Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Wheel build, need some tips :)

725 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Lombard 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,

i plan to build my own wheelset, carbon clincher 55 mm with Sapim Xray spokes.

when it comes to the hubs, iam not sure!

1) DT SWISS 240S (20 Spokes front and 20 or 24 rear)

2) Tune Mig70 (18 spokes front Mig170 20 Spokes rear)

What you guys would say concerning the strength of both setups?

We have an Triathlon Magazin here in Germany which tested a lot of wheels, and the most had less than 18 spokes in front and 20 back, and the recomendation concerning weight was 110 kg riderweight.

So would my second setup be strong enough to handle this weight? 100 kg - 110 kg?

#4 ·
I'd go 28 spoke count front and rear. Stronger than 20/24 but lighter than 32/32. Hell, I built up a set of Stan's No Tubes Crests on Sram XO hubs with DT Supercomps 32 spoke count. Came in just a hair over 1500 grams for the set.

If you get the right rim and hub combo, it can be strong and light.

#5 ·
At 84kg, I would go with no less than 24 spokes front, 28 spokes rear. If you really feel compelled to go with fewer spokes, you could do 20 in front, but I wouldn't do any less than 28 rear.

Personally, I don't like DT Swiss hubs for two reasons - they have an aluminum freehub and they are noisy as heck. Aluminum freehubs are prone to cassette gouging. If/when this happens, shifting will be poor and you will be uttering every curse word in existence when you try to remove the cassette from the freehub. I would go with Shimano Dura-Ace or White Industries T11 instead.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.