Vision Metron 40 Clincher
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2015

Vision Metron 40 Clincher

Hi all, Newbie here just wanted to know if anyone has any experience or know of any one who may have used these wheels ? I can get quite a decent deal on them compared to others in this category..
    this will my first full Carbon Wheelset I ride mainly flat and some hills, but planning to take on hills more as spring is approaching I'll be able to get out much more.
    Any opinions, experience would be highly appreciated as there's not many reviews on these, the ones I have read all seem fairly positive but prefer reviews/opinions from real users.

Thanks
    savio

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    never heard of these. but if their name indicates they're some 40mm carbon clinchers, then don't bother. 40mm ain't aero enough on the flat. And in the mountains, they're probably probably heavier than good aluminum (ie, not good on ascent) and won't brake as well as the aluminum on the descent.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    These came on my 2014 Cannondale Synapse Black Inc (yeah, the fancy one). And they're one of the reasons the bike was so expensive. I put maybe 500 miles on them and they seem nice enough. But they're kind of pigs - over 1600g I think. They are pretty and look nice on the bike. I'd say they're worth $1200 or so - they do have ceramic bearings (and that's what I'd sell mine to you for, incidentally!) But I would buy a set of Boyd's 44mm clinchers before I spent anywhere near what these retail for.

Anyway, I swapped them out for a wheelset built with Pacentis and the hubs I sell - they're just lighter and livelier. The Visions are now hanging on the wall in my office. I suppose I'll use the this summer again - they do look nice. But I think there are far better options out there for the money.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2015
    Thanks for the replies, yes your correct SBH1973 they come with the C'ndale Synapse and that is what I have but not the Black Inc, I can get these for 1200/900 which got my attention, apart from the looks you reckon there not all that ? Other alternatives are Shimano DA 50 Which have good reviews from what I've seen but some 100 more than the visions, can you guys suggest anything else around the 1000 mark ?
    i always thought anything over 35mm would be Aero' enough for what I do, wonder how the 50's would fair in the hills.

Thanks
    Savio

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    I see these are available on ProBikeKit for $1454 - about $175 less than US bike shops can buy them from distributors (I know, I have a shop and checked). Not bad!

But if I had $1500 (1000 quid) to spend on a new set of wheels, I'd buy these:

44mm clincher wheel set - Boyd Cycling

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2015
    Never heard of Boyd but just read through their site and I must say I'm impressed made in USA .. How do you find these on hills, braking? And how do they compare with your Visions or anything else youve ridden in the past ?
    would you know stocks these in UK or Europe

thanks
    savio

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SBH1973 View Post
    I see these are available on ProBikeKit for $1454 - about $175 less than US bike shops can buy them from distributors (I know, I have a shop and checked). Not bad!

But if I had $1500 (1000 quid) to spend on a new set of wheels, I'd buy these:

44mm clincher wheel set - Boyd Cycling
    That's what I currently have. Expensive but money well spent!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Vision makes fine products. Sagan's 2014 team used them. I have a set of the Vision Metron carbon bars and its a nice piece.

You can see the wheels being tested here:

RoadBikeReview Member
    They come as stock wheels on the '14 and '15 Synapse Black Ink and the rims are also used on the Bianchi Infinito CV Disc, but with Shimano hubs. There are lots of reviews online and they are rated very highly in all the ones I read. Am considering the Synapse so have done some research on them. I have no experience with them as I've only done one fairly short test ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Reynolds Cycling

how about these? I am considering a new wheel set for gravel/fondo type bike and I am looking for a wide set of wheels that are also lightweight. these reynolds, boyds (which look good but are more narrow and noticeably heavier) HED Ardennes + or stan's grail are in the running
    Dogma, synapse disc, caad 10, de rosa neo primato, felt CX, epic, fat bike

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2015
    That vid was pretty cool.. Yes the Reynolds I've looked at were the Assault SLG they also come in around the same price range probably a tad more, the ATR seem like a nice gravel wheel, I want something a bit aero as am spending the money, I'm sure if there good enough for Sagan then they should be good enough for me!
    looks like the Boyd's only available in US directly will see our import taxes are.
    any other suggestions welcome.

Thanks
    savio

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2007
    Hey Savio,
    Back a couple of months ago, I was so tempted to get the metron 40's from PBK and ship them to NY. There are some mysteries how the tariff and import duties work, I couldn't get a good answer out of interweb searches nor PBK. I passed, ultimately found a sweet deal on a 303 wheelset lightly used. My personal experience with PBK has been 100% positive, never a hitch but big purchases, there are some customers who got bad surprises in the form of new unexpected import expense. Boyds look legit and right here RBR classifieds, there are some nice wheels for sale.