Your favorite wheels ever, and 'WHY' !!
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017

Your favorite wheels ever, and 'WHY' !!

Since I logged in this morning and found nothing new on the forum except PO and Lounge posts, I thought i'd start something cycling related (can't say I didn't try)...

Tell us about your most favorite set of wheels ever, and what you liked about them...

Some possible suggestions
    • They are/were BEAUTIFUL
    • BLING!
    • Super light!
    • Super FAST
    • Super Strong!
    • My grandma built them for me!

Bonus points for telling us where they are now

• Grandma took them back!
    • I gave them to my neighbors kid
    • STILL RIDING STRONG!
    • Lost in a plane crash
    • Lost in a bike crash
    • STOLEN!
    • Donated to Qhubeka (or a neighborhood bike Co-Op)

I'll start!
    My favorite wheelset was/is a pair of HED Belgium Plus on Chris King R45 Hubs 28f/28r

I like[d] them because they were my first really "nice" set of wheels, and they suffered through me losing almost 100lbs and now have almost 30k miles on them. They are old and tired, but still very much serviceable. I have never had to even true them. I did drop them off at the shop and had them serviced (fresh grease, etc...) last spring, but otherwise, they have been trouble free all this time. Sadly, they are rim brake wheels, and the only rim brake bike I own these days rarely gets ridden, so I guess they are semi-retired.

This isn't my wheels, but they are visually identical.

Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member
    haven't experimented with that many wheelsets...

have a set of Mavic OPs (32h) laced to 7400 DA hubs. sturdy, flawless performance. not feather-weight tho.

on my second set of DA C24s...the 7900 version had gray hubs which EXACTLY matched the bare Ti on the frame, looked sweet. sadly, they were killed by a jerk in a BMW who ran a stop sign. wheels had 22K miles, no complaints. light, nice smooth hubs.

second set (9000 series, black hubs) has 26K miles, no issues whatsoever.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

[REDACTED]
    Cycling related posts! What a concept!

Not sure I have a favorite set of wheels, but I would say since I learned to build wheels and got the wheel building bug, I have built 4 sets. All of them are nicer than any of the stock or factory wheel sets I have owned. I will list them in the order I built them:

HED Belgium C2 rims, Shimano Ultegra 6800 hubs, DT Swiss Competition spokes

DT Swiss R460 rims, Shimano Dura-Ace 9000 hubs, DT Swiss Aero Comp spokes

H+ Son Hydra rims, Shimano 770 hubs, DT Champion spokes

WTB KOM rims (650b), Shimano 770 hubs, DT Champion spokes

All brass nipples. I don't believe the slight weight reduction is worth the trade-off in durability.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Finx View Post
    Since I logged in this morning and found nothing new on the forum except PO and Lounge posts, I thought i'd start something cycling related (can't say I didn't try)...

Tell us about your most favorite set of wheels ever, and what you liked about them...

• They are/were BEAUTIFUL
    • BLING!
    • Super light!
    • Super FAST
    • Super Strong!
    • My grandma built them for me!

Bonus points for telling us where they are now

• Grandma took them back!
    • I gave them to my neighbors kid
    • STILL RIDING STRONG!
    • Lost in a plane crash
    • Lost in a bike crash
    • STOLEN!
    • Donated to Qhubeka (or a neighborhood bike Co-Op)

I'll start!
    My favorite wheelset was/is a pair of HED Belgium Plus on Chris King R45 Hubs 28f/28r

I like[d] them because they were my first really "nice" set of wheels, and they suffered through me losing almost 100lbs and now have almost 30k miles on them. They are old and tired, but still very much serviceable. I have never had to even true them. I did drop them off at the shop and had them serviced (fresh grease, etc...) last spring, but otherwise, they have been trouble free all this time. Sadly, they are rim brake wheels, and the only rim brake bike I own these days rarely gets ridden, so I guess they are semi-retired.
    I build my own wheels, so how could I not like what I'm on right now? Campy Record hubs, 32 spoke 3x, DT 15/16 butted spokes, Velocity A23 rims with OC rear rim. Over 40K miles on them and not a problem yet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Out of all of the wheels I've ridden, I've always loved each and every one of them equally despite their quirks and whether or not I built them myself. Just like one should love each of their children. Among my memories, in no particular order -

Mavic GP40 mated to Specialized sealed hub wheel, 36 db DT spokes. Best wheel I built myself, has over 40k miles on it. It's 27 inch, so it hasn't been ridden in a couple of decades. Rim tracks show considerable wear. I also have a spare 27 inch rim, 36 spoke in my garage.

A pair of Weimann concave rims I built myself, with my Shimano OEM hubs from my first 'real' bike. Although I built the front wheel slightly ovalized, I have completed several loaded tours on them.

An Ambrosia Elite wheel I built that got taco'd on about its third ride when I had flirtatious intentions with a friend of my sister. A beautiful wheel with a short life, as was our relationship.

A pair of then 'trick' wheels, (32 spoke, V-section rims, from the late 80s), built with Hi-E hubs by the son of the founder of Hi-E. Front wheel had bladed spokes. Got a sh!tton of miles on those wheels.

The last wheel on my last bike (Cannondale) that was upgraded bit by bit until I could afford good bikes out of the box - Had a White Industries hub seemed indestructible. I probably got 25k miles on that wheel with zero troubles before I sold the bike.

Mavic Heliums - Came with my first 'out of the box high end' bike needing no upgrades. It was on a ti bike that had some matching red anodized bits, looked beautiful. I recall breaking a rear DS spoke on that wheelset, but I don't begrudge.

The Bontrager Aeolus 3s that came on my Emonda. So slick and beautiful, that's my current ride. Upgrading brake pads was a bonus.

I also had my gravel wheels upgraded to Nox rims, with CX Sapim spokes. Very minimalist wheels for the thrashing they get.

I suppose my MTBs get slighted for the attention, love and appreciation the wheels get. But my last bike purchase was a 27.5 plus, and I splurged for a set of carbon 29er wheels. But I also appreciate the 27.5ers with extra fat 2.8 tires on those as well!

Don't discriminate! And when you replace what you've got, keep the loving vibes for what you've replaced. If you're not going to use them, find someone who will!