Wheel help?

Thread: Wheel help?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2014

Wheel help?

I'm a 210 lb rider (not racer) and I need to get a rear wheel (built), and I am pretty set on the HED Belgium C2 rim. I am leaning towards an Ultegra 6800 hub, but wonder if there is any real advantage to spending a little more and getting something akin to a DT350 hub instead.

This is my first wheelset, so I am lost in some of the options and am hoping for some help. I am looking at a build from AEBike (vendor from Handspun/Quality), and spoke options listed are DT Champion, Competition, and Revolution. I can find dimensional data on these, but that doesn't help me much.

And what about nipples? I hear brass is stronger, aluminum is lighter (I don't really care about saving 3 grams honestly) but then they have "ProLock" nipples. What are these about and do I care?

I tried calling AEBike, but they didn't know what to recommend for me, and I don't think Handspun is going to talk to me when I am looking for advice to build a single wheel. Can people here pitch in?
    Last edited by BlazingSlow; 07-31-2014 at 01:49 PM.

A wheelist
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingSlow View Post
    I'm a 210 lb rider (not racer) and I need to get a rear wheel (built), and I am pretty set on the HED Belgium C2 rim. I am leaning towards an Ultegra 6800 hub, but wonder if there is any real advantage to spending a little more and getting something akin to a DT350 hub instead.
    I'm not familiar with the DT350 (I am with the 240) so I'll let someone else help you with that.

This is my first wheelset, so I am lost in some of the options and am hoping for some help. I am looking at a build from AEBike (vendor from Handspun/Quality), and spoke options listed are DT Champion, Competition, and Revolution. I can find dimensional data on these, but that doesn't help me much.
    I'll give you a rundown and my opinions on the spokes -
    DT Comp - their most popular spoke and for good reasons. The thinner centre section absorbs shock and transmits less shock and load to the most common place for spoke breakages - the j-bend elbow. 2.0/1.8/2.0mm wire thickness.
    DT Champ - plain gauge spokes (same wire thickness for the whole spoke). Inexpensive. Transmits more shock to the elbow. IMO, get them if you just have to save about $0.25 per spoke. 2.0mm wire thickness.
    DT Rev - same as the Comp but a thinner (1.5mm) centre section. Lighter, absorbs more shock. Harder to build with as the spoke twists more. Some say it builds a more durable wheel as more shock loads are absorbed. Only use them/have them used if the builder knows what they're doing (see my site for info).

And what about nipples? I hear brass is stronger, aluminum is lighter (I don't really care about saving 3 grams honestly) but then they have "ProLock" nipples. What are these about and do I care?
    The best feature of aluminum nipples it their colors. Aluminum are strong enough for me (haven't broken one in over 15 years). You don't need to save a few grams so unless you just have to have a colour, choose brass.
    Prolock is their nipple with a locker fluid in the threads. Properly built wheels don't need the threads to be gummed up to stop nipples unscrewing. I use the best lube I can find - anti-seize compound - and haven't had one nipple unscrew in decades.

So for you I would suggest - DT Comp spokes (or the equivalent Sapim Race - my fave), brass nipples and enough spokes for your weight and with the Ulteg hub that will be 32/32 anyway. I'd go no lower than 28/32.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    What is your budget to work with? Building up Belgium C2s with straight pull DT350 hubs is a $750 prospect (with Sapim CX-Ray spokes)

Although as Belgium builds go...with DT350s you're looking at 1700ish grams. You can go lighter as well as stiffer, but it'll be more than a $750 tab. Although for a 210# fella, lighter isn't all that big a deal unless you have to go up stairs in an apartment complex.
    Last edited by Marc; 07-31-2014 at 02:27 PM.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2014
    Mike, Thanks or the great feedback!! That puts me pretty close to straight on.

Marc, I'm looking at a rear wheel only at this point, so that helps me mitigate costs until I decide/need a matching front wheel. From AE Bike, I am looking at about $280 as a ultegra/belgium build (32 spoke). For the DT350, I think I add about 90 bucks or so. But I am having a hard time understanding any advantage of DT350s.

CX'er
    I will say go with shimano if on a budget; I think they're up there with the most cost effective hub around as they last a really long time and I just like the silent, stealthy roll they have instead of it sounding like there's a weedwacker behind you when you cost. It's always nice to roll smoothly on my shimano hubbed training hoops after a noisy weekend on my carbon race wheels. Just feels like you're gliding everywhere.

May be an exaggeration but I do think shimano hubs (maybe just good loose ball bearings in general?) are the nicest rolling hubs around.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2014
    Ok, On Order!! Went with Hed Belgium C2, Ultegra 6800 Hub,
    DT Swiss Revolution Spokes (32 @ 3x pattern) and black brass nipples. All at AEBike for about $270 delivered (Built by Handspun/Quality Wheels). I'll provide some feedback once they it is in!

PS. I'll have a gator hardside 25mm on it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have velocity chukkar rims and White Industries hubs, I come in at 275 and o what a difference. Very happy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Finally a reasonable member, looking for a good spoke count and pattern for weight and riding style.
    Rep'ed
    As Campy 11 chains don't follow the 12 1/16" rule, it's wise to change them at 132.60 mm max.
    Lights and road riding - it's not about what you need to see, it's what it takes to be seen.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2014
    Wheel arrived! Shipping was quick (took 8 days from ordering to arrival). One note is that the wheel does not have rim tape, so if you order from them, grab some tape while waiting. Since I was at the lbs anyway, I had them check if the wheel was true, and it was. Got that I 3 pectin and ordered from AEBike.com!

Also, Thanks Mike! I'll admit there was a point when I thought I wanted the lightest wheels around, but the more I looked into it, it was silly. This Clydesdale needs a solid training wheel that will last!