Tufo s22 t opinions
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006

Tufo s22 t opinions

I am getting some tubular wheels and came across this tire. I've heard from a couple places that they are a moderate performer but very durable.

So the question is are they an inexpensive all arounder or are they heavy/slow/cheap?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    I have used them. I would not call them heavy at 260g and they are fairly durable but they have the same slow feel that all Tufos have.

monkey with flamethrower
    Tufo's are tough as nails. But they feel like you are riding on a garden hose, not a nice tubular tire.
    The french website rouesartisanales.com did an excellent rolling resistance test of major tires and Tufo tires sapped 10-15 watts more in the test then similar tires. So as Ligero said they are slow.
    I've always thought the rubber felt very slippery and not very grippy.
    In short I think their tires suck.
    Chances are, I posted this drunk.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2008
    I've been riding on tufos for about 4 years now, and currently ride on the lite C33 and Hi Composite Carbon on two different bikes. My first Tufo came on a used wheelset. Wanted the wheelset, didn't know anthing about Tufos, but fell in love with them from day one. I still ride $50 conti, spec, hutch, bonti, victoria tires on my other bikes, and the tufos put them all to shame. I would even argue that Tufos are not slow at all IF inflated at the correct pressure.

As others mentioned, they have a rubbery feel, but that is a good thing as the tires allow you to feel the road when inflated bewteen 80-100 psi. The real bonus is inflated 120-160psi and the tires become real performers with low rolling resistance.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2019
    Never judge a Tufo tyre before the 3 or 5 first rides....(Tufo tyres tubular or clincher). My advice after 15 years using almost all product family.

changingleaf
    Tufo tape increases rolling resistance vs. gluing.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by French Fred French alps View Post
    Never judge a Tufo tyre before the 3 or 5 first rides....(Tufo tyres tubular or clincher). My advice after 15 years using almost all product family.
    Thanks for replying to this wildly popular thread...10 years after the last post. Tell me, how did you manage to find it? What exactly were you searching for?
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

Russian Troll Farmer
    I'd bet the S22's I had 10 years ago would still have tread left, if I hadn't pulled them off because they rode so damn hard. Still have one as a 'spare of last resort'.....
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Tufo S22 tubs make for GREAT stuffing in the back pocket as a spare (for those who ride tubs)!

Russian Troll Farmer
    Hey, Tufos do have their place. They are almost always lighter than comparable tires, they are as durable as iron, and they are never lumpy. I still use a set of S3 pros on my 'early season' wheelset, and they hold up to all the crap left on the roads after winter. They ride hard, but that's better than flatting....
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"