RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2018

Zipp 808 hub advice

I picked up a set of 808 firecrests with a s/h purchase of a TT bike - hubs are silver with a simple set of end caps that screw up tight, and you then tighten a pinch bolt with a small hex wrench. Front is absolutely fine, but the rear drags like hell when it is tightened up. If I back it off a bit it then spins nice, but has side to side play in the bike. Anyone have experience of this?

I know with a cup and cone hub you have this sort of balance point to get the pre-load right, but I expect a cartridge bearing hub to just be tightened up and ready to go. Plus, the front is fine so what's going wrong here?

Bearings themselves seem in good nick - it's the interface of the end cap with the hub shell that I'm not understanding. If it was a normal bike I'd just ride the thing anyhow, but there's vital Watts at stake here for the testing bike

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006
    Unfortunately, that's exactly the normal behaviour of this version of Zipp hubs. They made things better in subsequent versions. The theory is that the riders weight adds to the preload so it appears to be loose without the weight. The reality is that it's still a bit loose even with the rider in it.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

changingleaf
    You need to leave the preload adjust nut a little loose. The skewer will add additional force. A little bit of play is okay and you should be able to make it very small with the right adjustment.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006
    Yup. True. Problem with the old silver hubs is that the difference between too loose and just a little loose is so narrow it's almost impossible to achieve.
    Quote Originally Posted by changingleaf View Post
    You need to leave the preload adjust nut a little loose. The skewer will add additional force. A little bit of play is okay and you should be able to make it very small with the right adjustment.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2018
    Thanks for the advice - I'll have a play with it and see if I can find that sweetspot.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by goodboyr View Post
    Unfortunately, that's exactly the normal behaviour of this version of Zipp hubs. They made things better in subsequent versions. The theory is that the riders weight adds to the preload so it appears to be loose without the weight. The reality is that it's still a bit loose even with the rider in it.

^THIS!
    this version of their hub is junk in this regard. It's impossibly to tune out the freeplay. I ended up selling my 404 and this reason was a major contributing factor of me selling.

Having said that, I have never had issue with riding the wheel with the slight freeplay. But I still didn't like the freeplay and it bothered me enough to sell it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    You might want to google around for other issues including the front hub also. I know they've recalled some hubs and Q/R's but not sure about your particular wheels.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Miles Behind View Post
    I picked up a set of 808 firecrests with a s/h purchase of a TT bike - hubs are silver with a simple set of end caps that screw up tight, and you then tighten a pinch bolt with a small hex wrench. Front is absolutely fine, but the rear drags like hell when it is tightened up. If I back it off a bit it then spins nice, but has side to side play in the bike. Anyone have experience of this?

I know with a cup and cone hub you have this sort of balance point to get the pre-load right, but I expect a cartridge bearing hub to just be tightened up and ready to go. Plus, the front is fine so what's going wrong here?

Bearings themselves seem in good nick - it's the interface of the end cap with the hub shell that I'm not understanding. If it was a normal bike I'd just ride the thing anyhow, but there's vital Watts at stake here for the testing bike
    If you're mainly using the 808 for TT'ing, then I don't think the freeplay will affect you much since most of the time you will be riding your bike in a straightline on smooth surface. It's not like you're changing direction much or taking corner hard or going over rough pavement much where maybe the freeplay could potentially become worse over time. Not sure how much you weight but if you're like under 170 lbs, you're not really abusing the wheel much in the fashion you're using it (TT'ing).

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Yep known issue and do check to make sure your hubs aren't the recalled ones. There are photos on the Zipp site somewhere IIRC.

Honestly best solution is probably to rebuild the wheel with a better hub. The newest Zipps are pretty good for e.g. and there are many others. Nice thing is they don't use/need proprietary spokes/nipples or anything (ala' ENVE).
    Well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man. - The Dude