Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Vintage Wheel Builders

3K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  Enoch562 
#1 ·
I have an old bike with 36-spoke wheels, and am looking to have a set of handbuilt wheels made for this bike using the original hubs. 2 questions:

What are the best rims and spokes I can buy to save weight but retain durability? (Without breaking the bank.) I had thought about just going with Vuelta Corsa Lites, which are great on a newer bike I have, but too wide for the chainstays on the old bikes.

Who are the reputable wheelbuilders these days? (Colorado Cyclist used to be...back when I was riding lots.)

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
The Mavic Open Sport fits the bill. I've built many wheels with its predecessors, the MA2, MA3. and MA40 and they are reliable rims that aren't too heavy. $50 each.

I don't know if the mail order firms will take your existing hubs and build wheels around them. I build my own wheels, but I did have good luck with Excel Sports in Boulder, CO when they built a set for me.

Honestly, any good local bike shop can build them; just ask around.

#3 ·
i always use sun m13ii rims and sapim race spokes. i buy both online. the spokes come from danscomp.com.

build them yourself in your upside down bike frame. these rims make it really easy to do. just follow sheldon's wheelbuilding page to a "t."

i surgically remove half the sun rim label -- looks way better without the "m13ii" part.

these rims come in 32h and 36h and in polished or dark finishes.

#4 · (Edited)
Appreciate the info. Is Sun even in business anymore? I can't find their website.

Looking for something light. The Open 4 Pros are about 420 grams apiece from what I can tell. Would love to go lighter, especially since I'm limited to 36 spokes unless I buy newer hubs. The Open 4 Pros are nice looking rims, though, and I think Silver would go well with my vintage, aqua-color, Sirrus.

Is there a site that allows one to find/compare rims based on cross section shape (looking for V section rims only) and weight?

#5 ·
Appreciate the info. Is Sun even in business anymore? I can't find their website.
are you using google? this is the first result with the search, "sun rims":
https://sun-ringle.com

searching "sun m13ii" results in a bunch of items listed around $25/ea. $70 shipped for a pair is a good deal. sometimes, you can find package deals on more than one on ebay or amazon. i've bought them from a number of online retailers. one i will never use again is outsideoutfitters.com, but not because of their customer service. they sent me a number of rims with small imperfections. when i order new rims, they must be perfect, or i'm returning them.

#7 ·
Thank you... I was using a different search engine, and searching on Sun-Mistral... They've changed names.

#8 ·
H+ Son makes the T14 which is a retro style rim. Their rims have a good reputation. I would trust them over anything Mavic.

#17 · (Edited)
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.