Wheels for Weekend Warrior. Kysrium Equipes or Ksyrium ELites?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2015

Wheels for Weekend Warrior. Kysrium Equipes or Ksyrium ELites?

Are Ksyrium Equipes more than adequate for a recreational/semi-competitive cyclist?

Or are the Elite WTS an overall better value in terms of weight and durability?

Thanks

banned
    Nov 2009
    lots of better options that don't have proprietary spokes.

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    Looks like you haven't discovered the 'wheels/tires' section of the forum, nor made use of the search function.

Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheelsets - clincher Reviews - RoadbikeReview.com

A quick google search finds:

Mavic Ksyrium Elite 2015 wheelset - review

And this:
    Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheelset gets updated with wider rim

And this:
    Mavic updates Ksyrium Elite wheelset - Cycling Weekly

And one more for good measure:
    Mavic updates Ksyrium Elite wheels with wider rims | road.cc

As for the Equipe:

Help me understand a Mavic wheel upgrade | road.cc

And this:

Mavic Ksyrium Equipe wheelsets - clincher Reviews - RoadbikeReview.com

See how easy that was? You didn't actually have to do any work yourself.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2015
    I think your bike shorts are on a little too tight.

And I think you're a lazy ass new member. Figure out how the forum works and learn to search and you'll find all you need to know. Do you really think you're the first person to wonder about Mavic wheels? The site is called Road Bike Review for a reason, the 'reviews' button is even placed before the 'forum' button.

There are plenty of members here that have been around for years and can provide tons of good advice if you don't start off on the wrong foot and come across as lazy. Post #1 does that and post #2 doesn't help.
    #promechaniclife

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Which of two heavy, unaerodynamic, expensive wheels with bizarro proprietary parts that cost $$$ and take weeks to get a hold of should you buy?

Sounds different when I phrase it like it is and drop branding and marketing-ese.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Which of two heavy, unaerodynamic, expensive wheels with bizarro proprietary parts that cost $$$ and take weeks to get a hold of should you buy?

Sounds different when I phrase it like it is and drop branding and marketing-ese.
    ^Most likely the best advice that will get posted in this thread.^
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010

Well put LOL.

Mavic wheels are fine if you live in Europe and have ready access to spares. In North America? No way. OP ask to see your store's supply of replacement Mavic spokes. Ask the store if they will loan you replacement wheels while you wait for your wheels to be fixed.

Seriously I don't know how Mavic stays in business.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinelli 82220 View Post
    Well put LOL.

Mavic wheels are fine if you live in Europe and have ready access to spares. In North America? No way. OP ask to see your store's supply of replacement Mavic spokes. Ask the store if they will loan you replacement wheels while you wait for your wheels to be fixed.

I'd wager OEM wheels for floor bikes is most of their income and units moved.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    I'd say anything but Mavic.
    Tis the season for all of us not hard enough to play to belittle those not hard enough to win. We are a funny lot. - dave @ November Bicycles

RoadBikeReview Member
    Well put LOL.

Buy replacement spokes and the right tool to tighten them, and true 'em yourself. Just like with standard stainless steel spokes with 4 flat nipples.

Or better yet, choose a nice set of hubs like Phil Wood, and have a wheel builder lace up the new "wide rims" 32 spokes front and rear. They'll last a lifetime with probably little weight penalty. Twenty years from now standard 14 or 15 gauge spokes will still be available in most shops.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013

Very well said!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    Sorry for the rude reception you received.
    I build all my my own wheels as do others here.
    For but those who don't the consensus is to get these:

November Bicycles: Race smart. - Alloy Nimbus Ti Wheelsets

Select Pacenti SL23 V2 rims, you won't regret it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have had good luck picking up Mavic Krysium SSC, etc used on ebay & CL (prefer CL) for the obvious reason of giving then a good look before handing over the cash, that being said I have had good luck with ebay and buying only from individuals selling there own used wheels and not the bigger used store types on there. I also have the wrench to true them myself and not hard at all to take apart, clean etc as plenty of videos on you tube to learn.

Banned forever.....or not
    What does "semi-competitive cyclist" mean?????
    Is that something like a Cat 6 racer?

