Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Upgrade suggestions for giant pr2 disc wheelset

65K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  RB Rob 
#1 ·
Last year I bought my wife a giant defy with the PR2 disc wheelset. I read on a review that they weigh 2040 grams. While I didn't weigh them myself, they seem heavy, and they don't roll well compared to my Soul wheelset on my bike. When I spin my front wheel and hers at the same time (I know this isn't the most accurate measurement ) mine goes on forever and hers stops way sooner.

Is there an adjustment of break in period for her wheels?

Anyone have a suggestion on sub $600 disc brake wheelset that's significantly lighter and rolls better ?

#2 ·
if you're sure the brakes aren't binding on her wheel, then it sounds like the bearings may be failing. I think you'll have a hard time finding a lighter, better wheelset that is disc compatible for sub $600, though. You might consider taking the wheel to your LBS and seeing if they can replace the hub alone to help it roll better.

#3 ·
I would give the wheels a once over first, then go from there. Giant has some great wheel systems, I am rolling on a set of the P-SL1's (carbon) and will be picking up a set of the P-SL0 tomorrow.

The Giant SL-1 wheels are 1835g and are well within your budget. the cross wheels P-CXR1 are a bit over your budget and would need a conversion kit for the front, but come in at 1755g.

Reactions: Puke N Hurl
#6 ·
1.5kg disc wheel set is a tough ask at any price. Our Nimbus Ti CLD set is within a thin hair of 1600g, which is at least a full pound lighter than what he's got now. But it's more about it being an expertly hand built wheel built of great parts - Pacenti SL25 rim, Sapim Laser and D-Light spokes, White Industries hubs. There isn't any "some of the ones..." there's just that one.

#7 ·
Just recieved my order and installed my second set of November Nimbus Ti's on my 2015 Defy Advanced replacing the Giant PR2's that it came with. Noticeable difference and long term reliability. I've got over 2,000 miles on the first set and they are solid as a rock. This is the best wheelset out there for the money. Gray hubs look great with the gray trim on the bike also....Get a set while they are still avaliable.....Thanks Dave for a great product and great service!

Tire Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Wheel Bicycle wheel rim
Circle Silver Gadget Wire Shadow

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.