Tubeless tires are driving me crazy!!!
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012

I am relatively new to tubeless tires and liking them a lot. I purchased some Mavic Kysium Pro Carbon UST wheels with 28mm Yksion tires which are starting to wear out. I like the Yksion tires, but I wanted to explore the use of different tires.

I had read that certain tires are more difficult to mount than others. Considering that UST was supposed to be a standard, I though most tires would fit this rim well.

My two choices would be Schwalbe Pro 1 TLE and Continental 5000 TL. I really wanted the Continental becuase of decreased rolling resistance. I contacted both companies. Schwalbe responded first stating that their tires follow UST protocols and would fit fine and mount easily, Continental responded via a telephone call. Very impressive! Unfortunately, they told me it is designed for wheels of this design, but will not likely fit without significant difficulty, if at all.

How is it that two companies can make a tire that fit so differently? I am baffled. There must be standards that need to be adhered to. Looking for more understanding.

Thanks
    Steve
    Lynskey R300 disc SRAM 1x
    Lynskey titaniium seatpost
    Speedplay ultralight action pedals
    SMP Drakon saddle
    Redshift shock absorption stem
    Mavic Pro Carbon wheels
    Man I love this bike....

Look 566 Rival (Still here but on my trainer)
    Look 765 up for sale (still a great bike!)

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    You have just discovered the difference between 'theoretically' and 'realistically'.
    #promechaniclife

Adorable Furry Hombre
    The GP5Ks are renowned for being bastards to get on, on basically all rims

RoadBikeReview Member
    You maybe coulda walked there.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    You might want to check the "Tubeless Tire Experiences" thread on the Weight Weenies forum. The OP of that thread says Hutchinson Fusion tires work well with Mavic UST rims. I guess that makes sense, since Hutchinson makes Mavic's tires. I've got UST rims as well but have only used the Yksilon tires on them and am pretty satisfied with them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    I could be wrong, but some rim manufacturers use proprietary tubeless rim technology. Compatible tire manufacturers may have TO PAY to use the technology to make compatible tires. In some cases, it's a collaboration, in an effort to promote both brands. And some tire/rim manufacturers will just try to make a product that is compatible with all brands.

That's likely the reason your Mavic rim/Mavic tire combination worked so well for you.

Consider that when trying to find compatible tires.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Lieutenant View Post

How is it that two companies can make a tire that fit so differently? I am baffled. There must be standards that need to be adhered to. Looking for more understanding.
    There are numerous standards. Which is the problem.

Continental GP5000's are made to the new ISO ETRTO standard. Which hopefully will be the dominant standard going forward.

Coincidentally, here's an article about Conti 5000 TL on Mavic Kysirium Elite UST wheels
    https://intheknowcycling.com/fitting...ss-road-tires/

FWIW, I use GP5000's and they're great. I can easily get them on several wheels with a single tire lever when new. And on/off by hand once they're stretchered a bit. (but I don't have any UST wheels)
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    You have just discovered the difference between 'theoretically' and 'realistically'.
    Bingo!

Just one more reason I'm not sold on tubeless.
    "If someone needs 200 rolls of toilet paper for a 14-day quarantine, they probably should have made a doctor's appointment way before the COVID-19 outbreak." -- Unknown

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

Russian Troll Farmer
    You obviously have never heard the 1st rule of bike tires: Continental tires ALWAYS fit tight. Doesn't matter on the type. Road clinchers, mountain bike, even tubulars; Contis are always a b!tch to mount.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    and what's wrong with just sticking with Yksion tires?? They are good tires. One of the major benefits of Mavic UST wheels is that they work GREAT with Mavic UST tires, so why you want to stray away from this benfit?

On a sidenote (not meant to direct toward the OP specifically), all this obsession with rolling resistance is getting to the ridiculous level in the ranks of weekend warriors. Let's say you're rolling at 20 mph, the effort it takes to overcome wind resistance caused by your body/bike trumps the 1-2 watts rolling resistance difference between tire brands. Simply just tighten up your helmet-strap alone saves you 3-5 watts at 20 mph

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    and what's wrong with just sticking with Yksion tires?? They are good tires. One of the major benefits of Mavic UST wheels is that they work GREAT with Mavic UST tires, so why you want to stray away from this benfit?

On a sidenote (not meant to direct toward the OP specifically), all this obsession with rolling resistance is getting to the ridiculous level in the ranks of weekend warriors. Let's say you're rolling at 20 mph, the effort it takes to overcome wind resistance caused by your body/bike trumps the 1-2 watts rolling resistance difference between tire brands. Simply just tighten up your helmet-strap alone saves you 3-5 watts at 20 mph
    Even worse is the obsession with fictional differences between chain lubes.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Let's say you're rolling at 20 mph, the effort it takes to overcome wind resistance caused by your body/bike trumps the 1-2 watts rolling resistance difference between tire brands. Simply just tighten up your helmet-strap alone saves you 3-5 watts at 20 mph
    And neither of these makes much difference in the real world of cycling outside of a tight race.
    "If someone needs 200 rolls of toilet paper for a 14-day quarantine, they probably should have made a doctor's appointment way before the COVID-19 outbreak." -- Unknown

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by mfdemicco View Post
    even worse is the obsession with fictional differences between chain lubes.
    Spike......5....4.....3....2.....1

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    I have no problem with the Yksion tires except the price. The Continental, Schwalbe, Mavic are expensive, but the Continental and Schwalbe go on sale periodically. I have never found the Mavic UST on sale.
    Steve
    SMP Drakon saddle
    Mavic Pro Carbon wheels
    Man I love this bike....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002

Quote Originally Posted by 1Lieutenant View Post
    I have no problem with the Yksion tires except the price. The Continental, Schwalbe, Mavic are expensive, but the Continental and Schwalbe go on sale periodically. I have never found the Mavic UST on sale.
    I like the Rubio Pro's. I may try the tubeless version next.
    Last edited by mfdemicco; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:47 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Bit late but in case OP is still looking around - I've tried virtually all brands of tubeless road, gravel, etc. For road, I find that Hutchinson Fusion (the new versions with 11storm) are the best combination of ease of fit, performance, weight, and longevity (the performance model for that). As an added bonus, you can find them for good prices at places like sigma sport, which take about 4 days to arrive from UK. I opt for tubeless ready - the Conti tubeless is OK, though I've never quite understood tubeless over tubeless ready - they weigh more and the whole point of tubeless is to use sealant. For that, my recommendation would be orange seal.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks! Will look into it
    Steve
    SMP Drakon saddle
    Mavic Pro Carbon wheels
    Man I love this bike....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Schwalbe Pro one Addix (Their new version of pro one) is supposed to be easier to mount and remove than the previous version. I've been able to mount the previous version without levers and they come off fine with a little help from a tire lever once you get them off the ledge and into the center channel of the rim. How easy they are to install and remove is obviously going to depend on the depth of the channel on your rims. I wouldn't consider Conti 5000's TL because of the horror stories.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

"The Spirit of the Party "serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    I remember a parody song of John Mellencamp's I Need a Lover sung by kids back in my school days that goes something like "I need a rubber that won't drive me crazy..."