Trump as the President of the United States, and not Hillary. I don't think the left is taking this loss as well as they could have"...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by davesupra View Post
    Thanks for that! What bike do you have this setup on? I wish my domane would take 32mm.
    Those wheels are currently mounted on my Moots Routt RSL, but I can also move them over to my Canyon Endurace or Norco Search XR (although I don't know why I would )

Edit to add a picture:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Finx; 07-23-2019 at 07:43 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by davesupra View Post
    I wish my domane would take 32mm.
    Sounds like it might be time for 'new bike day'?

Not counting my Track Bike, I only own one bike that won't take at least 32mm tires. My old rim brake BMC Gran Fondo GF-01. I love that bike, but I never ride it any more.

My list of bikes and the max tire clearance.

• Pinarello Pista Track Bike (2010): 25mm
    • BMC Gran Fondo GF-01 (2014): 28mm (rim brakes)
    • Norco Search XR (2015): 700cx45mm or 650bx52mm
    • Canyon Endurace (2018): 32mm
    • Moots Routt RSL (2019): 42mm

I can't see myself ever buying another bike that won't take 32mm tires. I just don't see the point.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finx View Post
    Those wheels are currently mounted on my Moots Routt RSL, but I can also move them over to my Canyon Endurace or Norco Search XR (although I don't know why I would )
    Sweet ride! I like the top tube bag, I had never seen that brand before so I checked them out. How do you like it?

I'd like to do a "new bike day" but I can't justify it right now. I do have a Salsa Fargo that I keep 45mm tires on for riding gravel/min maint roads... the old Domane with skinny tires will have to do for a while for road riding.
    "The American people elected Donald Trump as the President of the United States, and not Hillary. I don't think the left is taking this loss as well as they could have"...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    The top tube bag is great.

That size holds a couple of bars/gels and my keys, or alternatively a spare pair of nighttime glasses.

The zipper can rattle sometimes, but it's easy to fix with a little shrink wrap or some rubber or vinyl tubing.

I had some problems with that Silca frame pump so I returned it. I have a Silca Tattico pump behind the water bottle on the NDS now.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finx View Post
    I just had a very pleasant experience setting up a tubeless road tire on a Hunt rim, and thought I'd share the experience. Especially considering my last tubeless road experience was the polar opposite (Schwable Pro One on Enve AR4.5 - absolute nightmare).

Time will tell. I'll report back on this setup once I have some time/miles on them.

Here is a picture of the tires mounted on the wheel. Looks pretty good to my eye.

on a side note, did your Hunt Wheels come in at their claimed weight? I am considering them for a bike I'm putting together. Weight and price is pretty attractive. I would be interested in your thoughts on the wheels once you get some miles on them too.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    on a side note, did your Hunt Wheels come in at their claimed weight? I am considering them for a bike I'm putting together. Weight and price is pretty attractive. I would be interested in your thoughts on the wheels once you get some miles on them too.
    Iím not Finx, but I recently bought a set of Alu Hunt Wheels, and they came in just slightly UNDER weight. I also had the EASIEST time setting them up tubeless Ė with Panaracer 32s. Iíve got about 500 miles on them so I recently put them on the truing stand and they were basically perfect (and very impressively true vertically, since they use Kinlin rims which I have personally found are hart to true without a bit of hop).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    I did not weigh them. I'm not a weight weenie. That said, every single person I've handed the front wheel to has said "WOW, It's so light!'.

For me the cost ($1049 +$100 or so import duty) was primary as I own plenty of wheels and it was hard to justify another pair. These wheels cost $250 less than the last set of alloy wheels I bought (HED Belgium Plus ok Chris King hubs) and are definitely a lot lighter than those. Of course I have no idea what the durability or serviceability of the hub is. All of that remains to be seen.

The profile (width and depth) and the fact that it has a fairly standard bead hook design were also key, as I wanted to try them tubeless with a variety of wider tires (32mm and up) and had read a lot of positive reviews.

They have a really nice feel to them and the quality of the visuals is higher than my $3000 Enve's.

They came with a couple of spare spokes, a spoke wrench, and appropriate length valve stems and cores.

So far I'm very impressed.

If anything changes I'll report back

Edit to add: They are in high demand and/or suffer from low supply. They were out of stock and backordered with a July ship date when I ordered mine back in April. I got mine slightly earlier than promised.

They were delivered to my home a via UPS with a $110 import duty COD. UPS only takes cashier's checks, personal checks, or money orders, so be prepared.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12