Vision Team 35 or Stock Giant PR2??
    Have any Grey Poupon????
    May 2010

Vision Team 35 or Stock Giant PR2??

im looking to get a new set of wheels as i feel the Giant TCR stocks are sluggish.
    HOWEVER, i've only had either Zipps or factory wheels in the past and i really dont want to buy Zipps again.
    Looking at a set of the Vision Team 35 wheelsets, anyone have experience with them? Or have another recommendation for a cheapER set of wheels?
    My build is 5'8 250pounds so i a very stocky build but i make it a point to not hammer on bike and have surprisingly never popped a spoke or bent a wheel in my years.

Any recommendations on a cheaper priced set to gain some speed and...... lets be honest, add a little flair to my rig?

Wheels going on a 2019 Giant TCR Advanced 2. Clincher rim brake.
    Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself- William Faulkner

Road: 2011 Tarmac Comp
    MTB: 2011 Epic Comp 29er
    MTB SS : 2010 Rockhopper Expert
    Trainer : Trek 1000

'brifter' is a lame word.
    About 2 years ago Trek made the decision to spec a bunch of bikes w/ Vision Metron wheels since the Aeolus Comps weren't ready for production yet. I have no idea whether the wheels you're thinking about share anything w/ the Metrons but I will aggressively steer anyone looking at wheels away from any and all Vision products due to how shitty those wheels are. Warranty claim after warranty claim. Bad freehubs, bad rims...one problem after another. You couldn't pay me to ride their crap.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Any nearby shops have a demo program? Or riding buddies you can switch with?

Are you using the same tires you were using with wheels that didn't feel sluggish? Same bike fit and frame handling characteristics on the new bike?

What you feel is what you feel so I won't argue you feel sluggish but it's hard to believe it's the wheels so I'd try before you buy because I think there's a very good change new wheels would feel the same and be a waste of money.

Have any Grey Poupon????
    May 2010
    well im going to try a slightly different path first. I purchased 2 Continental GP4000s which is what ive always run in the past and im going to do a little tweaking to the bike.
    More i think ( and read ) it just doesn't seem feasible to purchase a new set of wheels that may only be marginally better than stock. I'll wait til i can afford a set of much better and well known wheels
    Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself- William Faulkner

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeeper006 View Post
    well im going to try a slightly different path first. I purchased 2 Continental GP4000s which is what ive always run in the past and im going to do a little tweaking to the bike.
    More i think ( and read ) it just doesn't seem feasible to purchase a new set of wheels that may only be marginally better than stock. I'll wait til i can afford a set of much better and well known wheels
    Good choice. Don't know which tires you currently have but I have stock Giant Gavia tires on one of my bikes, and although being tubeless, have a very 'dead' feeling. Once they're worn I'm switching too.
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider View Post
    Good choice. Don't know which tires you currently have but I have stock Giant Gavia tires on one of my bikes, and although being tubeless, have a very 'dead' feeling. Once they're worn I'm switching too.
    That's a very normal thing for a tubeless tire. The extra material in the casing to ensure they hold air makes them feel heavy and dead.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    That's a very normal thing for a tubeless tire. The extra material in the casing to ensure they hold air makes them feel heavy and dead.
    Apparently you missed the hype memo that tubeless tires ride so much better than tubed tires that it takes you to an entirely different astral plane /sarcasm

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    Apparently you missed the hype memo that tubeless tires ride so much better than tubed tires that it takes you to an entirely different astral plane /sarcasm
    I totally get that you are being sarcastic, and given some of the exaggerations around here about the wonders of tubeless, I totally get why.

But Id venture to say that both
    Tubeless = Nirvana
    and
    Tubeless = Heavy and Dead

Are a bit too broad as generalizations.

Ive been running some panaracers tubeless for the last 600 miles, and they are definitely NOT heavy and dead. Are they going to get me onto a pro team anytime soon? No way. But they feel plush, lively, and light. The first two are subjective, of course, but the last is measurable (I was running Schwalbe 1s with tubes before, and the panaracers weighed less than the schwalbes, and the weight of the sealant Im running weighs less than the tubes I had been running, so the setup is a bit lighter, even though I went to a wider tire).

IMO road tubeless doesn't have enough advantages to be worth dealing w/ the mess when you eventually do flat. I used tubeless for about 4 years on the road after having mountain tubeless for a few years before that. I got a flat (decent cut that obviously didn't seal) on my 50th b-day ride. At that point I had close to 20 years in the business and had probably been a pro team mechanic for almost 9 years. It was such a PITA/mess that as soon as I got home I switched back to tubes and have never looked back.

