Tubular Tires - New to Tubies - What tires?
    bike rider
    Aug 2007

Tubular Tires - New to Tubies - What tires?

Hi folks,
    Just got a good deal on a pair of Easton EA70X tubular wheels. I'm looking for some recommendations on tubular tires....I've been using Conti GP4000 clinchers and I like them for the following reasons - they wear well, I get very few flats (he types while knocking on wood), and I can run them at a variety of pressures depending on what I'm looking for out of them (they are pressure tunable)...and generally I like the ride.

I, however, have been put under the spell of the magic road feel of tubulars - even though I've never ridden on them. That said - I have no clue about what to put on the new wheels.

I'm looking for similar attributes as those listed above, specifically flat resistance and I'm looking to use them for training and some road racing, which I'm planning on starting next season (long time XC racer, have been doing cross races this fall...road next year). These will also be the tubular / tire test platform to see if i proceed to some carbon tubular race wheels....or go to a clincher race wheel.

So, with that said, how about some reccomendations...and of course, I'd like to find a good deal.

Thanks folks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007

a suggestion

In the search box, type in tubulars or tubular tires. You will get some new answers here but lot of what you are looking for has already been asked, and answered. You will find a ton of replys there.

bike rider
    Aug 2007
    Gracias.

p != b
    Get some Challenge Grifo tires and use those wheels for cross.
    I love the sound of cowbell in the morning.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    +1 to using those wheels for cross.

If you're set on road usage, tho, Conti does make a GP4000 tubular:

bike rider
    Aug 2007
    I plan on using them for cross next season...they wont arrive in time for the remainder of the races I'm planning on doing...

So for cross...is the Grifo THE all around tubie to get that isn't over $100? I'll visit the cross forum...much on this topic...