Tubular glue Q

Thread: Tubular glue Q

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005

Tubular glue Q

Hoping someone can explain the difference between hardware store contact glue & tubular rim glue bought at bike shops? Visually they seem almost identical. Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Back in the day we used the 3M Fastack to glue tubulars however there is some indication that the solvents used in non tubular specific glues can cause the base tape to separate from the casing. I was indeed having issues like this at one point but thought it was just some crappy tires. Now I only use the Vittoria mastik. It's available at good shops these days as the cyclocross guys like tubulars as well.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    buy the vittoria mastik and you're good. don't use anything that isn't specifically made for gluing tires to rims...your well being depends on it.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    buy the vittoria mastik and you're good. Don't use anything that isn't specifically made for gluing tires to rims...your well being depends on it.
    +1!!!!

Devoid of all flim-flam
    Tubular glue isn't that expensive. You might as well buy the real McCoy.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    +1 on using "tubular cement." If you used "contact glue" and applied it properly, you would never get the tire off the rim without having to cut it off......that is the "glue" used to apply laminate materials to counters, etc. If done properly, it will not come loose once the two surfaces to which the glue is applied touch each other and you only get one chance to get it into position. You don't want either of those things to happen with a tubular tire and rim.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    thanks guys. After visually comparing both I was just wondering if tubular glue was just rebranded contact glue. Apparently not. cheers.

RoadBikeReview Member

goop

I've used tubasti, clement, vittoria, the old track shellac, and 3M Fast Tack to glue tubulars.
    What a pain in the ass..The only glue I use now is GOOP.

Perfect glue job every time. Put it on a little thick, let it sit for about 5 min until the petroleum distillate vapors dissipate. Mount the tire. You'll have lots of time to get it perfectly straight, unlike every other glue. Don't try to clean the excess. Wait 24 hr and the excess will peel off clean. When it comes time to pull the tire you'll understand why this is the best tubular glue. Removal will be difficult, but the glue will stick to the tire and peel away clean from the rim.