Adorable Furry Hombre

Yo, wheelbuilders: Onyx hubs?

Any of you all work with Onyx hubs? Concerns/problems?

https://onyxrp.com/

This would be for a thru-axle graveling bike...and the idea of a silent cartridge bearing hub is very appealing. There's a few threads on Weight Weenies and MTBR, but nothing about CX/road yet....granted I'd have to use their MTB front hub as they don't make a 15x100 CX front hub...
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    I would also like to know. Im thinking about building up a set of wheels with these hubs.

wheelbuilder
    I have no first hand knowledge of the hubs but I have one observation.

Why the cutouts in the freehub? It's just inviting contaminates into another area of the hub normally sealed. That can't be good for the bearings.

I see that White Industries hubs are less expensive. Those are excellent hubs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ergott View Post

Why the cutouts in the freehub? It's just inviting contaminates into another area of the hub normally sealed. That can't be good for the bearings.

Good point.

And did you see the front? https://onyxrp.com/store/mtb-hubs/mt...mm-thru-helix/ (they make ones that are not cut out like that though).

I'm far from a stickler for keeping clean hubs but that looks like a nightmare to keep clean especially for a mountain, cx or gravel bike. The bearings may be very well sealed, but I still don't want a hub full of mud just because.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    A couple friends use them on their mountain bikes and love them due to their instant engagement on super low gear ratios (34 up front and 50 in back). I can understand how this would be beneficial on steep/technical climbs. No idea if it would be noticeable for gravel bike gear ratios. Maybe the drag free aspect of the hub would be beneficial for gravel/road descending but, I don't know...

wheelbuilder
    Looks like there's an option to have solid shells without the "windows" so that's what I'd get.

Adorable Furry Hombre

Thing with Whites...they're blingy, which I like. MUSA, which I like. They're even easily serviceable......but all the videos of CLD hubs I've watched make me think they're loud. Also more slack freehub engagement than even cheap Bitex. Also I swear I have read rumor of issues of lockring clearance with 15mm thru axles. If I'm wrong on any count-by all means tell me.

The windows...yea not doing it. Only thing I'm not liking the Onyx for is weight.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

wheelbuilder
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Thing with Whites...they're blingy, which I like. MUSA, which I like. They're even easily serviceable......but all the videos of CLD hubs I've watched make me think they're loud. Also more slack freehub engagement than even cheap Bitex. Also I swear I have read rumor of issues of lockring clearance with 15mm thru axles. If I'm wrong on any count-by all means tell me.

The windows...yea not doing it. Only thing I'm not liking the Onyx for is weight.
    The engagement was doubled a year or two ago. Anything more than 48 is hype in my opinion.
    HIGH ENGAGEMENT RETRO FIT INSTRUCTIONS — White Industries

I have never run into clearance issues with 15mm thru axles. They even include the lockring you need which not all hub makers do.

Definitely not loud in comparison to other hubs. In fact they are on the quieter side, especially since they changed their pawls and engagement ring design.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Only issue with lock ring is you can't use a internal spline,(like a shimano cassette) It has to be a external spline, same one use on the shimano external bottom bracket.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    The engagement was doubled a year or two ago. Anything more than 48 is hype in my opinion.
    HIGH ENGAGEMENT RETRO FIT INSTRUCTIONS — White Industries

I have never run into clearance issues with 15mm thru axles. They even include the lockring you need which not all hub makers do.

Definitely not loud in comparison to other hubs. In fact they are on the quieter side, especially since they changed their pawls and engagement ring design.
    Nailed it.

We're starting to see some interest in Onyx. The 6 bolt disc versions seem to have less than ideal geometry, while the center lock is better. Very expensive, all of them.

Engagement speed at low speed with low gear ratios is great, but I don't notice much functional difference between my mtb wheels with 48 point WI XMR hubs and the other set with 120(?) point I9 Torch hubs.

With 15mm or greater front axles, you need the HB-20 type (external) lock ring. WI changed their 12mm axle to fit with the internal lock ring because the external locking can interfere with flat mount brakes. If you have 15mm axle, there's like 0 chance you have flat mount brakes so no issue. And WI includes the lock ring for 15mm hubs (and QR, which are just 15mm with QR plugs).

changingleaf
    I don't know anyone that has Onyx hubs that isn't very happy with their choice.Yo, wheelbuilders: Onyx hubs?-onyx-nox-poseidon-green.jpg