Wheel Building 101 - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2012
    Wow, there are a lot of hubs, rims, and spokes out there. Size, price, style, function, manufacturer, oh my! So how do you know quality? What makes each component "good"? Really, I just want to avoid junk more than anything. But I would also like to understand what makes a Chris King Hub cost $450 versus a simple 105 hub that costs $35.

A wheelist
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mybutthurts View Post
    Wow, there are a lot of hubs, rims, and spokes out there. Size, price, style, function, manufacturer, oh my! So how do you know quality? What makes each component "good"? Really, I just want to avoid junk more than anything. But I would also like to understand what makes a Chris King Hub cost $450 versus a simple 105 hub that costs $35.
    Ahhh it's not all that bad really. Just soak stuff up for a while and you'll be an expert in no time.

So how do you know quality? - stick to brand name stuff or stuff from respected sources. Their reputation rests on their stuff. BikeHubStore.com is a great example.

Chris King hubs are totally made in the Pacific NW. They even make their own ball bearings. Show me another hub company that does that. King are the Rolex Watch of hubs while lower end Shimano are the Timex of hubs - good but nothing fancy but they all get the job done. Shimano's DuraAce hubs are the quality equivalent of any hub on the market.

Most of BikeHubStore's hubs are sourced from Taiwan - and there is nothing wrong with that as his hubs are excellent and a 1/4 the price of stuff like King, Dura-Ace, DT 240, White Industries, the new Boyd, Phil Wood etcetera. Look at Curtis Odom hubs!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2012
    So the Kinlin rims they have are their "store branded" rims, then everything else would be the branded items. Those rims don't look too bad. Thanks for the tips.

A wheelist
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mybutthurts View Post
    So the Kinlin rims they have are their "store branded" rims, then everything else would be the branded items. Those rims don't look too bad. Thanks for the tips.
    I think Brandon has normal Kinlin, Kinlin-made BHS branded rims plus other rims (H+, Pacenti, Stan's, Velocity, Gigantex (carbon) etc.

If you're not sure about parts - ask us. Ask BHS's Brandon ask Kirk Pacenti. Everyone is so willing to help.

A wheelist
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by krisdrum View Post
    If you know the difference between left and right, can count into double digits, and can use a ruler/calipers you can build a set of wheels using the resources Mike outlined. Heck, Roger's e-book has plans for building the tools and stands you might need as well (as does Mike's stuff). I built my truing stand with maybe $20 worth of purchased materials and some scrap plywood from the garage.

It will take patience and time, but you will come out the other side with a set of wheels, or as Mike said, unscrew everything and take another crack at it. Your ability to build a wheel is only limited by your time and patience.
    ^^^ This. Says it all. Take 2 days, 2 weeks, 2 months building a wheelset. The knowledge gained will be massive.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T. View Post
    ^^^ This. Says it all. Take 2 days, 2 weeks, 2 months building a wheelset. The knowledge gained will be massive.

I know this is as an old thread but thinking of trying my hand at wheel building.

Mike's site seems to no longer be active. Has it moved? Any new resources?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Looks like Roger Musson's e-book is still available. Link to it in the 2nd post in this thread (page 1). Not a free resource, but not a huge investment either ($12 USD). With that, you wouldn't need any other resources.

I ended up lacing up several wheels, but never found the time to do a full build with tension. The laced up wheels usually sat for awhile and I'd get impatient and bring them to the LBS to have them checked and tensioned. Been riding my original 24/28 A23 rims since, with no issues.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by krisdrum View Post
    Looks like Roger Musson's e-book is still available. Link to it in the 2nd post in this thread (page 1). Not a free resource, but not a huge investment either ($12 USD). With that, you wouldn't need any other resources.

Think I will pick that up.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by tommybike View Post
    Think I will pick that up.
    Roger Musson's ebook is probably the best investment you will ever make. That $12 includes lifetime free updates. Follow his directions to the letter and you are almost guaranteed success.

Mike T. hasn't been around in a long time and sadly he took his site down as well. I think he's OK, just probably very busy now as he became a grandpa a couple of years ago. Or maybe just no longer interested. I know he came out of "forum retirement" as he put it, about a year ago for a few posts. Look him up and click on recent posts and you will see.
    "COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL - VOTE in November." - System Shock.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm not sure where he went. His info is greatly missed.
    I think perhaps he's went into a for-profit route. He's got info on other sites.

https://www.homemadetools.net/sites/miketechinfo.com

https://www.roadbikerider.com/mike-tierney-d1/
    Iím honored to write The Wheel Builder column for RoadBikeRider.

www.roadbikerider.com/the-wheel-builder-essential-tools-for-the-job-d1

Thankfully for the internet archive, you can still find his old webpage. Links don't always work but most of the info is there.
    web.archive.org/web/20180309185924/http://miketechinfo.com/new-tech-wheels-tires.htm
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Roger Musson's ebook is probably the best investment you will ever make. That $12 includes lifetime free updates. Follow his directions to the letter and you are almost guaranteed success.......
    It's funny how hard this is to do. I remember my first 'real' wheel, one with 3x lacing. I thought I'd followed the directions religiously, but something wasn't quite right. After hours of comparing it with other wheels, it turned out I'd screwed up only 1 thing, and that was the very first step. My lace crossed over the valve hole, not away from it, which meant I had to completely start over...

There is no single thing about wheelbuilding that is really difficult or takes much skill (aside maybe from tensioning by ear), but there is a distinct order in which they must be done in.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    I'm not sure where he went. His info is greatly missed.
    I think perhaps he's went into a for-profit route. He's got info on other sites.

https://www.homemadetools.net/sites/miketechinfo.com

https://www.roadbikerider.com/mike-tierney-d1/
    Iím honored to write The Wheel Builder column for RoadBikeRider.

www.roadbikerider.com/the-wheel-builder-essential-tools-for-the-job-d1

Thankfully for the internet archive, you can still find his old webpage. Links don't always work but most of the info is there.
    web.archive.org/web/20180309185924/http://miketechinfo.com/new-tech-wheels-tires.htm
    That's good to see he's still active so-to-say. I have to wonder if the increasing vitriol here on RBR drove him away and on to other outlets.
    "COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL - VOTE in November." - System Shock.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12