Williams System 31 & Virgo Hubs
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010

Williams System 31 & Virgo Hubs

Anyone would like to chime in with their experience with Williams System 31 wheels and their Virgo hubs. I'm looking into upgrading from RS10 due to rim damage.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Maybe they are being over cautious but I would stay away from wheels with a 190 pound weight limit (and I weigh 145).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Maybe they are being over cautious but I would stay away from wheels with a 190 pound weight limit (and I weigh 145).
    I noticed that as well and also lack of reviews on the new hub design got me thinking.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Standard KinLin XR31T rims on ChoSen hubs.

You can do much better for that kind of money.
    Alleged "Campy fanboy" and "Einstein".

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Mackers View Post
    Standard KinLin XR31T rims on ChoSen hubs.

You can do much better for that kind of money.
    I'm not really tied to this wheel in any way, open to suggestions in that price range. My weight is 155lb if that helps.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Have a look here and click on "road" Bicycle Wheel Warehouse

I'm not suggesting you buy from there (or that you don't) but looking should give you a good idea of what's possible in your price range. They are cheaper than most but I think it'll give you a pretty good idea.

I've never spoken to BWW but I'd assume like most hand builders they'd be glad to steer you in the right direction based on weight, riding, budget ect.

I'm 10 pounds lighter that you but let's call it the same. I have all sorts of wheels but if I had to pick just one spoke count for regular road riding I'd probably go 20/28.
    I've had 24 rear wheels and put about 15K on them. Problems were minor but I prefer 0 issues like I've gotten with 28 rear.

Never had a problem with 20 front (not counting a crash that would have trashed anything)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yeah, but BWW are basically more of the same thing. KinlLin XR26T rims with an older type of ChoSen hubs and a cheaper spoke to arrive at the lower price point. I'm not a big system wheels kinda guy but those wheels make Campy's Sciroccos or Zondas look pretty good if you can live with the silly G3 pattern.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    So after a little bit more research it comes down to either Fulcrum 3/Zonda/Ultegra or kinlin XR31t+ based wheels. As I understand Kinlin based wheels will have wider internal and outer rim, what real world difference does the rim width make between those two options. At my riding style I see almost no benefit of a more aerodynamic rim however if the wider rim can provide a better riding experience I'd gladly take that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Wider rims allow your wider clincher tyres to be a bit rounder, thus improving the shape of your contact patch for lower rolling resistance. Wider tyres are meant to be used at lower pressure which will improve compliance (and thus rolling resistance again) as well as ride quality.

Aerodynamics don't really come into it. They will be adversely impacted by the wider tyre. Just not as badly as the same size tyre on a narrower rim.

Personally I find wider clinchers in front at the pressures I'm used to riding, to corner quite poorly.