your favorite light weight, all-weather 700 x 28 to 700 x 32 tire
    RoadBikeReview Member

your favorite light weight, all-weather 700 x 28 to 700 x 32 tire

Currently running Jack Brown Greens (295 grams). They roll pretty good but 700 x 33 feels like riding on basketballs. Thinking of getting some 700 x 28 Conti 4 seasons which are 260 grams (have the 700 x 25s on another bike and dig them). But what do you guys like? I'm in Seattle so those get ridden in the rain. A lot. Thanks.

Jack Brown GREEN 700c x 33.333 Light - 10091 - GREEN

Continental Bicycle -Grand Prix 4-Season

Online Wheel Builder
    I think the GP 4 Season is a great option. I run that tire in a 25c and I've found it to be pretty durable. They definitely aren't as supple as my Vittorias but I think they're a better option for rough roads. I think 28c is the biggest I'd go for most applications other than touring.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen Cyclery View Post
    I think the GP 4 Season is a great option. I run that tire in a 25c and I've found it to be pretty durable. They definitely aren't as supple as my Vittorias but I think they're a better option for rough roads. I think 28c is the biggest I'd go for most applications other than touring.
    Thanks. I like the width and bigger contact patch for the rain, especially over crummy pavement (with leaves and stuff) in the dark.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Vittoria Paves come in 27mm now if you could go that small. They are fantasitc riding tires but not sure if they fit what you are looking for. They're pretty rugged but definitely more a performance tires than something you'd probably want to slap on a unilitarian type bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Panaracer Gravelking in 28mm are some of my favorites. When mounted on 25mm (HED, in this case) rims, they measure 30.5mm. Smooth, fast, and grippy.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GRAVELBIKE View Post
    Panaracer Gravelking in 28mm are some of my favorites. When mounted on 25mm (HED, in this case) rims, they measure 30.5mm. Smooth, fast, and grippy.
    Cool. Was thinking of speccing out a new frame with those Grand Cru calipers as well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Chinaski View Post
    Cool. Was thinking of speccing out a new frame with those Grand Cru calipers as well.
    Depending on which levers you'll be using, you may also want to consider the TRP RG957 calipers. I'm running SRAM Force 22 levers, and the TRPs are a slightly better match for the SRAM's cable-pull/mechanical advantage.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Chinaski View Post
    I like the width and bigger contact patch for the rain, especially over crummy pavement (with leaves and stuff) in the dark.
    Contact patch size is determined by tire pressure, not tire size. The contact patch shape changes with tire width, but the size is the weight on the wheel (in lbs.) divided by tire pressure (in psi). Simple as that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Currently ... The Bontrager AW2 in 28c size.

I've rode Gatorskins and Panaracer RibMo's recently and much prefer the Bontragers. They roll faster, have better traction and better flat resistance than the others.
    Snakebit: "How many times do I have to tell you that I don't have a source? I don't make a note of everything I see or hear on the internet and you don't have to take my word for it."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    Contact patch size is determined by tire pressure, not tire size. The contact patch shape changes with tire width, but the size is the weight on the wheel (in lbs.) divided by tire pressure (in psi). Simple as that.
    Dammit Kerry!!!

I'm running the Jack Browns at 70 psi which I can't do with a 700 x 25