Tubolito?

Thread: Tubolito?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005

Tubolito?

Has anyone tried the Tubolito road tubes? Supposedly lighter, better road feel, and better durability than butyl. Feels like latex or tubeless, but retains air like butyl. Easier to install than butyl. They cost $30-40 each though.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    I’m waiting for the Chinese knockoffs.

Russian Troll Farmer
    $30-40 each??? HOLY ****!
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by TiCoyote View Post
    They cost $30-40 each though.
    Is it still true that a fool and his money are soon parted?

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    If a tube sets me back 30-40 bucks, it should also be able to make coffee for me every morning, while completely eliminating any chance of a flat, ever, and additionally be the lightest tube ever made.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Never heard of them.
    Panaracer R'Air makes the same claims for a lot less.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Not defending tubolito, but I think the size and The weight are the big difference.
    Still ridiculous.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I’ve ridden with them.

I was riding them with Vitoria Corsa’s.

Advantages.

Weight - I didn’t notice the weight difference on the wheels. I don’t use a saddlebag, preferring to keep spare tubes and canisters in my back pockets. The lack of weight there was significant and welcome.

Size. - very compact so easy to get in the continental pack I use in the pockets. It would be a breeze for a saddlebag.

Size - when used and replaced at home they are very easy to deflate and repack in their original size. Unlike normal tubes which never want to go back to the size and neatness they come out of packet.

Downsides

Puncture so easily - I went from one puncture a quarter to 4 in a fortnight. Swapped back to normal tubes with the same tyres and have only had one in subsequent month.

Patching - you can’t blow them up outside of the tyre to any great pressure. So finding the punctures and mending them became a fruitless venture.

Overall

Cannot recommend them for normal clincher use. Way, way, way too expensive for something that punctures that easily.

However, I still have one in my back pocket. If you don’t use saddlebags or use tubeless tyres where you treat them as a ‘get me home’ device only then the lack of bulk and weight is great. They can be reused repeatedly whilst not becoming messy and bulbous.

Think of them as a space saving wheel on a car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by izza View Post
    Weight - I don’t use a saddlebag, preferring to keep spare tubes and canisters in my back pockets. The lack of weight there was significant and welcome.
    meh, I carry three CO2 carts, two butyl tubes, plus other stuff in jersey pockets...never know it's there.

the price and other cons you mention make this product a joke.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    If a tube sets me back 30-40 bucks, it should also be able to make coffee for me every morning, while completely eliminating any chance of a flat, ever, and additionally be the lightest tube ever made.
    ^^^This.^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    Is it still true that a fool and his money are soon parted?
    ^^^And this.^^^

"With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by izza View Post
    Size - when used and replaced at home they are very easy to deflate and repack in their original size. Unlike normal tubes which never want to go back to the size and neatness they come out of packet.
    Really? My tubes roll up just like they were when I took them out of the box. I think you must be doing something wrong. Look carefully at how the tube was rolled as it comes out of the box and you should be able to easily see how to reproduce that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2019
    I loved the concept and even held my nose and paid the high price, but I had really bad luck with defects on two out of three tubes purchased. I wrote a blog about it with pics: https://www.ianslack.com/cycling/tub...a-bad-product/

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by scoop66 View Post
    I loved the concept and even held my nose and paid the high price, but I had really bad luck with defects on two out of three tubes purchased. I wrote a blog about it with pics: https://www.ianslack.com/cycling/tub...a-bad-product/
    So, not only are they ridiculously expensive, but they are poorly made as well? Oh, man, they'll sell like hotcakes......
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    So, not only are they ridiculously expensive, but they are poorly made as well? Oh, man, they'll sell like hotcakes......
    The bad news:

Although the new miracle material they're made of is supposedly more puncture resistant than stupid rubber tubes... all reviewers have problems with flats.

Related: you have to buy a special $15 new miracle material patch kit to patch them.

Now for the good news:

They fold up slightly smaller than say, a Conti Race 28 tube which is what I've been running and carrying for decades... and the tubolitos weigh a few grams less, so you can carry more spare tubes!

Related: you'll probably need to carry more tubes since the tubolitos appear to have a chronic problem with unrepairable leakage where the stem is attached to the new miracle tube.

[REDACTED]
    But they are yellow, so naturally they are faster. Now think how fast they would be if they were red. They would be so fast, you wouldn't even notice when they're flat.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    But they are yellow, so naturally they are faster. Now think how fast they would be if they were red. They would be so fast, you wouldn't even notice when they're flat.
    Orange. Best of both worlds.

I hope their product development team is reading this thread.