Wheel set recommendation for a light rider?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005

Wheel set recommendation for a light rider?

This is for my wife, just over 52 kg/115 pounds. Though also me, I'm not much heavier and we mix and match.

This is for serious recreational riding: we don't race but try to push it. Where we are has no major climbs, but is rarely flat and is often quite windy.

I have Zonda C17s, and love the way they roll, but they're at the limit of being too clattery and harsh for me on rougher roads. My wife can't stand them.

Looking for recommendations for a wheel that would be a bit kinder than Zondas, but still carry speed well. Budget would go up to Racing Zeros but my understanding is that they're even stiffer than Zonda/Racing 3.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bing181 View Post
    This is for my wife, just over 52 kg/115 pounds. Though also me, I'm not much heavier and we mix and match.

This is for serious recreational riding: we don't race but try to push it. Where we are has no major climbs, but is rarely flat and is often quite windy.

I have Zonda C17s, and love the way they roll, but they're at the limit of being too clattery and harsh for me on rougher roads. My wife can't stand them.

Looking for recommendations for a wheel that would be a bit kinder than Zondas, but still carry speed well. Budget would go up to Racing Zeros but my understanding is that they're even stiffer than Zonda/Racing 3.
    what tires, tire size and pressure are you running?
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    what tires, tire size and pressure are you running?
    And to add to this, will your bikes allow larger tires?
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    You need bigger tires, better tires, less air pressure or some combination of the three. I think latex tubes help too.

New wheels will do virtually nothing to give you a smoother ride.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    This is for my wife, just over 52 kg/115 pounds.

What pressure is she running? Hopefully not what's listed on the tire sidewall.

My wife weighs 90lbs. She rides at 50psi f/60psi on 23mm tires.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

[REDACTED]
    First off, wheels have virtually no effect on ride comfort. The most effective shock absorbers on your bike are YOUR TIRES. If you're looking to improve comfort, look for wider tires, more supple tires (higher thread count - TPI) and run lower pressure. If your wife is 115lbs and running 25mm tires, her correct pressures are around 55 PSI F/65 PSI R. If she moves up to 28mm tires, you would drop that to around 45F/55R. Anything more is unnecessary and will not gain her any speed. Many people erroneously think more pressure is always faster. Remember, a harsh ride will FEEL faster, but isn't really faster.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Custom wheels

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks all.

Running GP4000 sII in 25s across all these wheels. Some with latex. From the above comments, we can obviously drop the pressure a bit, though we're not too far off.

Don't agree that "it's all in the tyres". For years I ran Eurus/Neutron, and more recently, Zonda/Shamal, and in all cases, with the same tyres, tubes, inflation there's always been a difference - and at times a marked difference - in the comfort. Neutrons are more comfortable than Eurus/Zonda, while in my case, the Shamals are noticeable more comfortable (and smoother) than the Zondas - even though the Zondas are the wider C17 version.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Thanks all.

Running GP4000 sII in 25s across all these wheels. Some with latex. From the above comments, we can obviously drop the pressure a bit, though we're not too far off.

Don't agree that "it's all in the tyres". For years I ran Eurus/Neutron, and more recently, Zonda/Shamal, and in all cases, with the same tyres, tubes, inflation there's always been a difference - and at times a marked difference - in the comfort. Neutrons are more comfortable than Eurus/Zonda, while in my case, the Shamals are noticeable more comfortable (and smoother) than the Zondas - even though the Zondas are the wider C17 version.
    The spoke pattern (and resulting rim construction) on those wheels can indeed change the ride, but as others have noted, tire pressure/width (and tire selection) will have a bigger effect. For someone as light as you two stay away from deep section rims as they would present problems in crosswinds. At your weight, assuming a reasonably "light" riding style, you can use low spoke counts/light rims. The problem is that low spoke counts lead to high spoke tension and therefore heavier rims to deal with it. A custom wheel is probably your best bet.

changingleaf
    Like others have said, your biggest gain can be had from larger tires and less air pressure. If you want a lighter weight set that are less stiff the DT Swiss RR 411 alloy rim is a good place to start.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks for the replies.

Just to update, getting considerable joy from Dura Ace C24's running 25 tyres. Perfect for me. My even lighter partner is happy on Shamal's running 25's - though she prefers a stiffer ride to me, and these are older Shamal's, so not sure if that also has something to do with it.