What is a wide rim? 22-23mm wide? What rims?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

What is a wide rim? 22-23mm wide? What rims?

Ok I'm considering building a REAR wheel or buying one with this new wide rim thing.
    I'm looking for clinchers (not tubular) with aluminum braking track. So what are my choices?
    I know the Dura Ace WH-7900 wheels are wide rim, but finding a rear wheel only can be hard on Ebay or anywhere. So I'm thinking of building one.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Why rear only? And why go wide?

Most standard rims are around 19mm OW. So, yes 22/23 is definitely wider.

Besides some pre-builts (Shimano, Zipp has a few but I think they are all tubular, HED), you have rims like the Velocity A23 and HED C2 Belgium.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by krisdrum View Post
    Shimano, Zipp has a few but I think they are all tubular
    Zipp offers the new wider Firecrest 303 & 404 in an all carbon clincher and you can purchase only the rear but that is a pricey option.
    There may not be an 'I' in team but there is a 'U' in suck!
    __0
    _ \ |_
    (O)/ (O)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009

wide wheel

Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    Ok I'm considering building a REAR wheel or buying one with this new wide rim thing.
    I'm looking for clinchers (not tubular) with aluminum braking track. So what are my choices?
    I know the Dura Ace WH-7900 wheels are wide rim, but finding a rear wheel only can be hard on Ebay or anywhere. So I'm thinking of building one.
    You are aware you cannot use both regular width and wide at the same time because braking distance is different or adjust every time

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by framesti View Post
    You are aware you cannot use both regular width and wide at the same time because braking distance is different or adjust every time
    Not entirely true. If the OP has multiple wheelsets he MIGHT be able to simply open the brake quick release for the wider rim(s) and have them work fine, then close them back down for the narrower rims. He would also be able to have a dedicated rear wheel that is wide, but would have to adjust from there should he want to swap back to a narrower rim.

I just installed my first set of wide rims (A23s) and the adjustment took maybe 2 minutes per brake to adjust the cable pinch bolt and retension. Initially I opened the quick release and that bought me enough room to get the wheel in, but since I am going wide on all my bikes, I made the more "permanent" adjustment to the calipers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have 23mm wide HED wheels and 19 mm wheels and change back and forth frequently. It's trivially easy to adjust the brakes. It's a bit less trivial to adjust the RD for the slightly different cassette position due to hub differences (unrelated to rim width), but still only takes a minute or two.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ms6073 View Post
    Zipp offers the new wider Firecrest 303 & 404 in an all carbon clincher and you can purchase only the rear but that is a pricey option.
    Is this only in the Firecrest versions? What about the regular non-Firecrest carbon clinchers 303 or 404?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Why rear only? And why go wide?

Most standard rims are around 19mm OW. So, yes 22/23 is definitely wider.

Besides some pre-builts (Shimano, Zipp has a few but I think they are all tubular, HED), you have rims like the Velocity A23 and HED C2 Belgium.
    I like to get a wider rear because
    1) I'm hard on the rear during fast descent and would like a little wider rear for more traction
    2) I might consider running a 25c rear tire in the future.

Overall, I'm setting up my bike to be like "motorcycle"-ish, ie, narrow soft front (using Pro3) and wider hard rear (using Conti GP4000). Setting up for the fast descend. Nothing insane, but I tend to go fast on the descend and just want to be safer by going a little wider & harder at the rear.

I would go both front & rear if I had not already just bought a new front wheel (at a great price). But I can live with a regular 19mm width at the front.

Will look into lacing a Velocity A23 with perhaps a Chris King rear hub.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    I like to get a wider rear because
    1) I'm hard on the rear during fast descent and would like a little wider rear for more traction
    2) I might consider running a 25c rear tire in the future.

Overall, I'm setting up my bike to be like "motorcycle"-ish, ie, narrow soft front (using Pro3) and wider hard rear (using Conti GP4000). Setting up for the fast descend. Nothing insane, but I tend to go fast on the descend and just want to be safer by going a little wider & harder at the rear.

I would go both front & rear if I had not already just bought a new front wheel (at a great price). But I can live with a regular 19mm width at the front.

Will look into lacing a Velocity A23 with perhaps a Chris King rear hub.
    Interesting concept. Just a note on your tire selection. From everything I've read the Pro3s tend to measure out wider than labeled and the GP4000s tend to measure out narrower than the label on standard 19mm rims. So, you are actually running soft and wide in the front and hard and narrow in the rear currently.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Interesting concept. Just a note on your tire selection. From everything I've read the Pro3s tend to measure out wider than labeled and the GP4000s tend to measure out narrower than the label on standard 19mm rims. So, you are actually running soft and wide in the front and hard and narrow in the rear currently.
    I want to run the GP4000 at the rear because of it's harder compound. Did not know that the GP4000 is actually narrower than the Pro3! Well if that is the case, then it's more reason for me to run a wider rim, and if have to, go a size up to the 25c GP4000. With the Pro3 in the back, I'm wearing it out almost twice as fast as the front.