Wider Rims and 25c tires.
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2003

Wider Rims and 25c tires.

I need a stronger wheel set and started looking around at what is availble for custom wheel builds. Through a link to Analytic Cycling I determined that the weight of the rim will not affect the speed at which I can ride. I am considering the DT Swiss TK540 rim. It is wider at 23.6mm wide which will work with the 25c tires and it looks to be super strong. Anyone have any experience with these?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Rim weight has NO effect on performance? Link please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2004
    what tire size will you be using? 28c? Because 24mm rim for me requires 28mm minimum or fat 25mm tire. I'd prefer 20-23mm width. There are 22 and 23mm rims: hed, sun cr18. Theoretically you can use 28c tire most rims.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Effect

Quote Originally Posted by krisdrum
    Rim weight has NO effect on performance? Link please.
    The kind of weight the OP is talking about will have negligible effect on flat road speed, and minimal effect when climbing. See analyticcycling.com. The effects are so small that there's no serious error in saying no effect. I'm guessing the OP means "no effect worth considering a different choice."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2003
    Will a 25cm tire fit on those rims?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sigepf94
    Will a 25cm tire fit on those rims?
    No, a 25cm tyre won't fit anything this side of a Harley, but a 25mm will.

Seriously, I ride Velocity A23s with 23mm tyre on front and 24 mm on rear with no problems. Actual widths increase by a bit more than 1mm due to wider bead seat.

I couldn't go 25mm on the rear because it wouldn't fit under my Delta brakes.

drc
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2006
    Are those the previous TK 7.1 rims? I run those on my SS cyclocross frame. The roads in Fallon NV range from glass smooth to fresh chipseal to packed dirt/gravel. I run 25 mm tires at 80f/85r PSI and the ride is remarkably pleasant. so much in fact I had some Velocity Synergy rims laced to WI hubs for my road bike . it is a great ride. Valleycyclist, a regular on this board, built them. I weigh 180#.
    Last edited by drc; 08-12-2010 at 08:12 PM.