But...

I think that tubeless is the ONLY way to go for mtb. I've never flatted with it and if I were to be so unfortunate to have that happen I'm sure it wouldn't be such a disheartening mess.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    IMO road tubeless doesn't have enough advantages to be worth dealing w/ the mess when you eventually do flat. I used tubeless for about 4 years on the road after having mountain tubeless for a few years before that. I got a flat (decent cut that obviously didn't seal) on my 50th b-day ride. At that point I had close to 20 years in the business and had probably been a pro team mechanic for almost 9 years. It was such a PITA/mess that as soon as I got home I switched back to tubes and have never looked back.

But...

I think that tubeless is the ONLY way to go for mtb. I've never flatted with it and if I were to be so unfortunate to have that happen I'm sure it wouldn't be such a disheartening mess.
    I totally understand this position, which a lot of people share.

My only suggestion is a slight change to the language. I dont think the big issue is road tubeless. I think the issue is high pressure tubeless.

Im running 32mm tires (that measure out about 34) on my road bike, and Im running them at pressures of 47/50. At these pressures I think Im much much less likely to have some of the problems that people usually associate with road tubeless.

Some folks might also be interested in reading this guys blog, as hes been living with tubeless on all his bikes for a long time and a ton of miles. He is so convinced he can fix any tubeless puncture without a tube, that he doesnt even carry a spare tube. This avoids the problem you ran into, cxwrench, because instead of trying to take off the messy tire and put in a tube, hes just using worms and super glue.
    https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/blogs/n...tubeless-tyres

Im not saying its for everyone, but I do think running wider tubeless tires at lower pressures on their road bike is not the same as trying to pump 25mm tires up to 100+psi (and having them blow off the rim, etc.)

For what its worth, I would never run high pressure tubeless too many risks associated with the lack of standards for rim and tire size. But frankly in the future I dont plan to ride any tires at pressures higher than about 50.

Have any Grey Poupon????
    May 2010
    Im ready to go back to tubed on the road. I have been tubeless on MTB for close to 10yrs but i feel as though MTB is fully justified whereas road tubeless... meh.... dont see much benefit, at least in my particular type of riding. Plus i hate dealing with sealant with a passion.
    Tomorrow will be going from stock Giant Gavias tubeless bac to tubed GP4000s. Anxious to see if there is a noticeable feel in the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeeper006 View Post
    Im ready to go back to tubed on the road. I have been tubeless on MTB for close to 10yrs but i feel as though MTB is fully justified whereas road tubeless... meh.... dont see much benefit, at least in my particular type of riding. Plus i hate dealing with sealant with a passion.
    Tomorrow will be going from stock Giant Gavias tubeless bac to tubed GP4000s. Anxious to see if there is a noticeable feel in the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just to clarify, I really enjoy road tubeless and have been running them forever but didn't like the feel of the Gavias. I love Pro One's and Hutchinson Fusions and looking forward to trying the GP5k TL.
    You'll definitely get a better feel switching them out to 4K's, in fact you could probably switch to a 60tpi training tire and get a better feel.
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

Quote Originally Posted by fronesis View Post
    I totally understand this position, which a lot of people share.

My only suggestion is a slight change to the language. I dont think the big issue is road tubeless. I think the issue is high pressure tubeless.

Im running 32mm tires (that measure out about 34) on my road bike, and Im running them at pressures of 47/50. At these pressures I think Im much much less likely to have some of the problems that people usually associate with road tubeless.

Some folks might also be interested in reading this guys blog, as hes been living with tubeless on all his bikes for a long time and a ton of miles. He is so convinced he can fix any tubeless puncture without a tube, that he doesnt even carry a spare tube. This avoids the problem you ran into, cxwrench, because instead of trying to take off the messy tire and put in a tube, hes just using worms and super glue.
    https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/blogs/n...tubeless-tyres

Im not saying its for everyone, but I do think running wider tubeless tires at lower pressures on their road bike is not the same as trying to pump 25mm tires up to 100+psi (and having them blow off the rim, etc.)

For what its worth, I would never run high pressure tubeless too many risks associated with the lack of standards for rim and tire size. But frankly in the future I dont plan to ride any tires at pressures higher than about 50.
    The product and technique demonstrated by the silly man w/ the sweater and cycling gloves would never have worked on the cut in my tire. It was much more of a slice than a puncture and required a pretty serious boot. I've also had a nail puncture both the tire and tape, obviously his product would do no good at all in that case.