Which wider tires for heavier guy
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006

Which wider tires for heavier guy

Hey all... yet another 'which tire' question. I recently picked up my first 'semi serious' road bike in many years. I weigh 210-ish and the bike came with Maxis 700x22C tires which I fear are too small for my weight.

As I said, this is my first decent quality road bike since probably 1992 or so so at this point, I am MORE than willing to trade away a bit of speed for comfort and rim protection. I guess I'm looking at something in the 26-32mm range... Not wanting to get into any of the 38s or anything like that. Riding will be good quality to moderate quality pavement exclusively at this point... No competition... no off-roading... At this juncture, price is important... I'd like to stay at or under $25 each and have no problem ordering via the internet.

The Continental Top Touring 2000 seems to be close to what I'm looking for, but a more robust sidewall and more weight might be better for now. How about the Kenda Kwest in 700x28? Seems like a tire that heavy would be fairly robust and durable.

Big is relative
    Quote Originally Posted by cratz2
    Hey all... yet another 'which tire' question. I recently picked up my first 'semi serious' road bike in many years. I weigh 210-ish and the bike came with Maxis 700x22C tires which I fear are too small for my weight.

As I said, this is my first decent quality road bike since probably 1992 or so so at this point, I am MORE than willing to trade away a bit of speed for comfort and rim protection. I guess I'm looking at something in the 26-32mm range... Not wanting to get into any of the 38s or anything like that. Riding will be good quality to moderate quality pavement exclusively at this point... No competition... no off-roading... At this juncture, price is important... I'd like to stay at or under $25 each and have no problem ordering via the internet.

The Continental Top Touring 2000 seems to be close to what I'm looking for, but a more robust sidewall and more weight might be better for now. How about the Kenda Kwest in 700x28? Seems like a tire that heavy would be fairly robust and durable.
    You have to see if your frame/fork will handle anything larger than a 25mm. I have some 25mm tires on a training wheelset that have about an 1/8" clearance to the rear brake caliper. Some brands of forks don't have clearance as well. The best thing to do is to take your bike to your LBS and ask them to swap out a wheel from another bike with a larger size tire to see if it fits. Pick a brand and compare a 25 to a 28mm, there isn't much difference. FWIW, I am five pounds heavier than you and race on 23mm tires. I commute on 25 and 28mm tires.
    Retired sailor

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2006
    I 'm 6 ft,weigh 195lbs, and I'm finding that the Armadillo tires that Specialized makes are plenty up to the task of supporting my portly ass, even in 23. I imagine 25's would be better, but have had no urge to find out. They are incredibly thick, heavy, and tough tires (their primary design is for flat resistance), which makes them a poor choice for racing, but an excellent choice for poor roads and/or heavy riders. They're a little more than you want to spend, but bet they make up for it in longevity.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

25 mm

25 mm tires should be fine at your weight.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    I'm also 210 lbs and I have been riding 700X23C tires for the last year (when I also got back into riding again) with no problems. I keep them inflated to 107lbs in the back and about 105 in the front. I ride on pretty good road surfaces. Maybe average one flat every 1000 miles or so. Unless you ride on bad roads I dont see any reason to ride on any tires larger than 25C.
    "The Shill"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2005
    I am down to 276 from 300 and I don't have a problem with 23's. I have had two flats and that was on the same ride. Missed the sliver of glass the first time. I don't think you will have problems with what you have.

Aug 2004
    Got you all beat----I am 275 lbs and I ride Vredestein Fortezza (plain black Fortezza----not SE or TriComp) at 145-155psi with no problems whatsoever---no pinch flats or other issues. Handles great, medium weight tread tire at around 250g so not a lot of weight to carry around on your hoops (like a couple grams matter to me), and they wear like iron. High running pressure does make the ride a bit rougher than some lower pressure tires but not enough that it makes a difference to me.

If you really want to ride a bigger tire to minimize risk of pinch flats, I would suggest running the 23's on the front and 25's on the back, since virtually every pinch flat occurs on the rear.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    Cratz--not sure why you are that concerned with tire width. Just make sure it is in good condition, properly inflated on a rim that can support your weight. You are more likely to bust a spoke on a weak wheel than have an issue with a tire. You are a relative flyweight!

B21

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jlfbogey
    High running pressure does make the ride a bit rougher than some lower pressure tires but not enough that it makes a difference to me.
    Not only that, high pressure also increases the real rolling resistance. Yes, a 25+mm tire with the lowest pressure you can use (probably <100psi at 200lb) will actually be faster... and far more comfortable.

Can't Hardly Wait
    Apr 2004
    I am on Conti GP3000 x 25's. Run just over 100 psi. Started out this spring at 205 on these (am down quite a bit now). I really like the comfort of these and have been durable. Pricey though...
    Greg

getting older
    I really like Continentals for durability. I almost always run the GP 4 Season (23mm front, 25mm rear) on my racing bike. The are quite resistant to crap in the road and stand up quite well.

On our tandem we use the 700x28 Conti Gatorskin. From what I've read and been told by tandem folk - Santana convinced Continental to make the 700x28 of this tire (it comes stock on most Santanas as well as other high end tandems). Our combined weight is ~330 lbs and they hold up quite well.