Do you believe that a set of factory wheels will make you faster than a set of hand made wheels??
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    for a weekend warrior i'd be going shimano rs81, unless money isn't too much an object which in that case brings it back up to Dura Ace C-24's. Either way you can't go wrong.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY View Post
    What does "semi-competitive cyclist" mean?????
    Is that something like a Cat 6 racer?

Do you believe that a set of factory wheels will make you faster than a set of hand made wheels??
    Point being hand trued and tensioned wheels are stiff under loads, don't flex climbing, descending, braking, track like on a rail, and won't break in a spill.

Machine built wheels can't do that. The best are always hand trued and tensioned at the last stage of production.

Neophyte
    I loved my RS80s but am not impressed with my RS81s. If I had it to do over again, I'd go with the Dura Ace C24s. They are on sale everywhere right now (imagine that Shimano will be coming out with wider wheel soon).

I do agree with cxwrench, though, better discussed in wheels forum. And that said, I'm surprised more posts don't get moved by mods to more specific forum sometimes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    Well put LOL.

I think I've broke two spokes in the last 15 years, both in a wheel that had to be brought back to life after ending up somewhere near the bottom of a pile-up.
    How often are people really breaking spokes in decent wheels?
    Blows your hair back.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I bought a set of Mavic Ksyriums back when there was only one version of them. They were $800. So maybe 15 years ago. I rode them thousands of miles. Maybe tens of thousands of miles. Commuted on them. Did bike vacations on them. Never had to true them (I weigh 200 lbs). I once broke a spoke on them and my LBS fixed it while I waited -- yes, they had them in stock. They're still on one of my bikes that I ride about 1000 miles/year.

That said, I've come to the conclusion that Mavic wheels aren't a good value. For $800 you can get a nice set of custom wheels that is suitable to your weight and riding style. Also quite a bit lighter and more aero. Do me and my 125 lbs wife need to be riding the same wheels? No. November bikes has a good deal (~ $650) on the type of wheels I've been having built for me and my wife. Check them out of PM me and I can recommend the guy who builds the last two sets I've purchased.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    I bought a set of Mavic Ksyriums back when there was only one version of them. They were $800. So maybe 15 years ago. I rode them thousands of miles. Maybe tens of thousands of miles. Commuted on them. Did bike vacations on them. Never had to true them (I weigh 200 lbs). I once broke a spoke on them and my LBS fixed it while I waited -- yes, they had them in stock. They're still on one of my bikes that I ride about 1000 miles/year.

That said, I've come to the conclusion that Mavic wheels aren't a good value. For $800 you can get a nice set of custom wheels that is suitable to your weight and riding style. Also quite a bit lighter and more aero. Do me and my 125 lbs wife need to be riding the same wheels? No. November bikes has a good deal (~ $650) on the type of wheels I've been having built for me and my wife. Check them out of PM me and I can recommend the guy who builds the last two sets I've purchased.
    I have a pair of Krysium Elite's. I don't much care for them, but they are bullet proof. They do ride better than the Rolf Prima's I formerly had on my 2001 Trek.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2015
    I'm riding a set of Boyd Altamont Lites. IMO, they have a very nice price to performance ration.

Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Do me and my 125 lbs wife need to be riding the same wheels? No.
    ^This is one of the main points...^ Why make one wheel that is supposed to be just fine for everyone from less than 100lbs to well over 200lbs? This makes no sense at all because the wheel has to be strong enough to survive the big riders so it's way overbuilt for smaller riders.

Not to mention all the proprietary BS.

And the fact they're French.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    And the fact they're French.
    I don't get that part.

BTW, There is no French in my family tree.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    Point being hand trued and tensioned wheels are stiff under loads, don't flex climbing, descending, braking, track like on a rail, and won't break in a spill.

Machine built wheels can't do that. The best are always hand trued and tensioned at the last stage of production.
    Not all "factory" wheels are machine built.

Not all hand trued and tensioned wheels are stiff under loads, don't flex climbing, descending, braking, track like on a rail, and won't break in a spill. Buy a handmade wheelset with too few spokes and/or too light a rim for a given rider and you will not get what you claim.

The design of the wheel is as important as the assembly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast