Wheel Builder

Thread: Wheel Builder

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009

Wheel Builder

Would you recommend a wheel builder with a good web site? I'm looking to compare parts and prices on a wheel set. I remember several years ago there was a builder from California that had a good site, but don't remember his name. He also sent monthly ( bimonthly) news letters. I looked through my emailbox dating back four years and could not find it. Any info on him or any builder is appreciated.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    I know one!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Not-So-Fast View Post
    Would you recommend a wheel builder with a good web site? I'm looking to compare parts and prices on a wheel set. I remember several years ago there was a builder from California that had a good site, but don't remember his name. He also sent monthly ( bimonthly) news letters. I looked through my emailbox dating back four years and could not find it. Any info on him or any builder is appreciated.
    November Wheels - highly respected builder
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

"The Spirit of the Party "serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    If I didn't build my own, November Dave/November Bicycles would get my $$$.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by cdhbrad View Post
    If I didn't build my own, November Dave/November Bicycles would get my $$$.
    ^^^This.^^^
    "COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL - VOTE in November." - System Shock.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

What the what???
    I've had good luck with prowheelbuilder.com. They've built my last three sets of wheels. You can either buy their pre-made wheels or you can choose rims, hubs, spokes and nipples and they will build it up to your spec and ship it to you.
    Given his penchant for nicknames, and his aversion to reading, I've decided to shorten Donald J. Trump to it's essence: Dump*

I was "social distancing" before it was cool.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Oy, what a spambot.....
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    November Wheels - highly respected builder
    Absolutely. Dave builds some serious wheels. Only other place Id consider is Wheelbuilder.com. But Dave at November is very easy to work with.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Notvintage View Post
    Absolutely. Dave builds some serious wheels. Only other place Id consider is Wheelbuilder.com. But Dave at November is very easy to work with.
    I understand Brandon at BHS is very good too.
    "COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL - VOTE in November." - System Shock.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I will gladly recommend bicyclewheelwarehouse.com. 2 sets of bulletproof wheels, great customer service. Two wheelbuilders in a small shop in CA., they used to have a presence on this site but have relocated to another forum.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    November is a great place to buy. I build my own wheels but I have bought rims and a frame(best value cycling purchase ever) from them. In addition, their web blogs will teach you more about wheels than you can find anywhere else on the interwebs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    BHS is where I buy all my wheel supplies. Ive been a customer of his since he got his start on EBay. Great guy to work with.

wheelbuilder
    Great builders recommended already. All the above will get you quality.

I think you are referring to wheelbuilder.com when looking for a site with a lot of information about a lot of components on their site. Judging strictly on site content they are one of the best. November (above) also has a lot of informative content.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Do wheelbuilders rebuild wheels with a used hub? I ask because I called Wheelbuilder.com asking if they would rebuild my wheel with a new rim but keeping the hub (which uses straightpull spokes). They said they won't rebuild with used hub with straightpull. I'm left wondering why. Is it because of a used hub? or is it because of a used hub with straightpull? Is there a reason why for this?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    Do wheelbuilders rebuild wheels with a used hub? I ask because I called Wheelbuilder.com asking if they would rebuild my wheel with a new rim but keeping the hub (which uses straightpull spokes). They said they won't rebuild with used hub with straightpull. I'm left wondering why. Is it because of a used hub? or is it because of a used hub with straightpull? Is there a reason why for this?
    I've had several wheelbuilders build a wheel with used hubs. Not straight pull though.

wheelbuilder
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    I can't speak for Wheelbuilder but I've done it in the past. I'm sure they have their reasons. I have turned down some hubs because I don't like them though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    I remember my wheelbuilder would inspect used hubs for reuse. One of my previous hubs were too scarred up on flanges from previous spoke/tension for reuse. I do not know if this applies with your hub configuration.
    RoadCube

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    I've had several wheelbuilders build a wheel with used hubs. Not straight pull though.
    Unless hub specs are obtainable, Straight pull hubs could be a bit more difficult to measure and get the dimensions right. I try to shy away from them unless I can find the specs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Also consider supporting your LBS. Granted, a lot of shops will have substandard wheelbuilders. But in our town we have about ten shops and I know that at least two of them are top notch who id Recommend to anyone,

As far as reluctance to rebuild withstraight pullspokes, from what I understand is that proper spoke tension can be difficult to maintain since the entire spoke (and of course the nipple) can rotate. This can be mitigated somewhat by using bladed spokes.