Tubes, Tubes, Tubes, there is a difference
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013

I have been using Forte tubes from Performance for the past year and recently bought 4 700c 80mm tubes. Out of the four, 2 leaked through the stem. Going to return them. In the meantime I picked up some Continental tubes and after 4 days of the bike sitting in the garage, they have not lost any pressure, still at 100 psi. The Forte tubes seemed to loose about 10-15 PSI per day and I always thought that was just normal.

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr645 View Post
    I have been using Forte tubes from Performance for the past year and recently bought 4 700c 80mm tubes. Out of the four, 2 leaked through the stem. Going to return them. In the meantime I picked up some Continental tubes and after 4 days of the bike sitting in the garage, they have not lost any pressure, still at 100 psi. The Forte tubes seemed to loose about 10-15 PSI per day and I always thought that was just normal.
    I dont know. I use Michelins with smooth stems. I patch them so they stay around for years. I dont inservice but maybe one a year. I just buy Michelins online in a four pack. That pack will last three years at least.

Talks too much, that is..
    May 2014
    The Forte tubes seemed to loose about 10-15 PSI per day and I always thought that was just normal.
    10-15 PSI is crazy. I've not ever experienced that. I use Conti and Michelin. Basically no difference to me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tihsepa View Post
    I dont know. I use Michelins with smooth stems. I patch them so they stay around for years. I dont inservice but maybe one a year. I just buy Michelins online in a four pack. That pack will last three years at least.
    +1 on the smooth stem Michelins. Haven't thought of any other tube since my 1st Michelin.

Probably longer for those four.
    Too old to ride plastic

grizzly moderator

If you like the Conti and Michelin you'll love the Schwalbe. Best butyl tube, IMO.
    With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important.

Talks too much, that is..
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by dcgriz View Post
    If you like the Conti and Michelin you'll love the Schwalbe. Best butyl tube, IMO.
    My bike came with Schwalbe. So did my first flat. So I'm biased against them, most likely inappropriately. So when I eventually need some new ones maybe I'll consider them, although what I wind up doing is buying whatever is cheapest of the known quantities I've mentioned.

Cycling Dolomiti Friuli
    I used to think my tubes were the problem. Then I bought a set of Michelin Pro4 Endurance: no more flats.

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Quote Originally Posted by dcgriz View Post
    If they hold air and are well made, there is no difference. Its a tube.

I am not buying and of that crap about one road tube being more resistant to punctures. If it makes it through a tire, its going through the tube sooner or later. That is unless your tubes are the thickness of a garden hose.
    I an sure Schwalbe makes just as good a tube as anyone else. I use their tires and love them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    I have been using the Michelin Pro 4 Endurance, 23mm front and 25mm back and in over 5000 miles I have never had a flat in the front, but plenty in the rear

grizzly moderator

Some of you seem to be confusing what the purpose of a good tube is.
    Let's first say it's not primary protection against puncture flats.
    It is protection against:
    - seams coming apart
    - valve/tube seal coming apart
    - air permeability through butyl casing (keeps air pressure longer)
    - tube under sizing (does not overstretch butyl)

The Schwalbe hold air longer than either Conti or Michelin and are sized for up to 28mm vs. 25mm tires. This tends not to overstretch the butyl if you use it in 28mm tires or simply if your 25mm tires become 28mm when you put air in them.

Edit to add: latex tubes may help in preventing puncture flats but the extent is not easily measurable.
    With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2014
    The Forte tubes seemed to loose about 10-15 PSI per day and I always thought that was just normal.
    I generally run the Forte Light tubes and have never experienced the psi you have. I may lose 1-3 psi a day but that is about it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    Do the Forte tubes have removable valve cores? Maybe they're just loose.

RoadBikeReview Member
    my experience with Forte tubes has been seriously negative.

bought a dozen on sale and 5 of them developed tears at the base of the stem...also noticed significant leak-down issues as well.

have had much better luck with Kenda smooth stem tubes. no tears and they hold pressure for days before needing to be topped up.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

User is infamous around
    I use Kenda 28mm tubes. Gotta add air (15-20psi) every 4-5 days. Other tubes might be better, but that's good enough for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by chudak View Post
    It's made with a mixture of titanium, unobtanium and the freshly harvested dew from the sweaty brows of 16 YO suburban virgins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    Don't forget the ground up unicorn horn. That makes it magical.

banned
    Jan 2007
    Do these have removeable valve stems ?? They may be loose and leaking. If not you should be able to find the pinhole leaks by slightly inflating the tube and holding it under water.

δanned
    I've used Kenda 18-25mm tubes with smooth stems for as long as I can remember, and they've always served me well.
    Ghurarmu shirkush’ agh azgushu. Zant ya apakurizak. Gűl-n’ anakhizak.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    I have never paid the money for conti or other premium brand tubes. I use tubes branded by performance, bontrager, specialized, whatever the rei brand is, whatever shop i worked at sold as their normal nothing special tubes in the 90's, etc. I have never noticed a difference in punctures with any of them.

I have used normal and light weight tubes. I honestly can't feel the difference - same tire, wheel etc. And I am one of the people who usually disagree with the "you'll never feel the difference" comments.

I inflate my tires before every ride. It takes all of 30 seconds and ensures they are at the pressure I want. I am not surprised with a 10 lb loss in pump's indicated pressure from one day to the next (ride at 100, normal to see next day pressure between 85 and 100). I don't know whether the tube leaks that much or the act of removing and attaching the pump causes the pressure difference. Really doesn't matter because I pump my tires up prior to every ride.

Over a long enough time period of no flats, the valve stem/tube interface may fail. The junction is subjected to stress every time you hook up and remove the chuck.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Are the Forte tubes lighter than the Conti tubes? Unless those Conti tubes are really thick I doubt the PSI will not lose any pressure for 4 days! I've tried all sorts of tubes over the eons I've been riding and none ever never lost PSI over a 4 day period, now I have a mountain bike that uses thick tubes and that one will last 4 days without loss, but not a road bike.

By the way, flats from road debris is not the fault of the tube, that is the fault of the tire, so don't be scared away from some tube due to a debris flat. I like several brands of tubes so I buy whatever is on sale, I like Conti, Mich, and Specialized, never had any issues with those (haven't tried the Schwalb yet); but the other brands I've had trouble with seams coming apart and valve stems failing. I like the Specialized tube the best only because the valve stem is half smooth and half threaded which means I can either use a pump with a slip on chuck and not worry about chewing up the gasket, or I can use thread on chuck.

banned
    Dec 2012
    The OP is just weird to me but that's the way it is. I have used exclusively Performance Forte light tubes for the last two years. Because they are very light weight. My experience is exactly the opposite. The tubes are manufactured in Taiwan, just a note to those that say ALL the tubes are made in Malaysia in other threads. I have 15 punctured tubes in my garage waiting patching. I have never had a single defective tube, ever, so that's 17 tubes total. I can't tell 1-4 psi or even 10 really and I doubt many of us can. Because unless you have a VERY accurate gauge AND check every time you ride . . . . Competitive riders, surely, but many are probably like me and just top off some air once a week without much notice. Others, yeah, they have the gauge and carefully try to go to the exact psi they want. I guess I was reacting to the Forte tubes leak and are defective and I just want to say mine don't, aren't and never have.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The biggest problems I had with cheaper tubes is the seams failing, varying thickness of the same tube which could mean you have a small section that is paper thin and will bubble if inflated outside the tire, and the valves. The better quality tubes usually don't have those issues. My biggest headache with cheaper tubes is the poorer quality valves, yeah I know they all seem to look the same but for some reason the cheaper ones the valves can't take more than a couple dozen times of pumping and they fail, the worst valves I ever used were from Slime, those took maybe 6 times at pumping before they would fail, but the major brand of tubes like Conti, Mich, and Specialized I've never had a valve fail with those.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Does Continental still make the orange lightweight tubes?

They were great but I can't find them anywhere.

Burnum Upus Quadricepus
    How are you measuring? With a separate handheld gauge? Or with the built-in gauge on your pump?

If the latter, remember that enough air has to exit the tire and fill the hose in order to provide a reading. This can account for a 10-15 psi "drop" only seconds after topping-off the tire.

banned
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by froze View Post
    Are the Forte tubes lighter than the Conti tubes?
    72g on kMart scale.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    I am new but I only pump my tires every few weeks. I am on a spec Sport Disk with 30cc tires. I wonder if there is a larger tube than on a 23 or 25 so there is less pressure on the stem? I only inflate to 85 or so. Or is 85 PSI that same regardless of the outer tire? I'd think that it is possible (probable??) the tire itself is the limiter setting the PSI more than the tube itself.

Or maybe I can't see a difference in the deflection of the tire at 85 and 65 and just think I have not lost any psi but really have lost quite a bit? The pressure gauge on my pump is wonky. It seems to have sh*t the bed the 2nd time I used it.

cmn

JFR
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by froze View Post
    The biggest problems I had with cheaper tubes is the seams failing, varying thickness of the same tube which could mean you have a small section that is paper thin and will bubble if inflated outside the tire, and the valves. The better quality tubes usually don't have those issues. My biggest headache with cheaper tubes is the poorer quality valves, yeah I know they all seem to look the same but for some reason the cheaper ones the valves can't take more than a couple dozen times of pumping and they fail, the worst valves I ever used were from Slime, those took maybe 6 times at pumping before they would fail, but the major brand of tubes like Conti, Mich, and Specialized I've never had a valve fail with those.
    What's this about valves failing, what do you mean?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast