Wheel build, need some tips :)
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011

Wheel build, need some tips :)

Hey Guys,

i plan to build my own wheelset, carbon clincher 55 mm with Sapim Xray spokes.

when it comes to the hubs, iam not sure!

1) DT SWISS 240S (20 Spokes front and 20 or 24 rear)

2) Tune Mig70 (18 spokes front Mig170 20 Spokes rear)

What you guys would say concerning the strength of both setups?

We have an Triathlon Magazin here in Germany which tested a lot of wheels, and the most had less than 18 spokes in front and 20 back, and the recomendation concerning weight was 110 kg riderweight.

So would my second setup be strong enough to handle this weight? 100 kg - 110 kg?

'brifter' is a lame word.
    It depends on how hard you are on wheels. If you've had problems in the past w/ wheels going out of true I'd recommend as many spokes as possible. If you don't have wheel problems you should be fine w/ either. 110kg is heavy.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    It depends on how hard you are on wheels. If you've had problems in the past w/ wheels going out of true I'd recommend as many spokes as possible. If you don't have wheel problems you should be fine w/ either. 110kg is heavy.
    no, my weight is about 84 kg and my Bike is about 7,01 kg. I’am using the Spinergy PBO Stealth in past ive used also the Mavic Ksyrium elite and never had any problems but i wanna build this with a kind of space concerning weight.

Rub it............
    I'd go 28 spoke count front and rear. Stronger than 20/24 but lighter than 32/32. Hell, I built up a set of Stan's No Tubes Crests on Sram XO hubs with DT Supercomps 32 spoke count. Came in just a hair over 1500 grams for the set.

If you get the right rim and hub combo, it can be strong and light.
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

[REDACTED]
    At 84kg, I would go with no less than 24 spokes front, 28 spokes rear. If you really feel compelled to go with fewer spokes, you could do 20 in front, but I wouldn't do any less than 28 rear.

Personally, I don't like DT Swiss hubs for two reasons - they have an aluminum freehub and they are noisy as heck. Aluminum freehubs are prone to cassette gouging. If/when this happens, shifting will be poor and you will be uttering every curse word in existence when you try to remove the cassette from the freehub. I would go with Shimano Dura-Ace or White Industries T11 instead.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein